The Student Room Group

differentiation of parametric equation

Hello guys I'm trying to differentiate a parametric equation which i attached you here but there's a part i don't understand when it comes down to differentiate y=2tcost and how it was differentiated . i know that differentiation of cos t= -sin t hence dy/dt of y=2tcost should be given as -2tsint am i missing something here?
Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hello guys I'm trying to differentiate a parametric equation which i attached you here but there's a part i don't understand when it comes down to differentiate y=2tcost and how it was differentiated . i know that differentiation of cos t= -sin t hence dy/dt of y=2tcost should be given as -2tsint am i missing something here?

You need to use the product rule since t is a variable. ddt(2tcost)2tddt(sint)\frac{d}{dt} (2t \cos t) \neq 2t \frac{d}{dt}(\sin t)
Reply 2
Original post by Alen.m

Surely you wouldn't agree with be saying ddx(xx)=xddx(x)=x1=x\frac{d}{dx} (x \cdot x) = x \frac{d}{dx} (x) = x \cdot 1 = x, riiiight?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Surely you wouldn't agree with be saying ddx(xx)=xddx(x)=x1=x\frac{d}{dx} (x \cdot x) = x \frac{d}{dx} (x) = x \cdot 1 = x, riiiight?

course not :smile:)) so basically when there are two functions multiplies together we use product rule
Reply 4
Original post by Alen.m
course not :smile:)) so basically when there are two functions multiplies together we use product rule

Yes.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest