Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I recently did a lab involving the Enzymic hydrolysis of Glycogen with amylase, cellulase and HCL.

One of the questions I need to answer is; What use should be put of the controls values before plotting a graph?

I'm unsure whether this question just doesn't make sense or if I'm not thinking it through?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JustBennify)
    Hi!

I recently did a lab involving the Enzymic hydrolysis of Glycogen with amylase, cellulase and HCL.

One of the questions I need to answer is; What use should be put of the controls values before plotting a graph?

I'm unsure whether this question just doesn't make sense or if I'm not thinking it through?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Yeah the question is a bit badly structured grammatically. But what I think they're getting at is that you would need to use the data from the control experiments as a comparison. This is because glycogen would be subject to some degree of spontaneous (non-enzymatic hydrolysis) so the basal value isn't zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Yeah the question is a bit badly structured grammatically. But what I think they're getting at is that you would need to use the data from the control experiments as a comparison. This is because glycogen would be subject to some degree of spontaneous (non-enzymatic hydrolysis) so the basal value isn't zero.
    Thank-you for your reply

Wouldn't that fall under this question though? Explain the low values obtained for some of thecontrols (i.e. why are they not all zero?).

Or would that be due to every solution having a certain absorbency level?

EDIT: I think I'm just confusing myself. I'm sorry.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thank-you for your reply

Wouldn't that fall under this question though? Explain the low values obtained for some of thecontrols (i.e. why are they not all zero?).

Or would that be due to every solution having a certain absorbency level?

EDIT: I think I'm just confusing myself. I'm sorry.
    Yes that's the reason. Everything will have a low level absorbance but the spectrophotometer should be calibrated around a blank reading.

What I think it is, is that you would measure the ratio of actual to control instead of just the raw value for the actual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Yes that's the reason. Everything will have a low level absorbance but the spectrophotometer should be calibrated around a blank reading.

What I think it is, is that you would measure the ratio of actual to control instead of just the raw value for the actual
    So just to confirm,

Explain the low values obtained for some of thecontrols (i.e. why are they not all zero?). - The reasoning behind the absorbance values for the controls is due to every solution having a certain level of absorbance.

What use should be put of the controls values before plotting a graph? - You would need to usethe data from the control experiments as a comparison; this is because glycogenwould be subject to some degree of spontaneous (non-enzymatic hydrolysis) sothe basal value isn't zero. (rephrased into my own words of course)

Thank you for your help once again, you've helped alot!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So just to confirm,

Explain the low values obtained for some of thecontrols (i.e. why are they not all zero?). - The reasoning behind the absorbance values for the controls is due to every solution having a certain level of absorbance.

What use should be put of the controls values before plotting a graph? - You would need to usethe data from the control experiments as a comparison; this is because glycogenwould be subject to some degree of spontaneous (non-enzymatic hydrolysis) sothe basal value isn't zero. (rephrased into my own words of course)

Thank you for your help once again, you've helped alot!
    The first one is because of spontaneous hydrolysis

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.