Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    In September I am going to start studying law. I moved to the UK in September 2014. So, I am not eligible to receive a maintenance loan but I know as a migrant worker I can get the same benefits as a UK student. I have a part time job that is 15 hours. Do I really need 16 hours. I am living in Derby and over here it is so hard to get even a job as student. I am still looking for another job but the problem is that I need to have a job at least 3 months in order to send my payslips.

    I am grateful for any help.

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi baixinha

    You can apply as a migrant worker, you need to show that you would earn enough funds to live on from your employment without having and student finance.
    These are some of terms:
    • Be EEA or Swiss National
    • Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • They, their parent/step-parent, or partner* must be working throughout their studies
    • Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.