The Student Room Group

If I drop out of university can I reapply for the next year?

I've decided I'm wanting to change my course and have been looking into it for the past few weeks as well as talking to tutors and I feel that i want to change what I'm doing. Since I am two terms into first year, I was just wondering if I could drop out and then reapply for the next year? I've read since I was a first year I'd still get 3 years funding but would there be any other problems I'd run into?
Reply 1
Original post by vaxorus
I've decided I'm wanting to change my course and have been looking into it for the past few weeks as well as talking to tutors and I feel that i want to change what I'm doing. Since I am two terms into first year, I was just wondering if I could drop out and then reapply for the next year? I've read since I was a first year I'd still get 3 years funding but would there be any other problems I'd run into?

You'll be fine. Everyone gets an extra "grace" year of Student Finance funding, to allow for a situation like yours.

The only potential wrinkle would be if you had to retake a year of your new degree. You would have used your extra year, so you'd have to fund it - including paying your own tuition fees - yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
You'll be fine. Everyone gets an extra "grace" year of Student Finance funding, to allow for a situation like yours.

The only potential wrinkle would be if you had to retake a year of your new degree. You would have used your extra year, so you'd have to fund it - including paying your own tuition fees - yourself.

Right thanks, If i reapplied to the same University would they not care that i'd previously dropped out of their university?
Reply 3
Original post by vaxorus
Right thanks, If i reapplied to the same University would they not care that i'd previously dropped out of their university?

This depends on the uni, the course, and your marks so far. Some degrees have extra rules because of awarding bodies - so some health care courses can't let you back. Other unis might not want you back if you were failing. You would need to ask your papal tutor or check your handbook.
Reply 4
Original post by vaxorus

Why not speak to your uni about transferring to their other course instead of just dropping out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Why not speak to your uni about transferring to their other course instead of just dropping out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just contacted them about this, not sure if I can switch across different faculties but I'll see
Reply 6
Original post by vaxorus
I've just contacted them about this, not sure if I can switch across different faculties but I'll see

Good luck.

And even if they don't there's not much point dropping out at this stage, you may as well complete the year. You've paid for it anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending