Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    my potential options for next year are: biology, chemistry, maths, english lit and the 5th is further maths (which is the reason why it's 5)
    should I do it?! im having doubts...
    NO! This is an awful idea, 4 is hard enough!!

Please save yourself 2 years of pain and heartache and do not do this to yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*SamB)
    I am, also, facing that same dilemma. In fact, I was thinking of taking six or seven A-levels because I truly like all of my subjects equally and feel that I have the ability to take so many. I am thinking of doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, History, English Literature and French. If I were to take a seventh, it would be either in Further Mathematics, Physics of Geography.
    You could, it wouldn't be easy; that's if you want to do anything else in your free time. If you really think you have the ability, then stick to 4 all the way through, and dedicate time to a few ECs, so that you can show unis that you're passionate about your subjects, not just your grades. That doesn't mean do 20 ECs, but do two or three well!

A levels are just part of your application (a big part though, I admit).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by hals)
    my potential options for next year are: biology, chemistry, maths, english lit and the 5th is further maths (which is the reason why it's 5)
    I don't recommend it. If you're desperate to take all five and you're confident that you can do well in all then okay but particularly since you're already having doubts, I don't recommend it. What subject are you intending to apply for at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Do them if you want. It won't help you in terms of university admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    You need to think about what you want to do in the future. It's all very well enjoying them, but you have to be decisive. Also your school will probably refuse to enter you for 7 AS subjects. The maximum most schools will do is 5.

My advice is to take four AS subjects, and then take 3 A2 and an AS in Y13.
    7 AS is a joke, there's a few people that can do it, but they're far and few between, and unless you literally are a child prodigy then you shouldn't be thinking about it.

I haven't found a college that would enter me for 5, even. I chose my current college over Peter Symonds because they said they would enter me for 5, but they lied to me, and several others, and all of us are doing 4. It gets worse, the senior administration built their lie further, saying that the other "young man" who they had talked to with me had informed them he would take 4. They didn't figure that the other young man was my friend of ten years, so of course I knew.

You can always try and teach yourself a fifth, of course, and ask to sit in on the classes. You can then enter as a private candidate, either at your own college, or at another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweath)
    If you think Maths A level will be easy, then you're pretty likely to enjoy it! It's not too hard, but a whole different game to GCSE maths. The topics are a lot more interesting, and things become a lot more relevant!

You might love biology, but if you're good at maths, take physics!

Further will spice things up of course; however, can't really comment on it as I'm taking it next year (whole maths A level this year, whole further next).
    I've already taken Physics GCSE...I didn't really enjoy it that much so it's not really a contender.
    We've started on the A level Maths content this year so I might be able to do something similar to you with the A level, where do you go?
    What other subjects are you taking?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How are people even allowed to do this many?
    My sixth form is requiring 7A* at GCSE to do 4 A Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    7 AS is a joke, there's a few people that can do it, but they're far and few between, and unless you literally are a child prodigy then you shouldn't be thinking about it.

I haven't found a college that would enter me for 5, even. I chose my current college over Peter Symonds because they said they would enter me for 5, but they lied to me, and several others, and all of us are doing 4. It gets worse, the senior administration built their lie further, saying that the other "young man" who they had talked to with me had informed them he would take 4. They didn't figure that the other young man was my friend of ten years, so of course I knew.

You can always try and teach yourself a fifth, of course, and ask to sit in on the classes. You can then enter as a private candidate, either at your own college, or at another.
    Why are you quoting me lol. I'm already doing my A-levels...

ReputationRep:
    Do it! I wish I was doing 5. I wanted to do Chemistry, French, Economics, Maths and Further Maths but I'm not doing French. I miss it :/ (though I did 3 AS levels in year 11 so I will have extra qualifications, but I wanted to do 5 just because I like all the subjects)

ReputationRep:
    If you really really like each subject, yes.

If you don't NO.

