Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    secA(sin2A-1)2/[cosA(sec2A - tan2A)]+(2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A
    [cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] = cosA

what do I do with
    (2sin2A + cos2A) ???

and I am new to student room and how do I write equations in a form like other people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chairm)
    secA(sin2A-1)2 / [cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] + (2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

what do I do with
    (2sin2A + cos2A) ???

and I am new to student room and how do I write equations in a form like other people do?
    You need to use tex. There is a link but essentially, you surround an equation by [] brackets containing tex to open and /tex to close.

Your opener is (in latex) \frac{\secA(\sin2A-1)^2}{[ \cos A (\sec A - \tan 2A)]+(2 \sin 2A + \cos 2A)}=2
    Here it with the tex tags on

\frac{ \sec A (\sin2A-1)^2}{[ \cos A (\sec A - \tan 2A)]+(2 \sin 2A + \cos 2A)}=2

ReputationRep:
    secA(sin2A-1)2 / [cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] + (2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

Where did you get this from? It's completely wrong.

\sec A(\sin 2A - 1)^2 = \sec A(\sin^2 2A - 2\sin 2A + 1)

Do you know how to expand brackets of the form (a+b)^2?

You haven't replied to the other thread that I answered your question on, why not? You can use \LaTeX if you want to typeset equations, but you really need not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Where did you get this from? It's completely wrong.

\sec A(\sin 2A - 1)^2 = \sec A(\sin^2 2A - 2\sin 2A + 1)

Do you know how to expand brackets of the form (a+b)^2?

You haven't replied to the other thread that I answered your question on, why not? You can use \LaTeX if you want to typeset equations, but you really need not.
    oh sorry. I forgotten to put powers.
    It's a question given from lesson as a hand out, it doesn't have answer sheet so I cannot check if I am going right way.
    tried using latex but it seems a bit difficult...I'll need to look into it more

Oh and for previous post, I have worked out the question and got the answer. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry. I forgotten to put powers.
    It's a question given from lesson as a hand out, it doesn't have answer sheet so I cannot check if I am going right way.
    tried using latex but it seems a bit difficult...I'll need to look into it more
    Not sure I understand, post your corrected working so we can have a look?

Feel free to post your workings using picture, etc... so we can verify them for you if you want. You can make as many threads as you like.

There's no point using LaTex if you're not comfortable with it. Don't worry about it.

Oh and for previous post, I have worked out the question and got the answer. Thank you
    It's common courtesy to reply back to the person (SeanFM in this case) who helped you on the thread itself.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I understand, post your corrected working so we can have a look?

Feel free to post your workings using picture, etc... so we can verify them for you if you want. You can make as many threads as you like.

There's no point using LaTex if you're not comfortable with it. Don't worry about it.

It's common courtesy to reply back to the person (SeanFM in this case) who helped you on the thread itself.
    I've double checked that question. I have corrected the powers. Does it still seem to be wrong?

And yes I am sorry about that. I will do that from now on. I am just not familiar with this forum yet

ReputationRep:
    secA(sin2A-1)2/[cosA(sec2A - tan2A)]+(2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

what do I do with
    (2sin2A + cos2A) ???
    So you now have: \displaystyle \frac{\sec A(\sin^2 A - 1)^2}{\cos A (\csec^2 A - \tan^2 A)} = \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} =\cos^2 A

So: \cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

Can you think of a familiar trigonometric identity that connects \cos^2 A + \sin^2 A and 1?

ReputationRep:
    So you now have: \displaystyle \frac{\sec A(\sin^2 A - 1)^2}{\cos A (\csec^2 A - \tan^2 A)} = \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} =\cos^2 A

So: \cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

Can you think of a familiar trigonometric identity that connects \cos^2 A + \sin^2 A and 1?

\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

For this one, how do you get
    \cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

wouldn't it be

cos^3 A / cosA + (2sin^2A + cos^2A)

and then

cos2A / 2sin2A + cos2A

ReputationRep:
    \cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

For this one, how do you get
    \cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

wouldn't it be

cos^3 A / cosA + (2sin^2A + cos^2A)

and then

cos2A / 2sin2A + cos2A
    The (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) aren't in the denominator.

It's \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} + 2\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

ReputationRep:
    The (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) aren't in the denominator.

It's \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} + 2\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

oh wow... thought (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) was in the denominator the whole time..

Then yes, you are right

2sin^2A +cos^2A + cos^2A = 2sin^2A+2cos^2A

using sin^2A + cos^2A = 1 identity

you get 2...

Thank you so much for your help...
    If you didn't correct me that the second part is not in the denominator, I would have never found that suspicious..

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Glad to help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.