Turn on thread page Beta

BBC News: Migrant crisis - UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis' watch

ReputationRep:
    Replying here as we have gone rather off topic in the original thread

(Original post by dumbsituation123)
    Prove to me that it is perfectly easy
    Are you a native English speaker? If so, I'd expect you to understand that "achievable""easy"

to round up 1.5 million undocumented people
    Which 1.5 million people are you talking about? :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show
    In the UK, we have an estimated 1 million illegals. On the continent it is likely to be several times that

They are going to fight back
    Some will, and they’ll be dealt with. Most won’t

legal and political implications of sending people "in the general direction" of where they came from
    There is no legal requirement for us to accept anyone except those genuine asylum seekers fleeing to a first safe country. Not sure what additional political implications you have in mind, but feel free to spell these out

This action would indirectly cause murder on a scale much bigger than that which has evolved from the migrant crisis
    How so?

Off they go to where?
    There are various options, from simply sending them back out to the coastlines they came from, through to establishing a regional holding territory from where they can be sensibly processed and either repatriated or resettled

they aren't going to suddenly change their minds and start co-operating
    We all have to cooperate with the authorities. We have this thing called sovereignty and rule of law. You may not respect that, and nor may many a migrant, but unfortunately it is a fact of life and by God we will enforce the law and protect our borders

Our forbears paid the ultimate sacrifice to do the same, if you think just because migrants are determined and not keen on cooperating the good people of Britannia, and the West, will just shrug and say “oh well, carry on then, I guess” then, my friend, you’ve got another thing coming! (hence Brexit/Trump victories etc)

A MASSIVE police force would be required to round up 1.5 million people and put them in boats without them jumping straight out and swimming back to shore
    Nonsense. It would require resourcing, time, and organisation, and would be unlikely to pass off without incident, but cruise liners can carry thousands in one go, no problem. Where there’s a will, there’s a way

Unless you suggest chaining them up like rats just as black slaves were several hundred years ago?
    Literally no idea where you’re getting this from. Bigoted identity politics (presumptuous ostensible labelling) flatters you not, and is manifestly pseudo-progressive (hypocritical). Grow up

its our own government causing half the problems
    The buck stops with those in positions of authority, aye

not a bunch of randoms who don't speak English
    Some are a cause for concern, some aren’t. The real problem, as you correctly insinuate, is that policymakers have ducked their responsibility regarding sensible and sustainable social policy (including and especially type/levels of immigration). They’ve done this in the context of ‘progressive’ moralistic/legalistic change and associated political correctness. This is understandable, if not forgivable

What we need now is a timely injection of more intellectually honest, and socially responsible, discourse, and policy that reflects the real and legitimate interests/concerns of the people of this once ‘Great’ Britain of ours

Mainstream media/politics on the continent is repressing the inevitable reality check I touch on above. As a result the far-right is becoming a potent political force and may well rise to power before long in countries like France/Austria/Italy. Do we want that for Blighty?

I don't think you realise that some imaginary border isn't deterring people
    Maybe check my threads/credentials before presuming ignorance :yy:

There's a reason I put it in inverted commas and not speech marks
    The reason being that you weren’t quoting anyone and were, instead, plucking words from thin air? Ok mate

Leaving the EU doesn't magically mean we can suddenly do whatever we want
    Really? Thanks for clearing that one up :yawn:

it should be implicit that 60,000,000 people commit crimes at a greater rate than 20,000 people
    How so?

unreasonable to let 1.5 million people suffer and die
    Who are these 1.5 million people, where are they, and who is letting them die by doing what? The UK is the largest per capita public and charitable sector donor to Syria in the world. Our people are paying out of their taxes, and out of their pockets, to support those affected by the conflict (primarily in the region). This should be recognised, and applauded

The sooner the world works together as a species instead of upholding tribal borders and sovereignty, the better
    Go study, research, discuss, and debate international relations, political economy, strategy, and security, for a few years, then come back and we can have a conversation about the ‘one world’ paradigm and how quickly a world without borders would descend into either anarchy or totalitarian world government (dominated by the 60 individuals who own half of the world’s wealth i.e. US special interests and their affiliates)

Replace Islam with Christianity
    Not going to get drawn on this publicly. I’ve already laid out a lot of information on related matters on TSR which is readily available. Should you struggle to locate the relevant material then I’m happy to point out key differences, in brief, by PM

Terrorism comes from political cause
    Yes and no. There are elements from a variety of domains, from the purely religious and sociocultural through to the distinctly (geo)political and economic. For us to deny this is patently anti-intellectual, and helps no-one, in the long run

we can't undo immigration from ages ago
    We probably won’t but that is not to say it is impossible i.e. that we “can’t”. Repatriation is a distinct possibility, however politically incorrect and unpalatable it may seem

stopping the refugee crisis won't do anything whatsoever to prevent domestic radicalisation
    Incorrect, by your own admission regarding historic trends and the fact that some relative newcomers are involved in radical activity

