Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BBC News: Migrant crisis - UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Turkey is a secular state?
    Barely: Turkey Gloats: "The Crusader Union Falls Apart"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    If Turkey was in the EU, it would be ranked 7th by GDP
    The EU better hope that never happens. GDP can't change the fact it's not a European country. Many Turks are wonderful people, but the socio-cultural divisions are crystal clear, and have been since the time of The 300. Two decades into The Clash of Civilisations, it's time to wake up

Turkey has leverage now, in the form of refugees and it is extorting the EU, to the tune of billions of dollars, to keep them at bay
    One of the few sensible things I've ever heard this user say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    The EU better hope that never happens.
    I think Erdogan is making sure it can't. He plans to offer citizenship to 2.7 million Syrian refugees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...rian-refugees/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/01766166-4...#axzz4DRHKeAFw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    I mean it breaks your heart so much, then money you don't need donated should make you better
    Called out! :shock:

Maybe we should actually start confronting the problem of Islam in the middle east, instead of pretending that only few Muslims are extreme in view
    True, but how do we go about 'confronting' it, when it is integral to their way of life, values, heritage, civilisation, and hence personal identities? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Wow, the UN are just racist bigots!
    Eh? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I have many many Turkish friends
    Living in Turkey, under Erdoğan? :holmes:

I haven't heard turkey say much about wanting to join the EU
    Erdoğan's administration is just playing hard to get, to try to (further) blackmail the EU into caving in to his demands

Turkey is still hot for EU membership, trust me. They want our monies, our lifestyle, our womens, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Well many Iraqis are returning to Iraq after realizing that life in Europe isn't all that
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    We should employ the use of water cannons. In the cold winter it should be enough of a deterrent
    These buggers came prepared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Source?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/wo...tion.html?_r=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Wow that's just OTT
    See the video in the OP, then tell us it's OTT/what your solution would be? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    So you'd throw away our freedoms, way of life, safety, happiness, stability, prosperity and already dwindling culture - making the lives of all Europeans worse - just so that some strangers (who wouldn't do the same for you if the situation was reversed) can get in on our benefits system? Life isn't fair, it will never be fair and we must look after our own before looking after strangers. Besides, what about all the homeless people out there? Why should immigrants get jobs and homes that could've gone to them?
    Well played, Sir :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Imagine what a water cannon could do to a toddler!
    Pretty sure no toddler of mine would be anywhere near a water canon, no matter how desperate I was to secure European economic benefits, but then I give a **** about those other than myself, I'm old fashioned like that

ReputationRep:
    a water cannon would definitely deter any half decent parents from attempting to invade Europe
    We'd certainly (like to) think so :rolleyes:

An electric fence would've avoided this problem all together. They try to cross -> they get buzzed, that should stop them pretty quick
    We're not dealing with cattle here :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I'd question the mental state of anyone who takes a toddler to an area that has water cannons and tear gas within
    Short of absolute necessity (applies in exceptionally few cases - within asylum seeking cohorts, never mind migrants more broadly) I'm afraid I have to agree :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kadeharbert)
    so very true, our only solution is to leave the EU or face being forced to absorb millions of immigrants that we simply do not have the space or facilities to cater for. Both the NHS and education system are already at their limits without the addition of many unemployed and non-English speaking migrants; many of whom are not even seeking asylum, only seeking benefits!
    I was at a recruitment agency office recently up north, most of the applicants that day were from Sudan and the likes (I'm not kidding), they're already here.

ReputationRep:
    The parents weren't anticipating tear gas I don't think
    Expect the unexpected

Once they're making their way across to Europe they have to be distributed in some sort of even-handed manner
    According to whom?

it's not fair or possible for Macedonia or Turkey to absorb the mass exodus without help
    Turkey aren't EU members (yet) and have a duty unto their own people/the territories beyond, to secure their borders

It's not their fault their country borders a war zone
    Actually, it is, Turkey have been instrumental in the Syrian conflict, including supporting ISIS/ISIL in various ways/means

We need a united global effort to mitigate effects of the mass displacement of people
    Correct, but this doesn't mean surrendering our sovereignty or ignoring the well established concept of first safe country

ReputationRep:
    Should only let in young women who are hot.

ReputationRep:
    electric fences across their borders with those war zones
    Who, Turkey? :confused:

battering ram, that's a weapon of war. So in response to such things we should send armed troops to defend the border against the militant immigrants and scare off the others
    Fair play but use proportionate force (no need to shoot these mugs, just send them packing with a boot up the ass) :yy:

ReputationRep:
    whipping out 511 miles of electrified border fence when ISIS formed up is almost certainly beyond them and any other country in the world
    Aye. They're having a hard enough time trying to fend off coups that rather smell of foreign intervention! Turkey is looking pretty insecure, and the risk of the spread of ISIS within their territory (other than sporadic terror attacks) is rather alarming:mute:

ReputationRep:
    DEPORT THEM.

The rest of the non-Western world does it. Sure not in large numbers, because they don't tolerate millions of non-natives taking over their homeland to begin with. Why can't we?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.