Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I tell my year manager that I'm having bad thoughts? Watch

Hi guys,

So I've had depression for 2 years now. It went from mild straight to clinical
    My year manager at school knows about my depression, and she seems pretty nice but also has a *****y streak. My old year manager has told her a big pack of lies though, that I'm apparently a liar and my depression doesn't actually exist.

I've been thinking about bad thoughts for a few days now and they've gotten stronger as the days go by. If I tell my year manager , she'll tell my parents won't she? I'm 17 so I guess she'll have to! If she tells my parents, then my parents will shout at me excessively and take me out of sixth form. God knows what else they'll do, they're horrible people!

Advice on what I should do pls?

ReputationRep:
    Make an appointment with your GP ASAP

If you ever feel like you're about to seriously harm yourself, call 999

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

My year manager at school knows about my depression, and she seems pretty nice but also has a *****y streak. My old year manager has told her a big pack of lies though, that I'm apparently a liar and my depression doesn't actually exist. Just remember this post may trigger some!

I've been thinking about ending my life for a few days now. Not gonna lie, the thoughts do get stronger as the days go by. If I tell my year manager that I'm thinking about suicide, she'll tell my parents won't she? I'm 17 so I guess she'll have to! If she tells my parents, then my parents will shout at me excessively and take me out of sixth form. God knows what else they'll do, they're horrible people!

Make an emergency appointment with your GP, it's extremely unlikely that they tell your parents, but they will most likely tell other professionals. If you have an imminent plan go to a&e or call 999 for an ambulance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

My year manager at school knows about my depression, and she seems pretty nice but also has a *****y streak. My old year manager has told her a big pack of lies though, that I'm apparently a liar and my depression doesn't actually exist. Just remember this post may trigger some!

I've been thinking about ending my life for a few days now. Not gonna lie, the thoughts do get stronger as the days go by. If I tell my year manager that I'm thinking about suicide, she'll tell my parents won't she? I'm 17 so I guess she'll have to! If she tells my parents, then my parents will shout at me excessively and take me out of sixth form. God knows what else they'll do, they're horrible people!

First of all, as others have said, seek medical attention immediately. Book an emergency appointment with a GP. Just because your illness is not physical it doesn't mean it's less important.

Please do not kill yourself. Why do you feel like this? What has drove you to consider suicide? Think about how upset your friends and family will feel if you go through with committing suicide. It's irreversible decision. You can't undo suicide. Please, whatever you're going through, please know that like everything in life, it will pass. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Hold on and stay strong.

Are you receiving psychological help? Do you have a counsellor? If not I would advise you get some ASAP. They will help you

Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Suicidal thoughts should be treated as a medical emergency. They usually aren't, but they should be.

Your year manager has a duty to keep you safe. If telling your parents poses a risk to your safety, she won't. She will however have to inform other people so that you can be kept safe.

You can tell her. She will have been trained in safeguarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I don't think the OP said anything about thoughts of suicide, they stated 'bad thoughts'. Sometimes you can have bad thoughts but know fully that you aren't going to act on them. But either way I do think you really need help urgently. I think you should talk to your year manager or GP and they will be able to advise you of the next steps to take. You can beat this. I had a point where I felt so low and was having horrible intrusive thoughts about all sorts of things, I thought I'd never get better but I dragged myself to the doctor and she was really helpful. I'm sorry that your parents haven't been supportive to you through this.
    The Samaritans also offer a free confidential service, I've used them before. They also have an email option if you don't want to talk on the phone. I'm here for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    Make an appointment with your GP ASAP

If you ever feel like you're about to seriously harm yourself, call 999
    No don't call 999. Just don't harm youself.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ring childline and talk it over with a counselor. You can also go and see your GP or the school doctor and they have to keep things confidential.
    If you dont trust your year manager, then is there a school nurse, counselor or another teacher who you can talk to? Only speak on the condition that its confidential and they dont refer it to anyone else whithout your permission.

