Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been rejected from 4/5 of my UCAS applications - politics/international relations at Sussex, Reading, Brighton and Middlesex. I was given a conditional offer from Goldsmiths.

I am pretty devastated and feel like an idiot because most of my friends got 5/5 offers and some even got unconditional offers.

I did not study A-Levels, instead I did a level 3 diploma in journalism, and I emailed the universities beforehand to check if they would accept my qualifications - they all said they would, but they all state the reason for rejecting me to be my qualifications. Why did they lie?

The UCAS advisor at my college said that my personal statement was very good - I had a years worth of work experience at a TV station, a popular and established newspaper, and an indie magazine, plus I have had many articles published. This is a lot more experience than most of my friends who went to Sixth Form so I am pretty sad to only get one offer.

Any advice, and anyone else in the same situation? The one offer I did get is in London and after doing a student finance calculator I don't think I'll be able to afford to live in London, so should I just take a get a job and forget about uni?

(Original post by vanessa409)
    I have been rejected from 4/5 of my UCAS applications - politics/international relations at Sussex, Reading, Brighton and Middlesex. I was given a conditional offer from Goldsmiths.

I am pretty devastated and feel like an idiot because most of my friends got 5/5 offers and some even got unconditional offers.

I did not study A-Levels, instead I did a level 3 diploma in journalism, and I emailed the universities beforehand to check if they would accept my qualifications - they all said they would, but they all state the reason for rejecting me to be my qualifications. Why did they lie?

The UCAS advisor at my college personal said that my personal statement was very good - I had a years worth of work experience at a TV station, a popular and established newspaper, and an indie magazine, plus I have had many articles published. This is a lot more experience than most of my friends who went to Sixth Form so I am pretty sad to only get one offer.

Any advice, and anyone else in the same situation? The one offer I did get is in London and after doing a student finance calculator I don't think I'll be able to afford to live in London, so should I just take a get a job and forget about uni?
    They may have just had a preference for A level/IB students, even though they didn't exclude those with BTECs.

Don't give up on uni because of finance. Have you applied for student finance? Your maintenance loan can be up to £10,702 when living in London. Have a look into scholarships at your uni and apply for those early. Your uni will usually give you priority for bursaries if funding could stop you from studying there also you can always get a part time job as I don't think your course is very much lecture heavy!

ReputationRep:
    You can decline Goldsmiths and therefore, go into UCAS Extra to try your luck there. But, only do it if you are 100% certain that you don't want to go to Goldsmiths.

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is a good university and you do get a larger amount of student loan if you are living in London - are there any Higher apprenticeships out there at all for what you want to do? -

ReputationRep:

The UCAS advisor at my college said that my personal statement was very good - I had a years worth of work experience at a TV station, a popular and established newspaper, and an indie magazine, plus I have had many articles published. This is a lot more experience than most of my friends who went to Sixth Form so I am pretty sad to only get one offer.

I haven't been able to find this qualification on the ucas points tariff and maybe this is why the unis rejected you. Check the full name of the course you are studying and if it is on the Ucas Tariff ring the admissions tutor of the university you wish to go to and ask whether they would consider an appeal against the rejection.
    Brighton and Sussex both have Politics in Extra so there is a chance they have spaces and it is for you to prove the course is acceptable. If it is a btec Reading require an A level as well so probably best give them a miss.

ReputationRep:
    Take year out and complete an access course? It will likely improve your chances of getting into university.

ReputationRep:
    Extra or clearing should get you somewhere your happy with good luck, oh and your not missing anything in Reading it's got a nice campus but the town well it's another story.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear of your plight, however Goldsmiths, UOL is a solid uni.

In regards to your rejections, they probably have a preference with A Levels but will also accept BTEC. Unfortunately, Sussex, Reading and Brighton are all good universities and reading especially is quickly becoming a candidate for future Russell Group, i would argue (maybe 10 years off.) Therefore they are getting more and more applicants, and they might consider an A level student more rounded, insofar that their studies aren't just on 1 subject.

Another thing to consider is that for Politics/International Relations, journalism BTEC's might not 100% be the best fit, especially at strong uni's. It is related, I know, as I know there are journalistic elements, but a lot of people I know who did politics undertook economics, history, philosophy over English, creative studies, journalism(I did English myself at BA and will be at MA this year.) Have you considered studying journalism based degree???

Also, If there are any degrees of your type with a foundation year, you are much more likely to get onto these. It'll mean an extra year in uni (4, instead of 3) but at the end you'll have the same degree. If you don't get into your last place OR don't want to take it, then take another year, work to build up your portfolio and consider some other colleges.

Finally, many unis having spots in clearing. Consider this.

There are plenty of options to you; if you're gutted, it says to me you do really want to go to uni.

If it was me, i'd be sad too, but take Goldsmiths. It's actually a good college, and AFTER uni, if you keep undertaking more experience, your CV should be great

ReputationRep:
    What did the universities actually say? If they just said they accept/consider applicants with your qualification, it may be that your grades weren't good enough compared to other applicants. Could the issue be another qualification, such as your GCSEs?

If they've rejected you on the basis that they don't accept your qualification, and they've previously stated in writing then they did, then that is bad practice. If this is the case, I would suggest contacting UCAS for advice.

That said, a lot of your experience is journalism related, and so is your level 3 qualification. I wonder if some of the unis assumed you'd applied to journalism courses elsewhere and would have preferred a journalism course to theirs?

ReputationRep:

Think about it as you got accepted by 20% of your choices, glass half full brother.

ReputationRep:

It's not the number of offers but the achievability and the quality - and Goldsmiths is better than two of your other choices.

If you have only now looked into the costs of studying in London that is your fault alone. However, don't discount the benefits of studying at a uni which is part of the UoL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.