Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should tackling in Rugby be banned in schools? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    Never played rugby in my entire life before joining this grammar school, best fun I've had in years. Feminists are trying to ruin the goddamn sport of the commonwealth. What happened to the great tough men of yonder!

Seriously though, how many sports are dangerous, we don't go around banning them do we.
    What have feminists got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    Lol what a joke this notion is. If you want to ban tackling in rugby you may aswell just ban rugby full stop. If you're scared of getting injured then go play table tennis or some other sport which involves no contact and very little physical exertion.

ReputationRep:
    If you were not allowed to tackle in rugby at school what would be the point in doing rugby as a sport for PE?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is not rugby in schools. The problem is the tackling rules in rugby, Look at a TV rugby game from 25 years ago. The tackling was much lower down. Any tackling in open play above the waist should be banned. The aim of a rugby tackle is to take the players legs from under him, not to crash in to him so that the ball is forced out of his grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The problem is not rugby in schools. The problem is the tackling rules in rugby, Look at a TV rugby game from 25 years ago. The tackling was much lower down. Any tackling in open play above the waist should be banned. The aim of a rugby tackle is to take the players legs from under him, not to crash in to him so that the ball is forced out of his grip.
    You ever thought that a player may tackle around the chest to wrap the ball and prevent the player being tackled making an offload?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    You ever thought that a player may tackle around the chest to wrap the ball and prevent the player being tackled making an offload?
    Yes, but I think the smother tackle is going to have to go because of the preponderance of "hits". Plenty of other maneuvers have been banned from rugby because they ended up being too dangerous; the flying wedge. the cavalry charge, proper rucking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I agree. A smother tackle is highly likely to lead to a clash of heads. Tackling with the tackler's head above the tacklee's chest, the tackler's head above his own shoulders, or with any contact above the middle of the chest should be banned.

At the professional level it could well lead to more offloads a a more open game.

ReputationRep:
    IMO it's a ridiculous idea. Sure there are some pretty bad injuries, but most of them occur when the rules aren't adhered to properly (high tackles, etc.) Even just a ban in school would be bad, schools are where a lot of people (including myself) pick up the game, and I really just don't see touch rugby as being particularly appealing. I would understand the argument to bring in head protection, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    is english language habit forming?
    Not for you, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    No lol, either teach it properly or not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Not for you, apparently.
    ...how does that joke even work when I haven't made any spelling/grammar mistakes? if I have ommitted letters here and there, that's not me - that's my keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    ...how does that joke even work when I haven't made any spelling/grammar mistakes? if I have ommitted letters here and there, that's not me - that's my keyboard.
    :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    What have feminists got to do with it?
    I imagine it is like political correctness gets mixed up with health and safety. XD

Same is happening here with but with feminism.

ReputationRep:
    ihatePE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I imagine it is like political correctness gets mixed up with health and safety. XD
    Don't you think it's funny when right wing type people complain about men disproportionately being the victims of workplace accidents, and then oppose the massive mainstream-led campaigns and policies designed to reduce workplace accidents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Don't you think it's funny when right wing type people complain about men disproportionately being the victims of workplace accidents, and then oppose the massive mainstream-led campaigns and policies designed to reduce workplace accidents?
    and of course tackle rugby is something only boys are forced into doing lol

Girls don't do it in PE (well they didn't when I was at school).

It;s the same with migrants. They all want the men to be sent back to fight ISIS and Assad. There is very little coherence in these views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    and of course tackle rugby is something only boys are forced into doing lol

Girls don't do it in PE (well they didn't when I was at school).

It;s the same with migrants. They all want the men to be sent back to fight ISIS and Assad. There is very little coherence in these views.
    Haha yeah, in 20 years when head trauma research is even more well understood and men are considered to be suffering more from it, the MRAs on Future-Reddit will be apoplectic that girls weren't forced into playing tackle sports too.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just teach kids to tackle properly? That would reduce the number of injuries dramatically

ReputationRep:
    No it should not be banned

However more research and awareness needs to be done so parents can accurately weigh up the pro's and cons and level of risk. Its all stemming from American Handegg where the prominence of CTE Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is becoming more known

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Head protection would help but not apparently all that much.
    Head protection will only worsen things, not help. Head protection encourages more forceful and wreckless hits and does not prevent concussion or the repeated buildup of small impacts

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.