Call ChildLine
    You can call ChildLine at any time on 0800 1111 to speak to a counsellor. Calls are free and confidential.

https://www.childline.org.uk/talk/Pages/Talk.aspx

or

Samaritans
    About the callWhen you're ready, we're here to listen.

You don’t have to give your real name or any personal information if you don’t want to.
    The quickest way to contact us and get a response is by phone on 116 123, this number is FREE to call.

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can...about-the-call

Both are trained to listen to you in your current situation. It might give you time to think, so you cna decide what help you want.

Call ChildLine You can call ChildLine at any time on 0800 1111 to speak to a counsellor. Calls are free and confidential.https://www.childline.org.uk/Style%2...0800-11-11.png

(Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    Guys, I don't think the OP said anything about thoughts of suicide, they stated 'bad thoughts'. Sometimes you can have bad thoughts but know fully that you aren't going to act on them. But either way I do think you really need help urgently. I think you should talk to your year manager or GP and they will be able to advise you of the next steps to take. You can beat this. I had a point where I felt so low and was having horrible intrusive thoughts about all sorts of things, I thought I'd never get better but I dragged myself to the doctor and she was really helpful. I'm sorry that your parents haven't been supportive to you through this.
    The Samaritans also offer a free confidential service, I've used them before. They also have an email option if you don't want to talk on the phone. I'm here for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

I am the original poster and I did mention the extreme. Thank you for your reply, it really does lift my mood to know that you care! I will talk to my GP I think

Thank you x

(Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No a mod edited their post, they did mention suicide, look at other people's quotes above and you'll see the original post

OP please... call 999, or 111 because there's not as much pressure to quickly explain your situation, 111 will give you medical advice when it's urgent but not an emergency. Please call them and speak to them, it's not worth ending your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am the original poster and I did mention the extreme. Thank you for your reply, it really does lift my mood to know that you care! I will talk to my GP I think

Thank you x
    Oh I see, sorry I got a bit confused as didn't realise the post was edited. I'm so sorry you are feeling so awful. Please don't act on this.
    Aw I'm happy that it lifted your mood a little. No problem at all. Yes definitely talk to your GP. You can come out of this. Always here if you want to talk. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am the OP

(Original post by GoodScran)
    No don't call 999. Just don't harm youself.
    Why don't you think that calling 999 is a good idea? Just wondering

No a mod edited their post, they did mention suicide, look at other people's quotes above and you'll see the original post

OP please... call 999, or 111 because there's not as much pressure to quickly explain your situation, 111 will give you medical advice when it's urgent but not an emergency. Please call them and speak to them, it's not worth ending your life.
    Thanks for the advice. Who will I be calling when I dial 111? And what do I say? Just never used them before.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

ReputationRep:
    When you call 111 a trained NHS operator will answer your call and they will want to listen to you vocalise how you are feeling. Try and be as honest and open as possible. They are professional advisors and will be able to point you in the right direction of health service ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikramumtaz)
    I am the OP

Why don't you think that calling 999 is a good idea? Just wondering
    If you are about to hurt yourself, or have an imminent plan to hurt yourself, or have already hurt yourself, then 999 is the right way to go (or go straight to A&E).

However, if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself, or have a plan but it is not immediate, calling 999 for an ambulance may result in a very long wait as it won't be an urgent call. I've known ambulances take over 4 hours for more severe mental health calls. 111 would be better to help signpost you, or an emergency GP appointment.

However you can always go to a&e and ask to see the psychiatry team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by bullettheory)
    If you are about to hurt yourself, or have an imminent plan to hurt yourself, or have already hurt yourself, then 999 is the right way to go (or go straight to A&E).

However, if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself, or have a plan but it is not immediate, calling 999 for an ambulance may result in a very long wait as it won't be an urgent call. I've known ambulances take over 4 hours for more severe mental health calls. 111 would be better to help signpost you, or an emergency GP appointment.

However you can always go to a&e and ask to see the psychiatry team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer to write things down and can't face talking on the phone I'd also try sending an email to [email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.