Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im wanting to move away for university but i wouldn't be entitled to much for my maintenance loan due to my parents wages. The problem that they are unable to help me afford uni. My mum seems to think that i would have to work 32 hours to earn £800 per month just to afford it. So do i have any other options or will i have to stay at home and go to a local uni. Im wanting to do a undergraduate primary education with qts degree and have seen some teaching courses for uni have bursaries would i be entitled this for my course?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get much either but it should be do-able, Can you not save before you go and then get a part time job while you're there? Even 12 hours a week will be an extra £300 or so a month

ReputationRep:
    This is why student finance should not ask for parents income....

ReputationRep:
    could you take a gap year and work full time and save? it's not ideal but the problem with relying on a job once you reach uni is that you can't guarantee getting one... during your gap year you could try and find an employer who would let you transfer when you move away too then you could just work a few hours during uni to keep topped up

ReputationRep:
    So you have a few options:

1) Tell your parents to get off their high horse and accept that if they're earning the amount where you're not getting that much loan that they can afford to help you with living costs (for one you're not going to be around for most of the year so that frees up about £1.5k in itself)

2) Find a holiday job which will give you reliable employment for 25 hours+ per week, that will net you enough to top up your loan to a liveable amount.

ReputationRep:
    What is the loan amount you get and how much is accommodation you will go for?

ReputationRep:
    If you do get a part time job, it'll have to be fairly flexible. During first year and possibly second year, it should be ok, but I couldn't imagine working weekends right now during my final placement. I even suffered when I worked through half term during this placement! You definitely need time to relax

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.