I did five AS, enjoyed them, went well. It's just gonna be a whole lotta work you'll resent if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    I am, also, facing that same dilemma. In fact, I was thinking of taking six or seven A-levels because I truly like all of my subjects equally and feel that I have the ability to take so many. I am thinking of doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, History, English Literature and French. If I were to take a seventh, it would be either in Further Mathematics, Physics of Geography.
    I'm doing 5 A2s and 1 AS, so a workload equivalent to 6 subjects. It is possible. (Although half of them are maths, so there's a lot of overlap ). If you want to do more than 4 subjects, favour science and maths. I find that they're much quicker to learn than essay-based subjects. Geography is my hardest subject, simply because there is so much content. Obviously don't choose a subject unless you really enjoy it, and don't expect universities to favour you simply for doing so many subjects.

+ Don't expect to go outside much.

ReputationRep:
    6 is potentially doable if they're closely related and you put a lot of work in and don't study anything else. Yours aren't closely related. Also, if you take 6 you'd almost definitely have to self-study one of them. I'd advise against more than 5.5 because you'll probably want to study other stuff on the side and take a break every once in a while. 7 is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    what do you wanna do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    NO, 5 will be way too much work, especially if your fifth option is further maths... you won't get any extra credit for it, unis never ask for five subjects. You'll just get 5 mediocre grades rather than 4 or 3 really good ones. You can always redo A-levels later in life if you think you picked the wrong subjects but please, please don't do 5 now.

I'm doing 4 A2s and it is hell on earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    If you're talking AS, then yes, if you want to. I took the same subjects at AS (except German instead of English) and although it was excruciating at the time, looking back on it I fared fine. If you don't revise throughout the year though you'll have a hellish May though, so be warned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniMusic)
    I've already taken Physics GCSE...I didn't really enjoy it that much so it's not really a contender.
    We've started on the A level Maths content this year so I might be able to do something similar to you with the A level, where do you go?
    What other subjects are you taking?
    Thanks!
    I hated Physics GCSE, and switched from German to Physics A level four weeks in. It's completely different in content and style. Have a browse through the topics, and see if they interest you (better electronics, particle physics etc.?).

I go to a state school in Herts, and that's the way we do it here. Essentially cover the whole A level maths in one year, and then all of Further the next.

Taking maths in one year, and then no maths course the next year is a bad idea. If you want to apply for any maths related course, most unis won't like it, as they think you'll forget a lot of it (which you will!).

I'm taking ComSci, Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year. It's not too easy (with coursework), but revise all year round, and do ECs as much as you can and you'll be a great applicant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    No wayy, it is unnecessary stress on yourself! Universities now only want 3 and you won't be treated any differently to a person with 3 A levels when you send off your UCAS application. Take 3 or maybe even 4 if you really have to, you'll be looking back this time next year thinking what an awful mistake you've made by choosing 5 A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Why are you quoting me lol. I'm already doing my A-levels...
    Commenting on what you said about most colleges allowing you to do 5, I couldn't find one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoyouEden?)
    No wayy, it is unnecessary stress on yourself! Universities now only want 3 and you won't be treated any differently to a person with 3 A levels when you send off your UCAS application. Take 3 or maybe even 4 if you really have to, you'll be looking back this time next year thinking what an awful mistake you've made by choosing 5 A levels!
    Someone taking 5 A-Levels not being treated different to someone who took 3? I think that could be better worded, because that's plain wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancatpro)
    English doesn't fit in there at all.

It doesn't compliment any of those other subjects.

You can't really go to uni to do English related stuff because you only have science subjects and not another writing subject.

And English contributes nothing towards doing maths/science at uni.

IMO bio, chem, maths, further maths is best (physics also good but I assume you don't like it)
    I chose English because I enjoy it and thought it would add more breadth to my choices? idek... I pretty much think 5 is a bad idea as well but I just wanted to hear what people had to say. and no I don't mind taking Phyiscs but other years have told me that maths and further maths covers the whole physics course? so should I drop further maths and English tp do physcis then?

(only problem is then I won't have an essay-based subject for uni's_

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.