Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I graduate from Uni, I'd like to work as a bank cashier.

How hard is it to get a job at a high street bank?

I have a grade B in A level maths if this counts?

I'm just wondering if a bank cashier is more of a customer service roll that requires good sales skills.

Anyone know anything more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)

I'm just wondering if a bank cashier is more of a customer service roll that requires good sales skills.

You dont need to go to uni to work as a bank cashier. You just need 4 GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)

Banks welcome school leavers into cashier positions and while personality counts in this profession most will expect to see a minimum of four GCSEs (A-C) including English and maths.

You’ll get plenty of training on the job including courses such as:
    NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 in Customer Service
    NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 in Providing Financial Services

Full source for more: http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-adv...ob-description

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    You dont need to go to uni to work as a bank cashier. You just need 4 GCSEs.
    I'm a mature student and my academic record is quite bad. I only have 180 UCAS points, so I'm not going for grad jobs.

I can just about get a 2:1 if I push myself.

I've always wanted to be a cashier as I like handling and counting money...

I have good GCSEs, just bad a levels

ReputationRep:
    A bank cashier nowadays is just a sales roll - trust me - I started out as one in the mid 1980s - when cashiering was all you would do.Now if someone pays in a cheque for say £5000 you are supposed to spot that as a lead for selling a savings product - you are on the hunt for sales all the time - you are supposed to try to get them to sign up for on-line banking / sell them a credit card / mortgage etc - all the banks are trying to shift as much as they can on-line - if you are happy with selling you could be a personal banker or a small business manager - as they still need a person to be first point of contact for sales - but it is getting more and more automated.When I started it was "a job for life". My brother still works for the same high street bank that I did - and for both of us it meant that we are not really trained to work anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Yea you can go into any bank now and use machines to pay in money and do your banking online.

Maybe a cashier job will be fully automated soon and the job won't exist anymore

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me you will be overqualified for the position. Apply for grad jobs.

No. apply for IB positions. You're overqualified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.