Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In my lectures I was told 2 protons pumped per molecule of PQH2 reduced to PQ.
    However, in my textbook (stryer), it explains that 1 molecule of PQH2 transfers 2 e- to 2 PC, one at a time, to form 1 molecule of PQ and 2 molecule of reduced PC. The 2 protons flow into the thylakoid space.
    Then, 1 molecule of PQ is reduced to PQH2 with protons from the stroma. The PQH2 is reoxidised to form PQ and the 2 protons flow into thyakoid space.

Therefore, in total, 4 protons are pumped into the thylakoid space/ PQH2. As there are 2 molecules of PQH2 formed by the oxidation of 2 molecules of water, 8 protons ought to be pumped in total. This is as the textbook explains, contrary to what my lecturer says who hasn't given an explanation as to why it's 2.

Any help? Thanks
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.