Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I just applied for some universities in England, but I have hesitations to do a definitive choice...I'm from Italy, and unfortunately in my country the conception of art is limitated to the teaching of the tecniques, without considering other key elements as medias and internet that, for me, are the ways that an artist should use to publicize himself. This is the principal reason that brought me to stuy my Foundation Year to UCA (University for the Creative Arts, Farnham). The hesitations that I have are from the websites that I checked to choose the best universities for my future, the rankings have too different opinions (I based my choices on "topuniversities.com and "The Guardian"). I'm looking for people, maybe telling me about their personal experiences, that can suggest me the best choice to develop me as an artist ready to work. I love particularly paintings, and this is the specified area that I want to consider to choose the university. Do you know which is the best website or magazine that I should consider to do my selection? I also noticed that the rankings changed a lot from the 2015 to the 2016...The universities that accepted me are.Arts University Bournmouth (aub): some friends told me really good things about this university, but I have doubts because the rankings are to irregular. It was 9th on 2015 and 19th on 2016 The Guardian's UK ranking, and it is not considered in "topuniversities.com (world ranking)..Kingston University London: it is 35th in the guardian (only UK) and in the top 100 of topuniversities.com's ranking (considering all the world).othe universities that I'm considering are:.Oxford Brookes: I applied for it but they still have not give me an answer.NABA (Milan, Italy): it is a new university in Milan, I'm considering to come back to Italy, but only if the universities that accepted me are not good...thank you for your attention, and I'm sorry for my English

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've moved your thread to our Creative Arts Sub-Forum, so that hopefully it will be seen by current art students who may be able to offer you some advice.

For art, I really wouldn't worry about university rankings- I would chose the place that can offer you the facilities and environment to help improve you creatively in the direction you want to go in. If your end goal is to make money from selling your art, then people who buy it won't care which university you went to, they'll simply be looking at the piece in front of them. So choose somewhere you think you'll be able to spend three years creating things you enjoy and improving skills that matter to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramarrorosso)
    Hello everyone, I just applied for some universities in England, but I have hesitations to do a definitive choice...I'm from Italy, and unfortunately in my country the conception of art is limitated to the teaching of the tecniques, without considering other key elements as medias and internet that, for me, are the ways that an artist should use to publicize himself. This is the principal reason that brought me to stuy my Foundation Year to UCA (University for the Creative Arts, Farnham). The hesitations that I have are from the websites that I checked to choose the best universities for my future, the rankings have too different opinions (I based my choices on "topuniversities.com and "The Guardian". I'm looking for people, maybe telling me about their personal experiences, that can suggest me the best choice to develop me as an artist ready to work. I love particularly paintings, and this is the specified area that I want to consider to choose the university. Do you know which is the best website or magazine that I should consider to do my selection? I also noticed that the rankings changed a lot from the 2015 to the 2016...The universities that accepted me are.Arts University Bournmouth (aub): some friends told me really good things about this university, but I have doubts because the rankings are to irregular. It was 9th on 2015 and 19th on 2016 The Guardian's UK ranking, and it is not considered in "topuniversities.com (world ranking)..Kingston University London: it is 35th in the guardian (only UK) and in the top 100 of topuniversities.com's ranking (considering all the world).othe universities that I'm considering are:.Oxford Brookes: I applied for it but they still have not give me an answer.NABA (Milan, Italy): it is a new university in Milan, I'm considering to come back to Italy, but only if the universities that accepted me are not good...thank you for your attention, and I'm sorry for my English
    I have very little knowledge of art schools and their reputations, but I will tell you that when it comes to creative courses you're better off looking at what the colleges teach you rather than rankings. Because being an artist is such a personal thing only you know what areas of study you want to cover, and it's likely to be much more worthwhile to pick the college that teaches you what you want to learn rather than a college that is higher up the rankings (especially as rankings can vary, as you have seen - they're not an exact science and they vary because each list focusses on different aspects of the university and course).

Hopefully people will come along who can offer you more specific advice and experience. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

ReputationRep:
    this is true, but I'm looking for personal opinions also to understand which choice from the list can be the best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.