Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In secret, I'm enchanted by psychopaths, narcissists, addicts and alcoholics <3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dead_again)
    I had previous accounts but...
    Wait...a dupe account...

Where are the Mods....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    Wait...a dupe account...

Where are the Mods....
    Farewell all.

(Original post by Dead_again)
    I want to love this person, just so they can't get what they want.
    Your ability to be sarcastic is opposite of the one you've mentioned previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Your ability to be sarcastic is opposite of the one you've mentioned previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a man or a woman?

ReputationRep:
    I think that deep down inside you don't believe you are lovable. That's why you have a need for unhealthy relationships and bad men, because you like the thought that somehow you could 'convert' them to love you. You probably think that when someone treats you terribly, you can try even harder to win their love and that you will prove to them that you are lovable.

Sadly though, men like this do not love you more than drugs/alcohol or , in the case of an abusive man, they do not love you, they love controlling you; to them you would be a possession not a girlfriend. So no matter how much you want to prove to yourself that you can turn the most unloving man to loving you, you can't. Really, you need to learn to love yourself, because until you do that you can't expect anyone else to. And when you have learned to love yourself, you will begin to realise that love in a relationship is mutual; it's about trust, respecting each other, being there for each other, understanding each other and deep friendship. None of this you could obtain from a psychopath, abuser, addict etc.

I would strongly recommend that you seek counselling to deal with these feelings. Something within you is driving this unhealthy relationship need. Has something happened in your past that may be stopping you from loving yourself, or that may be resulting in these feelings? I really do believe that this is a deep, possibly subconscious low self-esteem and lack of love for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Pm me. I only really care about people when I can use them for something. After that I no longer care about them. I feel nothing for anyone. I sort of just want everybody to die.

ReputationRep:
    Women that seem to thrive off being treated like crap are alarmingly not too uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    This is really sad. I hate to think what sort of life you must have had to feel his way. I'm so sorry for that. But just know that you are lovable. I'm sorry that you haven't met the right people in your life to help you see it. It sounds as if you are so used to feeling unhappy that you seek out negative emotions because that is what you feel safe with, and when people are nice to you it makes you uncomfortable.

The fact that you've recognised this and been able to articulate is wonderful actually, because now you have realised something isn't right and it's the first step in being able to do something about it. You can change things for yourself.

You're already seeing a counsellor which is really proactive and brave, so well done for that! You just really need to find the courage to try and tell her about these other things, because they are hugely important and probably affect EVERYTHING in your life - your relationships, sex life, work, studies. She can really help you to see things in a different way and lead a happy, healthy life.

The most important thing to improve here is your perception of yourself. When you start to have more self-value and self-worth, you won't want to seek out people who treat you like crap anymore.

I really believe in you! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    I think that deep down inside you don't believe you are lovable. That's why you have a need for unhealthy relationships and bad men, because you like the thought that somehow you could 'convert' them to love you. You probably think that when someone treats you terribly, you can try even harder to win their love and that you will prove to them that you are lovable.
    Sadly though, men like this do not love you more than drugs/alcohol or , in the case of an abusive man, they do not love you, they love controlling you; to them you would be a possession not a girlfriend. So no matter how much you want to prove to yourself that you can turn the most unloving man to loving you, you can't. Really, you need to learn to love yourself, because until you do that you can't expect anyone else to. And when you have learned to love yourself, you will begin to realise that love in a relationship is mutual; it's about trust, respecting each other, being there for each other, understanding each other and deep friendship. None of this you could obtain from a psychopath, abuser, addict etc.I would strongly recommend that you seek counselling to deal with these feelings. Something within you is driving this unhealthy relationship need. Has something happened in your past that may be stopping you from loving yourself, or that may be resulting in these feelings? I really do believe that this is a deep, possibly subconscious low self-esteem and lack of love for yourself.
    The pair of you would make excellent psychotherapists. Excellent advice

ReputationRep:
    Repeat this in a very serious voice: "i need help. I am mentally abnormal I need help!"

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a masochist.

Let me know if you want to get together.

Ok on a more serious note this is most likely caused by deep-rooted problems. Perhaps your father was cold and abusive and you are attracted to these men because that is all you know.

Perhaps you didn't receive enough love in your childhood and now feel unworthy.

You must talk to your counsellor about this. They will provide more insight than anyone here can.

daddy issues

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.