You idealistic people who think that stopping all migrants will magically stop it are pretty uninformed
    Quote me where I proposed this or else retract and apologise for a pathetic attempt to directly demean me on the basis of naked misrepresentation

discriminating against someone who hasn't committed a sexual offence on the basis that "his race tends to do it more often" is pretty dumb
    You might feel differently if you lived in Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, etc, or if a loved one were gang raped by a group of newcomers to your community

Personally, I believe those granted a monopoly over of use of force (governments, under social contract) have a duty to serve and protect the safety, security, and way of life, of those who grant them said authority under license (we, the people of these lands)

If that means being discerning about the relative state of progressive development/values/record of criminality/predation/extremism etc on display in different regions/ethno-cultures, going forward, so be it

I am not alone in this view, you will find it is shared by most of my English speaking compatriots. Trump’s victory, in the context of his policy on immigration from certain parts of the world, is directly demonstrative of this large and growing pragmatic/patriotic stance

Yewtree criticised virtually no one compared to the accusations of 1000-strong rape gangs by the conservative press of this country
    1) It’s a matter of investigating victimisation, no matter what number of suspected perpetrators are implicated. We wouldn’t want thousands of innocents being arrested, would we. That’s not how effective, enlightened systems of justice work

2) I’m not aware of 1000-strong rape gangs operating within localities being posited by any serious public figures/publications. Do you have any sources on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prajna)
    That may be the case but coloured faces are perceptible and can easily be regarded as embodying the problem
    Not sure quite what you mean by this but whilst I accept that it is next to impossible to discern e.g. all problematic Islamists from all unproblematic non-Islamists, we need to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush, or indeed fall into the trap of ostensbly advocating for (xenophobic) nativism :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohonick)
    And you think they don't know cold?
    Ever been sprayed by water canon? :erm:

People are going to migrate whether there are strong borders or not
    Yes and no e.g. depending upon related investment/manning + internal border forces (deportation) operations + particular geography of region under discussion (UK, being an island, is somewhat less porous)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    The million dollar question : what does Europe gain from hosting refugees?
    1) The benefit of knowing we've done the right thing, in international humanitarian terms

2) "Cultural enrichment"

3) Delaying the inevitable re: ageing Western populations

4) Assuaging European post-war guilt (holocaust etc)

5) Social engineering i.e. diluting the white majority in countries like France and Germany (e.g. Labour conspiracy)

ReputationRep:
    let refugees live in your house would be a good place to start. If you are not willing, Hypocrite
    Other examples of reported hypocrites who have made related comments/pledges:

Politicians
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Andy Burnham
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Nicola Sturgeon

Live Performers
    • Billy Bragg
    • Bob Geldof
    • Russell Brand
    ​​​​• Charlotte Church​​

Thespians
    ​• Martin Freeman
    ​• Emma Thompson
    • ​Benedict Cumberbatch​​​

Special mention
    Jude Law: thought it'd be a good idea to cover the plight of the "innocent .. children" in the jungle "refugee" camp by taking a film crew over for some impromptu virtue signalling, culminating in said crew getting jacked before they made it out! :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Other examples of reported hypocrites who have made related comments/pledges:

Politicians
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Andy Burnham
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Nicola Sturgeon

Live Performers
    • Billy Bragg
    • Bob Geldof
    • Russell Brand
    ​​​​• Charlotte Church​​

Thespians
    ​• Martin Freeman
    ​• Emma Thompson
    • ​Benedict Cumberbatch​​​

Special mention
    Jude Law: thought it'd be a good idea to cover the plight of the "innocent .. children" in the jungle "refugee" camp by taking a film crew over for some impromptu virtue signalling, culminating in said crew getting jacked before they made it out! :facepalm2:
    At least he had good intentions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Brownie points
    What value would you put on said points, I wonder? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor" Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
    Not just money, but time, and role modelling

ReputationRep:
    Why do countries like Italy continue to rescue migrants if they are struggling to deal with the ones already rescued? It's quite obvious and simple: if you take migrants in that only encourages more to make the journey. This suggests that Italy can cope and is happy to author its own destruction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohonick)
    ISIS would literally declare victory if tomorrow David Cameron, Angela Merkel, Hollande, etc all said "no more immigrants from Syria / Iraq"
    They can declare whatever they like. We will destroy them, and we will also bring immigration down to sustainable levels. Mark my words

ask yourself, what did the Indian, Pakistani, Trinidad and Tobago immigrants back in the mid-20th century bring to us?
    Takeaways and cheap labour for the capitalists to continue to leech off for a generation before they're able to replace humans with robots :rolleyes:

Incidentally, whilst many migrants contribute greatly (especially Indians, among your little collection, it has to be said) non-EEA migrants cost the exchequer net £15bn p.a.

