Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So was planning on going to university this September to study business and management, my top choice was Westminster University but now I'm having major second thoughts so I'm thinking of doing a Business and Management degree at the Open University- thoughts anyone? I can't decide whether this is good choice, whether you actually gain a degree out of it much like if I went to a traditional uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TempanyT)
    So was planning on going to university this September to study business and management, my top choice was Westminster University but now I'm having major second thoughts so I'm thinking of doing a Business and Management degree at the Open University- thoughts anyone? I can't decide whether this is good choice, whether you actually gain a degree out of it much like if I went to a traditional uni?
    You do gain a real degree, yes. The main difference is it's classed as part time study however many credits you take per year so you don't get student finance to live on (although you do get student finance for your tuition fees). That means you have to work/get money some other way while studying, but it does mean you'll end up in less debt than you would if you went to a physical uni. They recommend you take around 60 credits per year so a degree would take you 6 years, but it is possible to take 120 credits per year as if you were doing full time study. I've looked at the Open Uni a lot and have seriously considered studying with them but have ultimately decided to go a different route (for the moment). They offer good learning materials and I think it's a good way to get a degree if you don't fancy going to a physical uni, or you can't go for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TempanyT)
    Hello, I'm Gin and originally i was planning to go to a traditional university to do business management after my gap year (which I'm currently on). But i decided to do it at open uni whilst working full time as it is less debt and resources are provided.However I think it's up to you , depending on your lifestyle and how you study would decide if traditional or distance learning is more suited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    You do gain a real degree, yes. The main difference is it's classed as part time study however many credits you take per year so you don't get student finance to live on (although you do get student finance for your tuition fees). That means you have to work/get money some other way while studying, but it does mean you'll end up in less debt than you would if you went to a physical uni. They recommend you take around 60 credits per year so a degree would take you 6 years, but it is possible to take 120 credits per year as if you were doing full time study. I've looked at the Open Uni a lot and have seriously considered studying with them but have ultimately decided to go a different route (for the moment). They offer good learning materials and I think it's a good way to get a degree if you don't fancy going to a physical uni, or you can't go for any reason.
    Thanks for the reply! I think I'd rather either get a job and work my way up or get an apprenticeship to gain experience for what I want to do even though this does not pay much in order to pay for OU definitely. I think I would do the three years at OU just for personal preference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinigamiGin)
    Hello, I'm Gin and originally i was planning to go to a traditional university to do business management after my gap year (which I'm currently on). But i decided to do it at open uni whilst working full time as it is less debt and resources are provided.However I think it's up to you , depending on your lifestyle and how you study would decide if traditional or distance learning is more suited.
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm similar in the sense that doing OU I would not have as much debt which is so good! Only thing is, I liked the idea of moving out and living in London which was a reason for going to a traditional uni and unfortunately I would not be able to do that if I did OU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.