Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently, I play the piano and I dance. I've applied to be a volunteer at my local hospital. Is that enough to get me into medical school? What other after school stuff do I need to do? Should I join St. Johns Ambulance as a cadet? Should I do volunteering somewhere else?

Also, I am going to choose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French at A-level. Will French put me at a disadvantage to other applicants who have taken another science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.jacob)
    Currently, I play the piano and I dance. I've applied to be a volunteer at my local hospital. Is that enough to get me into medical school? What other after school stuff do I need to do? Should I join St. Johns Ambulance as a cadet? Should I do volunteering somewhere else?

Also, I am going to choose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics at A-level. Should I swap the Physics for Psychology, or something else?
    its not about quantity, its about quality of work experience. If you feel as though you have gotten value experience (and and describe several situations where you have expressed various qualities that a doctor should have) then theres no real need to do more. But remember that its what YOU have done, theres not much use in seeings lots of interesting person becuase all it does is show that you have eyes.
    On top of demonstrating the qualities needed for medicine in your work experience, you also need to demonstrate that you know what a docor actaully does and what is involved, so when you write about it or talk about it in your interview, try choose eamples where you show that you've understood that doctors don't just cure everything, that its complex and often times it is only management or palliative care etc.
    You will need at least about 1 year of experience working in a care giving environment (whether paid or voluntary doesn't matter). work shadowing doens't add too much since few can actually get shadowing experiecne, but if you can get it, why not? but I wouldn't go into detail about it, probably mentioning it is sufficient to say you've done it, you've seen what a doctor does day to day.

As for your A levels, other than chemistry and biology, jsut pick what you find interesting or if you jsut want to increase chances of getting in, pick any subject you think you'll get the best mark in. Generally most medical schools don't really care what your 3 a level is provided you get the cut off grades (with the exception of a few, like general studies, critical thinking- but check and make sure, since some unis have extra requirements if your 3 a level is something like mediastudies, art, PE etc.)

Get your work experience, keep up your extra cirriculars, get the grades, get UKCAT/BMAT scores above the cut offs and put your experiences and express (sincerely and believably- i.e try avoid saying you've wanted to be a doctor your whole life since its cliched, or your parents are doctors so you want to be a doctor since it tells them you're only blinding following their footsteps and haven't thought aout it properly) why you want to study medicine onto an amazing personal statement, and then smash your interview

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that each year people get keen'er and keen'er.

Your like 2 years off from applying! Chill out and enjoy what your doing now. Do things you enjoy, they will benefit your application regardless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legit)
    Why is it that each year people get keen'er and keen'er.

Your like 2 years off from applying! Chill out and enjoy what your doing now. Do things you enjoy, they will benefit your application regardless
    Well, I found out that Medicine had a 60% rejection rate. So I'm just a bit concerned, but thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    its not about quantity, its about quality of work experience. If you feel as though you have gotten value experience (and and describe several situations where you have expressed various qualities that a doctor should have) then theres no real need to do more. But remember that its what YOU have done, theres not much use in seeings lots of interesting person becuase all it does is show that you have eyes.
    On top of demonstrating the qualities needed for medicine in your work experience, you also need to demonstrate that you know what a docor actaully does and what is involved, so when you write about it or talk about it in your interview, try choose eamples where you show that you've understood that doctors don't just cure everything, that its complex and often times it is only management or palliative care etc.
    You will need at least about 1 year of experience working in a care giving environment (whether paid or voluntary doesn't matter). work shadowing doens't add too much since few can actually get shadowing experiecne, but if you can get it, why not? but I wouldn't go into detail about it, probably mentioning it is sufficient to say you've done it, you've seen what a doctor does day to day.

As for your A levels, other than chemistry and biology, jsut pick what you find interesting or if you jsut want to increase chances of getting in, pick any subject you think you'll get the best mark in. Generally most medical schools don't really care what your 3 a level is provided you get the cut off grades (with the exception of a few, like general studies, critical thinking- but check and make sure, since some unis have extra requirements if your 3 a level is something like mediastudies, art, PE etc.)

Get your work experience, keep up your extra cirriculars, get the grades, get UKCAT/BMAT scores above the cut offs and put your experiences and express (sincerely and believably- i.e try avoid saying you've wanted to be a doctor your whole life since its cliched, or your parents are doctors so you want to be a doctor since it tells them you're only blinding following their footsteps and haven't thought aout it properly) why you want to study medicine onto an amazing personal statement, and then smash your interview
    Thank you so much for the advice. I was thinking abou taking Math, Chemistry, Biology and French, Is french a bad idea?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.