Turn on thread page Beta

boyfriend not allowed to sleep over watch

my boyfriend and i have been together for 6 months and my parents won't let him stay in my room. Obviously I really want him to but I can't tell if my parents are right to not let him. Some of my friends say they're being archaic and they can't own my sexuality ect whilst others say it's fair enough in their house.

Who is right?

If you're under 18 they have the complete right to refuse and frankly should do so, if you're older move out and live by your own rules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my boyfriend and i have been together for 6 months and my parents won't let him stay in my room. Obviously I really want him to but I can't tell if my parents are right to not let him. Some of my friends say they're being archaic and they can't own my sexuality ect whilst others say it's fair enough in their house.

Who is right?
    absolutely it's fair enough- it's their house.
    maybe in the future convince them that nothing 'dodgy' is gonna happen or perhaps when the relationship progresses they may accept it due to the trusted commitment the two of you have towards each other.
    i never ever thought my parents would let me invite mine over and now they do because they really like him and trust the two of us- try make that happen
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Their house, their rules.

ReputationRep:
    This is hardly a big deal. Just listen to your parents. If you have a problem, move out, and get your own place as anon 2 said. It's not that difficult.
    They are in the right. You are in the wrong.

The End.

ReputationRep:
    Sneak him in through your bedroom window?

ReputationRep:
    My parents would be the same. They know I do what I want when I'm not staying there and they trust me, but it's their house and I respect the fact that they wouldn't want us sharing a bed in their house

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem and in fact I STILL have this problem... I have been with my girlfriend 3 years and we are not allowed to share the same room.... She as sneaked in sometimes... I can see why you are kind of mad...Because I bet you don't even want to do anything sexual? But unfortunately it's not your house it's your parents... and in there eyes... Your boyfriend will be wanting sexual pleasure of some kind...

How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    It may be their house their rules, but it still sounds like a very unreasonable rule, depending on how old you are.

ReputationRep:
    It's their house.

I respect this even if I don't necessarily agree.

ReputationRep:
    It's their house so their rules, but if you are over 18 then i would say they are being a bit unreasonable (as long as they have met and like the guy). If you are under 18 they are defintely doing the right thing, i wouldn't allow it either

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

Bottom line is, if you don't like it, move out. Rather reminds me of this mug that my parents bought me as a teenager:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...534fa60c18.jpg
    (though following that advice turned out to be a vast improvement!)

(Original post by spv)
    This is hardly a big deal. Just listen to your parents. If you have a problem, move out, and get your own place as anon 2 said. It's not that difficult.
    They are in the right. You are in the wrong.

The End.
    It seems unjustified to say i am in the wrong when i never stated my stance.

(Original post by urbanlocations)
    I had this problem and in fact I STILL have this problem... I have been with my girlfriend 3 years and we are not allowed to share the same room.... She as sneaked in sometimes... I can see why you are kind of mad...Because I bet you don't even want to do anything sexual? But unfortunately it's not your house it's your parents... and in there eyes... Your boyfriend will be wanting sexual pleasure of some kind...

How old are you?
    I would also be wanting sexual pleasure but we manage that anyway. Im an old romantic, i want to wake up in the arms of the man i love
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    It may be their house their rules, but it still sounds like a very unreasonable rule, depending on how old you are.
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    It's their house so their rules, but if you are over 18 then i would say they are being a bit unreasonable (as long as they have met and like the guy). If you are under 18 they are defintely doing the right thing, i wouldn't allow it either
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    How old are you?

Bottom line is, if you don't like it, move out. Rather reminds me of this mug that my parents bought me as a teenager:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...534fa60c18.jpg
    (though following that advice turned out to be a vast improvement!)
    If you're under 18 they have the complete right to refuse and frankly should do so, if you're older move out and live by your own rules?
    For those asking I'm 18

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when parents are absolute prudes. my parents were the same.

ReputationRep:
    It seems unjustified to say i am in the wrong when i never stated my stance.
    If you didn't have a problem with what your parents are saying, this thread wouldn't be here. By logic, one can ascertain your view is not of your parents. Duh?

ReputationRep:
    Oh for goodness sake. I would be embarrassed to have my boyfriend over like that - you seem quite immature and the relationship is relatively new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Oh for goodness sake. I would be embarrassed to have my boyfriend over like that - you seem quite immature and the relationship is relatively new.
    Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    omg are you serious, you're not actually suppose to ask...the whole part of the fun is sneaking him in when they have gone to work.

ReputationRep:
    Banging a girl while her parents are in the other room is quite the fantasy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.