Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweath)
    You could, it wouldn't be easy; that's if you want to do anything else in your free time. If you really think you have the ability, then stick to 4 all the way through, and dedicate time to a few ECs, so that you can show unis that you're passionate about your subjects, not just your grades. That doesn't mean do 20 ECs, but do two or three well!

A levels are just part of your application (a big part though, I admit).
    that seems reasonable! also what are ECs? (sorry I hardly know anything do I lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't recommend it. If you're desperate to take all five and you're confident that you can do well in all then okay but particularly since you're already having doubts, I don't recommend it. What subject are you intending to apply for at Uni?
    I'm thinking dentistry or chemical engineering? and no I'm definitely NOT 100% sure, thanks for the advice. r u doing a-levels atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    7 AS is a joke, there's a few people that can do it, but they're far and few between, and unless you literally are a child prodigy then you shouldn't be thinking about it.

I haven't found a college that would enter me for 5, even. I chose my current college over Peter Symonds because they said they would enter me for 5, but they lied to me, and several others, and all of us are doing 4. It gets worse, the senior administration built their lie further, saying that the other "young man" who they had talked to with me had informed them he would take 4. They didn't figure that the other young man was my friend of ten years, so of course I knew.

You can always try and teach yourself a fifth, of course, and ask to sit in on the classes. You can then enter as a private candidate, either at your own college, or at another.
    wow I didn't realise so many schools were against it. our sixth form is allowing it as long as the 5th option is further maths (if you've already maths) which is why I thought...errr....maybe?
    I cant acc believe they lied to you, that's just bs if some1 wants to take 5 they can
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by hals)
    I'm thinking dentistry or chemical engineering? and no I'm definitely NOT 100% sure, thanks for the advice. r u doing a-levels atm?
    Well you sort of do need to make this decision relatively soon. For Dentistry, you should definitely take Biology and Chemistry (and then I'd suggest either Maths+English or Maths+Further Maths). For Chemical Engineering, I'd recommend Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (and either Biology or English as your fourth or even better, Physics).

ReputationRep:
    If you know exactly want you want to do at Uni look at the offers for the best uni's for your course, sometimes you can get easier requirements because you do more than 3 A levels.
    Doing 4 A2s has spared me from doing the god awful STEP exam for Maths for my 1st choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    that seems reasonable! also what are ECs? (sorry I hardly know anything do I lol)
    ECs just means extra curricular activities. You'll need to have some to show that you love your subject (if you're only applying in the UK), and some other good ones that are more general if you're thinking about the US. With ECs, it's the quality rather than quantity that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweath)
    I hated Physics GCSE, and switched from German to Physics A level four weeks in. It's completely different in content and style. Have a browse through the topics, and see if they interest you (better electronics, particle physics etc.?).

I go to a state school in Herts, and that's the way we do it here. Essentially cover the whole A level maths in one year, and then all of Further the next.

Taking maths in one year, and then no maths course the next year is a bad idea. If you want to apply for any maths related course, most unis won't like it, as they think you'll forget a lot of it (which you will!).

I'm taking ComSci, Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year. It's not too easy (with coursework), but revise all year round, and do ECs as much as you can and you'll be a great applicant!
    Thanks That's really useful!
    I wouldn't drop Maths in the 2nd year, I think, I probably would forget it knowing me, but getting more out of the subject would be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Well you sort of do need to make this decision relatively soon. For Dentistry, you should definitely take Biology and Chemistry (and then I'd suggest either Maths+English or Maths+Further Maths). For Chemical Engineering, I'd recommend Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (and either Biology or English as your fourth or even better, Physics).
    I'm hearing a lot of talk about how further maths won't be that useful lately. is this true? a lot of people keep telling me I'm better off with just physics and maths rather than further maths and maths. and do uni's like breadth, so it would be good to have an essay-based subject like english? or should i just go ahead and do all the natural sciences and maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I study Mathematics, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I narrowly missed taking Chemistry, and I don't recommend five. I work harder than most people already, and my subjects overlap much more than yours. Only consider it if you don't mind devoting all your time for the next year to your study, and don't have any financial worries etcetera that might also demand time.
    yeah i think you're right, ur maths, fm and physics overlap a lot, and from what i know of computer science gcse, it's TOUGH - i sirsy admire u for taking it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by hals)
    I'm hearing a lot of talk about how further maths won't be that useful lately. is this true? a lot of people keep telling me I'm better off with just physics and maths rather than further maths and maths. and do uni's like breadth, so it would be good to have an essay-based subject like english? or should i just go ahead and do all the natural sciences and maths?
    For what subject? For any physical science, e.g. (Engineering inclusive), Further Maths would be incredibly useful. If you're doing a medical science then it might be of lesser use but certainly for any science that involves a significant amount of maths (i.e. most sciences), Further Maths is one of the most useful subjects you can take. I'm doing an undergraduate course in a science with a reasonable amount of Maths and the people who are having the biggest advantage are those who have done Further Maths.

English is not going to be useful for a physical science, I'm not sure about Dentistry but I'd have thought that Further Maths would still be more useful.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I believe you wouldn't struggle with this unless you are not capable of it. At the moment I am studying 4 and I'm finding quite difficult. In saying this my brother studied further maths, maths, english literature, physics and biology didn't struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    I chose English because I enjoy it and thought it would add more breadth to my choices? idek... I pretty much think 5 is a bad idea as well but I just wanted to hear what people had to say. and no I don't mind taking Phyiscs but other years have told me that maths and further maths covers the whole physics course? so should I drop further maths and English tp do physcis then?

(only problem is then I won't have an essay-based subject for uni's_
    It is a 100% lie that maths + further maths covers the physics course, for ANY SPECS.

The maths courses do not cover electricity at all is one huge example

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.