Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Credit Transfer Between Universities Credit Accumulation System In The UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently studying towards my PgDip at a UK university. I have gained 90 credits and will gain another 30 credits in September.I plan to transfer 60 credits from my current University to another Institution where I would like to continue my route to the Master's Degree from May 2016.

Question: Will the credit transfer affect my PgDip course at my current university? I mean, will my credits really be 'transferred' i.e. deleted from my current university and would this cancel my PgDip?

Thank you for your advice!
    M

ReputationRep:
    Check with the university you are planning to apply to - generally you cannot transfer PGDip credits i.e. your PGDip may gain you entry to a master's at another uni but not give you any credit towards that. However at your same uni you will usually be allowed to use the PGDip credits as part of your masters.

Even if you can use credit from your PGDip it will not 'cancel' it - if you complete it and earn it it remains yours.

ReputationRep:
    Check with the university you are planning to apply to - generally you cannot transfer PGDip credits i.e. your PGDip may gain you entry to a master's at another uni but not give you any credit towards that. However at your same uni you will usually be allowed to use the PGDip credits as part of your masters.

Thanks for your advice!I have already checked with my new university. They will accept the credits (CATS at level 7) from my current university towards the Master's degree.

Even if you can use credit from your PGDip it will not 'cancel' it - if you complete it and earn it it remains yours.

Great. Sounds like there is nothing to worry about? I think the term 'credit transfer' is a bit misleading. I will then continue my route to the PgDip at my current university and study towards the Master's at the new one. I have not yet checked this with my current university as I think my tutor will be disappointed and this might affect my results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milian)
    [i][color=#62c4e6] I have not yet checked this with my current university as I think my tutor will be disappointed and this might affect my results.
    You believe your tutor would mark you a lower grade than you deserve because you want to go elsewhere? That's quite a serious charge on his or her academic integrity, as well as that of the university. Just sayin'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.