Deary me, it's sad this sort of reductionist establishment narrative is still popular in 2017: you have the internet at your disposal, really there is no longer any excuse for economic illiteracy! :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    The UNs own figures show that only 7% of the many tens of thosands now getting dropped off in Italy by NGO boats are Syrian refugees. The vast majority are African economic migrants.
    Gahdaffi had it right when he he said that Libya is the cork in the bottle of Africa and to remove him would lead to migration of disasterous proportions.

ReputationRep:
    It is isis causing this harm at the first place
    It's funny, a relevant recent Panorama episode tried to dance around this concept for 20 mins or so but ultimately had the head of regional counter-extremism saying problems in Germany have indeed sprung from issues associated with the (mishandling of the) Migrant Crisis

Try as they may, the so-called (pseudo-)liberal elite can no longer suppress the truth regarding the demographic nightmare they have wilfully created. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle and the people are understandably pissed (hence turning to parties like Germany's AfD)

It's not like we didn't warn of this either: for years a handful of us (sociopolitical commentators) have cautioned that relaxed immigration policy and the resultant painfully predictable Clash of Civilisations will result in social friction, political polarisation, extremism and counter-extremism, and ultimately blood on the streets

Those who didn't heed our prescient warnings but instead sought to vilify, denigrate, threaten, and censor us, and pressed on with (enacting/supporting) myopic social and economic policy regardless, they are the ones with blood on their hands; history will not judge them kindly, and in the mean time it is immigrant peoples who will, regrettably, primarily suffer

ReputationRep:
    News: EU in CRISIS: Austria could join anti-immigration Visegrad group in Brussels slap down

ReputationRep:
    BBC Our World: Welcome to Germany

Emotive infantile music appears to be levelled up vs. some of the speech of the German family appears to be levelled down in the audio mastering. The journo also ostensibly accused the guy of being a racist, apparently without due cause. BBC impartiality anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Colonialism, slavery, exploitation, interfering in the foreign affairs of foreign governments to usurp valid leadership and install puppets for purposes of exploitation of resources and poor, wars, and conflicts-fueled to further "national interests" are the true causes of the "humanitarian crises" Europe and The West has helped to create and foster around the globe for centuries...when the chicken's come how to roost in terms of the victims and descendants of historical, recent past, and ongoing aforementioned evils then seek to escape the living hell they are in which NEVER would have existed but for them being invaded, colonized, exploited, victimized simply because of their race, religion or ethnicity, bombed-well, then of course xenophobia emerges, ignoring the history and true creators of the "monster situations" stamped with "Made In The West." The reality is, this is a "case of the chickens coming home to roost."

’The UN has said that Europe is on the cusp of a largely self-induced humanitarian crisis’ (BBC News)

Ten times the number of migrants travelling to Europe by boat this year. Hate to say I told you so (see spoiler below)

Thanks to European opinion leaders (read: NIMBY/ivory tower pseudo-liberal media/political elites), and their imbecilic Guardianista proponents, who have (in many cases wilfully) encouraged migrants to come, and Turkey/Greece just waving them on through, we are now looking at:

• The disintegration of Schengen, accelerated decline of EU, and evermore fractious/fractured relations between member states

• Crime waves, an enhanced terror threat, and other atrocities e.g. mass predation of the vulnerable (Cologne etc)

• Reactive vigilantism, persecution (directed at/within migrant groups) and civil unrest and potential race/religious riots/war

• Growing possibility of related international conflict e.g. anti-Turkish sentiments on the rise in Germany, Austria, and Greece

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    BBC This World: Calais, The End of the Jungle

Relatively impartial and incisive documentary from the BBC, even if they did avoid covering the worst excesses of life within the camp :yy:

ReputationRep:
    BBC This World: Calais, The End of the Jungle

Relatively impartial and incisive documentary from the BBC, even if they did avoid covering the worst excesses of life within the camp :yy:
    Thank you. It's sad what most of these people have had to flee from and trying to just make a better life for themselves and their family,although I don't think it should be done illegally.

What did you think? (About the documentary) and the migrant crisis til this present day?

ReputationRep:
    It is isis causing this harm at the first place
    Think harm in the Middle East goes back a bit further than that, amigo! :hand:

Its their responsibility to stop isis to have a better life more than our responsibility to give them a better life
    Aye, but that's easier said than done when you consider the way, and context, in which groups like that operate vs. (often extremely limited) options open to those who might wish to resist them :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    If they're shown humanity they will act like humans, if they're treated like animals they'll act like it. Give them education and shelter and they will integrate just like the Irish or the Huguenot before them did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    It's not about lacking sympathy, it's about available resources, economics and the other balancing acts of reality
    Actually, it's about all of those things.. :flute:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.