Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i thought chem 4 was just nicely done and it wasnt as tough as jan 2004
    thank god !! i only made a mistake at the part where you had to write the equations when you reacted it with water...other than that...nothing else

as for chem 5...it was a disaster actually..
    no..believe me that questions 1 to 4 wasnt that hard at least yet...and i was hoping for an A when i reached the end of the 4th question
    then came question 5.................
    i drew a distallation apparatus instead of a reflux...i wonder how much ill get...cause i know 1 point for the water bath and the other should be the UV light or the method of the chlorine inlet..and im not very sure where the other 4 points might have went to..
    and then there was the distillation graph...i drew it at the opposite direction and expect a 0 for that one and also the explaining part also..
    overall i think i might have just lost 12 points just for that ONE question !!
    argh...

so what did you guys think about the paper

ReputationRep:
    chem 4 was doable but still hard for me
    And yes chem 5 was a disaster!

ReputationRep:
    I thought unit 5 was quite hard too and i didn't like the bit about the grignards and the 2-step process to make phenyl ethanol. Everyone who did it at my school found it hard so if everyone's found it hard then maybe the grade boundries will be lower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeny)
    I thought unit 5 was quite hard too and i didn't like the bit about the grignards and the 2-step process to make phenyl ethanol. Everyone who did it at my school found it hard so if everyone's found it hard then maybe the grade boundries will be lower
    i can only hope that the grade bounaries will be lower! i honestly have nothing else going, i shoud get like 40%

ReputationRep:
    i screwed up big time .... no chance of an A ....

i forgot to put a reflux condenser on the apparatus .. screwed up the fractional distillation graph ...

got knows wtf i did .... ...

ReputationRep:
    stuff edexcel! whats the point of making the exams so hard!!

ReputationRep:
    it was more than a disaster!!! i'm doomed...i wont even get a B..none of the past year exam papers were that difficult. i found quite a few of the questions difficult..im just counting on the grade boundaries being lower as well...i hope c6 aint like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    it was more than a disaster!!! i'm doomed...i wont even get a B..none of the past year exam papers were that difficult. i found quite a few of the questions difficult..im just counting on the grade boundaries being lower as well...i hope c6 aint like this.
    me too
    low grade boundaries
    anyone know when the grade boundaries come out?

ReputationRep:
    phew, u5 was hard! i drew a reflux/condening colum coming out of one of those quickfit flasks, with an inlet for chlorine, being heated from below (Not in a water bath tho, cos it was at 110 C) and with a source of UV light.

what did everyone else get for that rates question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    phew, u5 was hard! i drew a reflux/condening colum coming out of one of those quickfit flasks, with an inlet for chlorine, being heated from below (Not in a water bath tho, cos it was at 110 C) and with a source of UV light.

what did everyone else get for that rates question?
    0.909/hr

ReputationRep:
    kp was 2450.25 and no units ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    0.909/hr

i got 0.25...most probably wrong..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    kp was 2450.25 and no units ?

yeh i got that as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    i got 0.25...most probably wrong..
    my friend got sumthing similiar ... but his was in seconds ... my answer was in hours ... we chceked and they both turned out to b rite ... probably u mite have converted it into seconds

ReputationRep:
    well i checked the value of k from my friends and most of them got around 0.8
    some had 0.9 and some had actually 0.7
    but there are so far no one with 0.2
    id guess tehres a range to be checked...btu im sure i got that one right..

in fact i think got almost everything from q1 to q4 all right except for the freakin q5
    ***** !!!
    and the grignard reagent..
    they showed a secondary alcohol with 2 carbon...so you should use ethanal followed with dilute HCl at room temperature

ReputationRep:
    what method did people use for the rates question. did you find the rate for the entire reaction?

ReputationRep:
    I think C5 went alright. The very first questions were offputting since they were deceptively easy. Basically all of us couldn't do the benzene to 1-phenylethanol question. Some of us spent ages on that. Afterwards, I learned that I should have got that one, after what a couple of my mates told me.

The paper was slightly harder than any of the others that I have seen. I don't think it was too hard though. The questions were varied - the reflux and fractional distillation questions were a surprise. The rate question was unlike others, in that there was no table. A different paper indeed.

I think the boundary for an A will be mid-fifties. I think I satisfy that. Bring on the synoptic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I think C5 went alright. The very first questions were offputting since they were deceptively easy. Basically all of us couldn't do the benzene to 1-phenylethanol question. Some of us spent ages on that. Afterwards, I learned that I should have got that one, after what a couple of my mates told me.

The paper was slightly harder than any of the others that I have seen. I don't think it was too hard though. The questions were varied - the reflux and fractional distillation questions were a surprise. The rate question was unlike others, in that there was no table. A different paper indeed.

I think the boundary for an A will be mid-fifties. I think I satisfy that. Bring on the synoptic!
    mid fifties out of 75? 90 or 100?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    mid fifties out of 75? 90 or 100?
    Raw marks, out of 75.

ReputationRep:
    well i think i speak for the majority of me skool - sweet mother of christ i cudnt do any of it. we hadnt even been taught about condensation polymers or amino acids :mad: god im screwed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.