Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

where do students live the rest of the year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    warning: stupid question. im not from the uk so bear with me but what is it with the accomodation for the uni ive been looking at only being provided 40-42 (depending on the halls) weeks a year? do students move out for summer break and move back in (do they get their room back or does the whole process happen all over again?) when the next year starts? if so, does really everyone go home or what? this seems so strange to me. btw im planning on going to bournemouth if that helps. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorig)
    warning: stupid question. im not from the uk so bear with me but what is it with the accomodation for the uni ive been looking at only being provided 40-42 (depending on the halls) weeks a year? do students move out for summer break and move back in (do they get their room back or does the whole process happen all over again?) when the next year starts? if so, does really everyone go home or what? this seems so strange to me. btw im planning on going to bournemouth if that helps. thanks
    Well the 42 week contracts usually start in September and finish in July so you need to find another place for the summer... some student halls offer summer lets and you may even find a landlord that rents student houses who can sort you out with a room for the summer. I've got a few friends that came to study in the UK from other countries, they always sort the summer rent problem by ringing up loads of landlords in the area... and it would really help if you have a 20+ hours/week job as the rent may be like £10/week more than if you were renting for the whole year
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes most people go home during the summer. I'm not sure how it works at Bournemouth but at Sheffield the 40 something week contract extends for a good month after exams and then they'll move into private accommodation which will have a 51 week contract starting about 2 weeks before the end of your uni housing contract. If it turns out your landlord is offering a contract where the summer isn't included then just offer them a couple of hundred pounds to use it then, it's not like anyone else is going to be keen on using it so they'll be happy for the extra income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorig)
    Yes most students go home for summer. Many then move into private accomodation either in July or September. Some universities allow students to reapply for halls, at my old uni they let international students live in halls all 3 years but they had to reapply each year and would be reassigned to a new flat each time.

ReputationRep:
    Most student accommodations end for summer yes so most students go home, but once you get into second year and start looking at private housing most are year long contracts (yet still almost always cheaper than halls ). Though I find even with a year long contract most people still go home for summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorig)
    Hi Sorig

My name is Patricia and I am a final year student at BU and also a representative for them on TheStudentRooms!

I understand that the accomodation process may be a little different than what you may be used to. Most UK based students go home for the summer and that is why the tenancy is only 42 weeks. However Bournemouth university does offer extended tenancy's for those who want it, this can be up to 50 weeks of the year. More information on that can be found here (clcik one of the halls and it will tell you if extended accomodation is available)

The idea is that only first year students are placed in accomodation, so when the students move out for the summer from their halls of residence they don't come back to the same flat. In you 2nd/3rd/4th year you find accomodation through a local estate agents or through the University's estate agents. More info on that option can be found here

If you have any more questions about the accomodation process or anything about Bournemouth in general please feel free to ask or private message me

Good Luck

Patricia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorig)
    Some unis offer 52 week accommodation contracts to International students, because they know that some won't be able to go home during the holidays. Check the International student accommodation options for your prospective uni.

ETA: Have Googled Bournemouth and they have a 50 week tenancy offer for International students:
    https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/disco...tional-college

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.