Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I still apply to a uni even though I haven't through UCAS yet? (Exeter) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So far my top choices are Bristol and York on my UCAS offers list for straight history.

But I didn't realise how perfect the course (History and Ancient History) was at Exeter, so haven't applied there through UCAS. I've checked Extra to see if this course at Exeter is available, but it's not at the moment.

Is it very unlikely that history courses at the higher end of unis come up in Clearing/Adjustment? And if I accept the offer at Bristol or York is it still possible to call up and switch to Exeter on Results day if there are places? Grades shouldn't be a problem in applying but I feel I've left it too late, even though this is kinda the dream course.

Thanks for your help! Any suggestions much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dicaeopolis)
    So far my top choices are Bristol and York on my UCAS offers list for straight history.

But I didn't realise how perfect the course (History and Ancient History) was at Exeter, so haven't applied there through UCAS. I've checked Extra to see if this course at Exeter is available, but it's not at the moment.

Is it very unlikely that history courses at the higher end of unis come up in Clearing/Adjustment? And if I accept the offer at Bristol or York is it still possible to call up and switch to Exeter on Results day if there are places? Grades shouldn't be a problem in applying but I feel I've left it too late, even though this is kinda the dream course.

Thanks for your help! Any suggestions much appreciated
    In the past two years, courses at top universities have been available where they wouldn't have been in the past. The best way to check is to get copies of the results day papers through your local library- look at 2014 and 2015, and see if it was available on either of these years. If it wasn't, the chances of it being available this year are pretty small. If it was, then it might be again this year, but equally, depending on how things work out, it might not be.

If you apply via adjustment, you can apply to courses not on the clearing list. However, to apply via adjustment, you'd need to exceed your offers- so if they are both AAA, then you'd need a minimum of A*AA to apply via adjustment. You need to be honest with yourself about how likely this is. The good thing about adjustment is there's no risk. If Exeter turn you down, you've still got your original place.

Switching courses via clearing on results day is harder. Before you can enter clearing, you need to be not holding any offers. So, if you're accepted on results day, you would have to ring your firm and ask to be released from your offer. Usually, this is a pretty quick process, but on results day, admissions departments are very busy and you won't be a priority- so expect being released to take a minimum of 24-48 hours. Things move very fast in clearing, so by the time you're released, the course at Exeter might be full. Universities can't give out offers until you have a clearing number, and many won't even talk to you if you don't have one.

Changing courses on results day runs the risk of ending up with nothing- it's only worth trying if you're willing to take a gap year and reapply, in which case, if this really is the perfect course, why not think about doing that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.