Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really quite upset at someones reaction to my Dad Watch

In short, I am a minority in the north east of England and I was in the barbers having my hair cut. There was a man sat reading a newspaper behind us and the barber basically asked me what I did and then what my Dad did. I told the barber the truth, I was laid off in a redundancy from my graduate job and was in between jobs.

Then she asked what my Dad did and I said he was unemployed. My Mum works and is the breadwinner in the family at the moment. The guy behind me made a smirk (typical middle aged lager lout looking white guy). I told the barber my Dad had a brain tumour, and he got it cut out, he is not working as he can't. I did not tell them about his disabilities resulting from the tumour.

I just felt like it was very awkward, I was upset by the reaction of the guy behind me. I can't assume he is racist, but what i can assume is that people just instantly assume that minorities/people in general without jobs are all spongers.

ReputationRep:
    That man deserves a slap across the face with a chair
    some people are too egoistic

ReputationRep:
    The fella is so angry he made the thread twice.

You're not to blame but you should learn to keep things to yourself. Details about your family's health and their source of income etc it's not something you should discuss with strangers. Sometimes you just need to take the initiative and recognise that you barely know these people and it's not their business. You can tell them variations of the truth e.g that you've just finished university and are still attending job interviews etc rather than plainly saying you're unemployed, if that makes sense. It's not your fault that you said too much, but try to keep these things to yourself. Even your friends don't need to know things about your family's health and income. At the most you could tell your partner or very close friends about these things and remember that barbers are just making general conversation with you - they're not really interested and they don't expect much from you either. Don't satisfy strangers by telling them every specific detail and learn how to answer questions without giving away so much private information.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, made this thread twice by accident. Mods delete please.

ReputationRep:
    I think all unemployed people are judged, regardless of race. But if you think it's fair game to make comments like this:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    typical middle aged lager lout looking white guy
    Then even if they were being racist, you can't really complain can you? It'd be a tad hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    It was funny watching that show on channel 4 keeping up with the khans and seeing all those racists complaining about foreigners lol. That's an interesting show to watch if you want to see what some British people are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In short, I am a minority in the north east of England and I was in the barbers having my hair cut. There was a man sat reading a newspaper behind us and the barber basically asked me what I did and then what my Dad did. I told the barber the truth, I was laid off in a redundancy from my graduate job and was in between jobs.

Then she asked what my Dad did and I said he was unemployed. My Mum works and is the breadwinner in the family at the moment. The guy behind me made a smirk (typical middle aged lager lout looking white guy). I told the barber my Dad had a brain tumour, and he got it cut out, he is not working as he can't. I did not tell them about his disabilities resulting from the tumour.

I just felt like it was very awkward, I was upset by the reaction of the guy behind me. I can't assume he is racist, but what i can assume is that people just instantly assume that minorities/people in general without jobs are all spongers.
    He's just an assh**** mate! He laughed before what he head what your dad went through. I think it was more awkward for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    It was funny watching that show on channel 4 keeping up with the khans and seeing all those racists complaining about foreigners lol. That's an interesting show to watch if you want to see what some British people are like.
    Some Brits do genuinely believe in the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    "They're taking our jobs " lool

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.