Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study a language degree but i only have 2 a levels. Ive done a beginners french course to help but im worried they (soas) wont accept me as my alevels are CC in media and art. My current workplace will let me relocate if i do this degree too
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The best thing you can do is talk to the admissions tutor for the degree you're interested in. But 2 A levels at grade C will almost certainly not be enough to get you in. Have you considered doing an Access to HE course? They are widely accepted by universities as an alternative to A levels.

SOAS Student Helper
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by artmandem)
    I want to study a language degree but i only have 2 a levels. Ive done a beginners french course to help but im worried they (soas) wont accept me as my alevels are CC in media and art. My current workplace will let me relocate if i do this degree too
    Hi artmandem,

Although we usually require three full A levels (or equivalent qualifications) that meet our entry requirements to be able to consider your application, there are other routes available.

An Access to Higher Education course might be a good option to consider. The Access courses are usually one year courses (or longer part-time) taught in further education colleges around the country. As you are hoping to apply to SOAS we usually recommend either the Access to Humanities or the Access to Social Sciences (or a combination of the two).

We would look for you to have taken a full 60 credit Access course, with at least 45 of the credits being at level 3. Our current entry requirements for the Access are that a minimum of 30 of the level 3 credits should be at distinction and at least another 15 level 3 credits should be at merit level.

As you are looking to apply to a language degree we would also be looking to see previous experience of language learning. This could be at A level, GCSE and sometimes we may be able to consider language classes depending on the degree you are applying for and the type of language course you have taken. For further advice on this you can contact our undergraduate admissions team by emailing [email protected]

Also just to mention that all of our undergrad degrees are taught on a full-time basis.

I hope this helps!

Laura

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.