Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pregnant and leaving the country next week Watch

I am pretty freaked out. In a long-term relationship with my boyfriend who is 29, I am 24. I had been experiencing hip and groin pain in the last few weeks and I just missed my period. I took a test and to my shock it read positive...

I am going to Central Asia on the 14th to do a project, I'll be there for 6 weeks.

I know I can't have the baby, but I can't cancel the trip. How can I an urgent abortion?

ReputationRep:
    Contact your DR... Or visit the NHS website on the section regarding 'abortion' there is more information on there.

(Original post by urbanlocations)
    Contact your DR... Or visit the NHS website on the section regarding 'abortion' there is more information on there.
    I did, called NHS emergency last night and arranged a doctor's appointment for this afternoon. I just worry about time constraints as apparently it can take up to 2 weeks to get a termination referral and 2 appointments are needed for the medical abortion. Trying to think about my options. Would prefer to do this on the NHS but if it's absolutely impossible might think about going private (in London area).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x

Hi!

You're in quite a muddle here, sorry to hear about this.

You'll need to go through the official routes. You can call these numbers:

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) on 03457 30 40 30 – or email them at [email protected]
    Marie Stopes UK on 0345 300 8090 (open 24 hours)

To get advice and also to get access to an NHS funded abortion, I'm not too sure on the timescale but I found this information here.

I hope things get sorted out for you and make sure to explain your situation fully so they can see what options are open to you. All the best OP

Thanks for the responses.

Going through my GP was hell. He initially wanted me to wait a week, then after much pleading 2 days, to decide whether I definitely wanted it. Seems a bit ridiculous given this was unplanned at the wrong time, and I don't have any doubts whatsoever.

Feel sort of sick knowing I am pregnant. Disgusted even. I had a nightmare about having a tapeworm coming out of me 1 week before I did the test, it's odd but it feels parasitic and alien-like, I just need to get rid of it.

Mary Stopes, in case anyone else needs urgent treatment, seems much more pro-choice and has arranged me a 6 hour appointment on Saturday after a consultation this morning. They said that I should be able to get the surgical or medical abortion performed on the day.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the responses.

Going through my GP was hell. He initially wanted me to wait a week, then after much pleading 2 days, to decide whether I definitely wanted it. Seems a bit ridiculous given this was unplanned at the wrong time, and I don't have any doubts whatsoever.

Feel sort of sick knowing I am pregnant. Disgusted even. I had a nightmare about having a tapeworm coming out of me 1 week before I did the test, it's odd but it feels parasitic and alien-like, I just need to get rid of it.

Mary Stopes, in case anyone else needs urgent treatment, seems much more pro-choice and has arranged me a 6 hour appointment on Saturday after a consultation this morning. They said that I should be able to get the surgical or medical abortion performed on the day.
    I'm really glad you were able to get things arranged and I hope that everything gets sorted for you in time for your trip. All the best OP!

(Original post by iEthan)
    I'm really glad you were able to get things arranged and I hope that everything gets sorted for you in time for your trip. All the best OP!
    Thanks for the well wishes! Have a great weekend

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.