Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

European Super League watch

ReputationRep:
    No more Champions League?

ENGLAND’S five biggest clubs have held secret talks about a new European Super League.Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool all met with American billionaire Stephen Ross at London’s Dorchester Hotel on Tuesday.Old Trafford executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and Liverpool’s Ian Ayre ALL emerged smiling and shaking hands after the clandestine meeting.

Ross’ plans are the biggest threat to the English game since the Premier League breakaway in 1992 — and would spell the end of Uefa’s Champions League.Ross, the owner of the Miami Dolphins and brains behind the International Champions Cup, invited the big five to the lengthy and detailed talks at the hotel on Park Lane.

The new competition would see the English elite join with top clubs round Europe and cut out the risks of them missing out on Champions League millions every season if they fail to qualify.That would benefit the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, who fear missing out this season with Leicester and Spurs - conspicuous by their apparent absence - currently filling the top two slots.

United face the loss of vast revenue as they are set to miss out on the Champions League for the second time in three seasons.Liverpool are also enthusiastic about the idea as they are a global name but have not been in the elite competition too often recently - just once since 2010 while Chelsea’s balance sheet needs top-tier European football.Arsenal and City would not want to miss out on a huge cash windfall either and if Ross can set up the European Super League it would be the end of UEFA’s competition and be one of the biggest breakaways in football history.

Ross hopes to have an agreement to launch the league shortly. The veteran wheeler dealer Ross would guarantee even more money for England’s top clubs and take away the fear of failing to qualify.American real estate developer Ross, who has a net worth of more than £3billion, has been involved in the International Champions Cup in America, China and Australia, with a contacts book to put others to shame.TV deals would be massive for the invited clubs and reach wide audiences, with the American and Chinese interest in Europe’s top clubs still growing.The ICC was his creation and has been a runaway success. Crowds in America reached record levels and TV audiences were big worldwide.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage..._-Imageandlink

ReputationRep:
    Strong source

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just another way to suck even more money out of our pockets

ReputationRep:
    Can't see it happening in that form. Why would the other 15 members of the Premier League agree to that? It would be like the Premier League scrapping relegation and fixing the members who can play.

Some form of European Super League will happen eventually since there is too much money to be made from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Can't see it happening in that form. Why would the other 15 members of the Premier League agree to that? It would be like the Premier League scrapping relegation and fixing the members who can play.

Some form of European Super League will happen eventually since there is too much money to be made from it.
    The rest of the PL don't have to agree to it because the elite teams would be essentially just forming their own league and leaving Champions League.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With the rise of the UEFA Nations League in 2018, I can see this happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    The rest of the PL don't have to agree to it because the elite teams would be essentially just forming their own league and leaving Champions League.
    Yes but if you are Spurs, why would you accept being excluded from securing a qualification place in a competition which will generate huge revenues?

At the moment, the top 3 PL sides get CL qualification and 4th plays the CL qualifier. I don't see how the clubs can unilaterally decide that they will partake in another competition instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Yes but if you are Spurs, why would you accept being excluded from securing a qualification place in a competition which will generate huge revenues?

At the moment, the top 3 PL sides get CL qualification and 4th plays the CL qualifier. I don't see how the clubs can unilaterally decide that they will partake in another competition instead.
    What can Spurs do if the elite teams decide to create their own league which is external to everything else? Nothing. They can't do anything at all but cry about how they weren't involved. The only thing they could do is to try to convince them to include you.

ReputationRep:
    The details have to be worked out, but I think the general idea is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Part of me would like to see this happen due to curiosity too but it's quite funny that now Leicester and Tottenham are looking strong to gain a CL place, the elite PL teams are scared and have to do something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    What can Spurs do if the elite teams decide to create their own league which is external to everything else? Nothing. They can't do anything at all but cry about how they weren't involved. The only thing they could do is to try to convince them to include you.
    I guess if those clubs leave their domestic leagues then there's nothing they can do but if they want to participate again on a domestic level then I presume consent is needed from the other PL teams? Must be restrictions in the current agreement to stop it. If the big teams all left, all of the other clubs would lose their bumper TV deals.

ReputationRep:
    We will have a European Super League. The best teams should be playing each other regularly the PL is a joke league now

ReputationRep:
    If this is going to happen I will have yo be with UEFAs blessing and I just don't think they will allow someone to set up a direct competitor to the CL and then steal all their big clubs.

I'm not sure that clubs will want to risk the uncertainty of leaving the UEFA umbrella either.

ReputationRep:
    What is super or elite about these five?

(Original post by al_94)
    We will have a European Super League. The best teams should be playing each other regularly the PL is a joke league now
    ... And these five are the punch line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    What is super or elite about these five?
    The money they are able to generate. All of them make over £100mil from their commercial revenues.

ReputationRep:
    BBC sport is saying Arsenal are strongly opposed to this European super league
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by al_94)
    PL is the only truely competitive league in Europe. Everything else is a 1/2/3 horse race

France - PSG
    Germany - Bayern
    Italy - Juventus
    Spain - The Madrids & Barca
    Portugal - Benfica & Porto
    Russia - Zenit/CSKA
    Ukraine - Shakhtar/Kiev
    Holland - Ajax/PSV

Anyway a European Super League with no relegation is an utterly dreadful idea and it will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    BBC sport is saying Arsenal are strongly opposed to this European super league
    Probably because they take pride in coming 4th every year hence qualifying for a spot which is basically Arsenal's equivalence to trophies. You can't take qualification from you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    PL is the only truely competitive league in Europe. Everything else is a 1/2/3 horse race

France - PSG
    Germany - Bayern
    Italy - Juventus
    Spain - The Madrids & Barca
    Portugal - Benfica & Porto
    Russia - Zenit/CSKA
    Ukraine - Shakhtar/Kiev
    Holland - Ajax/PSV

Anyway a European Super League with no relegation is an utterly dreadful idea and it will never happen.
    The quality of the PL football is not that great I watched most of the big games they cannot compare to La Liga look at how they play in the PL most recently Arsenal vs Leicester and compare it to Real Madrid vs Atletico anyone can see La Liga quality is infinitely superior. La Liga is a competitive league it's just this season Barca are so good.

ReputationRep:
    You can't always have everything. For years people have complained about the same teams competing for the title and/or there being few teams in the title race and this year we have new teams at the top and four teams in the title race. I, for one, am pleased with what we have this year.

Outstanding quality doesn't necessarily equal entertaining and poor quality doesn't mean it's not entertaining. I couldn't give a damn if La Liga is better quality because I've been gripped and thoroughly entertained by the Premier League this season.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.