Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently received a write up letter about me vaping my e cig in my university accommodation, the letter stated a meeting due to it being a breach of license and i am really worried about getting into trouble, what is it they will say and what procedure will come following the incident and meeting? im really bad with anticipating bad things and im trying not to freak out.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to look at the terms of your licence. Were you doing it openly or just in your room? It would be unusual for them not to have a policy on smoking and vaping, which is almost certainly forbidden or only allowed outside.

I imagine they will ask you about it and you have to decide what your approach is going to be. You may wnat to use one of the student reps if you are in halls. Clearly you are in breach, so they may just find out more about how often etc. You ahve had long enough in accommodation this year to know or have had the opportunity to ask. The best I think you cna do is say you didnt realise vaping was banned, just normal smoking and apologise. They may or may not believe you and they may or may not give you a formal warning. I have no idea if you have been warned before, so be careful what you say.

I'd have thought youd be ok, unless there were prior warnings and you ignored them.

ReputationRep:
    I got caught smoking red handed in the kitchen lol £50 fine but that was at surrey uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also did they actually see you do it or did some one tout? If the latter then just deny they have no proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well what happened was the fire alarm went off in the hallway as i had people coming in and out of my room, the investigators found my room 'foggy' and that was it. they have said i am in breach of 1.16, which is 'no fireworks, weapons, gas canisters, illegalor legal highs' which really does boggle me as 1.15 is the one regarding smoking. the t's&c's say nothing about vaping, i will just admit to it being done and that i didnt realise it would cause such an uproar as i didnt know it wasnt allowed and thatim sorry ad it will not happen again.

ReputationRep:
    Do they even know that it was vaping? They probably haven't even written that into the agreement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmassive)
    well what happened was the fire alarm went off in the hallway as i had people coming in and out of my room, the investigators found my room 'foggy' and that was it. they have said i am in breach of 1.16, which is 'no fireworks, weapons, gas canisters, illegalor legal highs' which really does boggle me as 1.15 is the one regarding smoking. the t's&c's say nothing about vaping, i will just admit to it being done and that i didnt realise it would cause such an uproar as i didnt know it wasnt allowed and thatim sorry ad it will not happen again.
    You'll be fine if anything it will be a warning and maybe a fine for first offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Do they even know that it was vaping? They probably haven't even written that into the agreement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well they addressed it as 'gas vaping' so i think they do

ReputationRep:
    Bump, any more help? more details involve i did have a sock on my smoke alarm and was caught for that and havent done it since, stupid move on my behalf and i learnt my lesson, but will this effect the consequence of the vaping in my room?

ReputationRep:
    In breach of their license? That sounds like *******s.

Vaping indoors isn't illegal. Ask to see a copy of the license, and any agreements you've signed. Buy a cheap smoke alarm, test how much vapour you can blow directly into it before it sets off. Then take it with you to the meeting and do a demonstration (where you blow almost that amount, but not quite, or give it a bit more distance for realism).

What the **** is gas vaping? That's a tortology that makes no sense. Is cooking pasta also a breach of the terms? There were no gas canisters involved, the 'canister' contains liquid. Inhalers will technically be banned, though they may have a medical devices exemption.

I'd fight it and take it to appeal if they try anything like fines/bans. If they want to ban vaping, they can do it when they renew contracts, but you've done nothing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I thought RA was some kind of gangster

ReputationRep:
    At my uni it's a £200 fine and you're banned from halls for the remainder of your time at uni (so when your year is up you can't come back).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JoeTSR)

Vaping indoors isn't illegal. Ask to see a copy of the license, and any agreements you've signed. Buy a cheap smoke alarm, test how much vapour you can blow directly into it before it sets off. Then take it with you to the meeting and do a demonstration (where you blow almost that amount, but not quite, or give it a bit more distance for realism).

What the **** is gas vaping? That's a tortology that makes no sense. Is cooking pasta also a breach of the terms? There were no gas canisters involved, the 'canister' contains liquid. Inhalers will technically be banned, though they may have a medical devices exemption.

I'd fight it and take it to appeal if they try anything like fines/bans. If they want to ban vaping, they can do it when they renew contracts, but you've done nothing wrong.
    The above is terrible advice imo.
    It will be obvious from the terms of your rental whether its allowed or not..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The above is terrible advice imo.
    It will be obvious from the terms of your rental whether its allowed or not..
    Was anything in there inaccurate? Sure, a look at the terms is required.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i've been caught smoking at least 4 times (weed too) and nothings happened to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)

It's also not illegal to light candles or burn incense indoors but those things are usually banned in halls...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late replies, but the terms say nothing about vaping, althought term 1.15 says smoking indoors is not allowed

But I doubt vaping could get me kicked out. I have learnt my lesson and its caused so much hassle I may just pack it in entirely. Ive been told by someone who had the same problem that they were given warning the first time and the second time he had to have an action report where they check his room once a month

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Check your agreement, but unless they specifically mention it you should be fine. Even if they do mention it in the terms, I knew people that smoked (and were caught) in halls and just got a small fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    It's also not illegal to light candles or burn incense indoors but those things are usually banned in halls...
    Difference is, that firstly, those 2 things are a clear and obvious fire risk (and incense will set off smoke alarms). Also, I imagine there'll be something in the terms either about them specifically, or about unattended flames.
    (Original post by tmassive)
    Sorry for the late replies, but the terms say nothing about vaping, althought term 1.15 says smoking indoors is not allowed

But I doubt vaping could get me kicked out. I have learnt my lesson and its caused so much hassle I may just pack it in entirely. Ive been told by someone who had the same problem that they were given warning the first time and the second time he had to have an action report where they check his room once a month
    There you go, you're covered. Vaping isn't smoking. It's in no way a fire risk (or at least, less than using a laptop). The example you give is why you shouldn't just give in. Do the smoke detector demonstration. There's zero reason for it to be banned, you're being blamed for what someone else has done (I'm assuming here that you weren't blowing massive clouds, though even then I think the chances of setting off the smoke detector are basically none). Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.