Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, I have to chose my modules for next year in the next couple of weeks, however, I've noted the modules which take my fancy can all be done, only problem is they accumulate to more than 120 credits.

I want to know if it is possible to take more than 120 credits in any one year and also, will it benefit me or make me more desirable career wise?

If I add up all the credits I want to take, it will either be 150 or 165 if I am allowed to do a third optional module. =)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Well, I have to chose my modules for next year in the next couple of weeks, however, I've noted the modules which take my fancy can all be done, only problem is they accumulate to more than 120 credits.

I want to know if it is possible to take more than 120 credits in any one year and also, will it benefit me or make me more desirable career wise?

If I add up all the credits I want to take, it will either be 150 or 165 if I am allowed to do a third optional module. =)
    This depends on your degree regulations.

My degree allowed me to take 2 additional modules every year but only the grades from the core modules and the best modules were counted since I graduated they changed the regs and extra modules weren't allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Only your uni will be able to tell you, as each will have different regs. If you aren't allowed to do an extra module for credits, you can ask to sit in on lectures for interest. You get the benefits of the lectures/reading lists without having to do coursework - plus brownie points for enthusiasm, which might play well when you go looking for your job/academic references at the end of your degree.

I accidentally did an extra module in my second undergrad year (an admin process to make us choose between two modules was missed, so we did both). The extra credits weren't counted towards my final mark, but they did appear on my transcript.

During my Masters, we were encouraged to sit in on as many undergrad/postgrad modules as we fancied. However we weren't permitted to take them for credits, so we didn't do the coursework. There was some preparatory reading for most though, so they were still extra work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

As others have said whether you can or not will depend on your uni. Whether it will benefit you? Depends how dedicated to your course you are. If it's just going to make you miserable having even more coursework to do, then it won't. However if your someone who throws yourself into your books then you could get something out of it. Career wise, unless the extra modules include a placement I can't see them making too much difference.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.