Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Entitlement is a concept I find hard to grasp, as I expect many millennials do.
    We all feel entitled to certain things, which when thought about logically, we aren't really entitled to at all.
    I've heard that this "entitlement complex" is more of a Western/First World phenomenon and was wondering how it came about.

In truth, sentiments such as "I deserve to live in a mansion and have a high paying job" or "I deserve to be offered a spot at that elite uni" are just plain illogical, but why?

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The respect of other human beings, we're entitled to make our own choices and live happy lives without fear of getting hurt but other than that not really imo, in terms of material things I'm certainly no more 'entitled' to my easy life than anyone else in the world and vise versa
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think it's the idea that if a society is sufficiently advanced enough to improve people's lives then, as altruistic beings, it's in our interests to do so. For instance, as a society we are capable of caring for everybody's welfare needs and since most humans do care about the welfare of others and want people to live fulfilled, healthy lives, we agree that providing universal welfare is a good thing and therefore people feel entitled to it.

ReputationRep:
    negative liberty, because it doesn't cost anybody else anything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.