Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really quite upset at someones reaction to my Dad Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Here's my view on things: if people behave like pricks towards me or my family. I very quickly turn unpleasant. I am otherwise very nice.
    That's fine just make sure you stand up for yourself in a safe way. Your father doesn't need you in jail because they found a way to spin self-defense on you, when you were responding to their passive-aggression.

ReputationRep:
    The story here is not racism but classism. Specifically the ruling class reducing the amount of jobs available and then having the lower class ***** amongst themselves about who has a job and who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    People like to laugh at others it's just the way of humanity. Everyone will have to deal with being laughed at sometime and everyone will have to feel hardship, no one is above this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I totally get why you're upset. What happened was offensive and naturally you're protective over your dad (I know I am). Quite frankly it's absolutely none of their business what you do or what your dad does and I find those questions quite strange. If I were you I'd try to forget about it. You can't change ignorant people so don't even try. In the future just make stuff up.

FYI I am a minority too with a Latin sounding name but I don't look Latin, I get weird comments all the time and if I don't care about the person I just make stuff up! Don't let ignorant people put you in a box and judge you. Who cares what they think!

ReputationRep:
    That guy sounds like a typical racist Nazi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    People like to laugh at others it's just the way of humanity. Everyone will have to deal with being laughed at sometime and everyone will have to feel hardship, no one is above this.
    Yeah, I really dislike it when middle class and working class people judge each other for not having jobs. They auto assume things that the papers put out "e.g. its mirgrants, its because these white kids are lazy chavs". It's just very toxic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterfly1452)
    Yeah, I totally get why you're upset. What happened was offensive and naturally you're protective over your dad (I know I am). Quite frankly it's absolutely none of their business what you do or what your dad does and I find those questions quite strange. If I were you I'd try to forget about it. You can't change ignorant people so don't even try. In the future just make stuff up.

FYI I am a minority too with a Latin sounding name but I don't look Latin, I get weird comments all the time and if I don't care about the person I just make stuff up! Don't let ignorant people put you in a box and judge you. Who cares what they think!
    Lol I get that all the time too, I don't look like a "Carnell".

ReputationRep:
    Lol I get that all the time too, I don't look like a "Carnell".
    Yeah exactly. I'm just like, who are you to tell me what I do and don't look like? Just f*ck off with your need to pigeonhole people.

OP, I suggest you develop some serious sass.

ReputationRep:
    In short, I am a minority in the north east of England and I was in the barbers having my hair cut. There was a man sat reading a newspaper behind us and the barber basically asked me what I did and then what my Dad did. I told the barber the truth, I was laid off in a redundancy from my graduate job and was in between jobs.

Then she asked what my Dad did and I said he was unemployed. My Mum works and is the breadwinner in the family at the moment. The guy behind me made a smirk (typical middle aged lager lout looking white guy). I told the barber my Dad had a brain tumour, and he got it cut out, he is not working as he can't. I did not tell them about his disabilities resulting from the tumour.I just felt like it was very awkward, I was upset by the reaction of the guy behind me.

I can't assume he is racist, but what i can assume is that people just instantly assume that minorities/people in general without jobs are all spongers. It just felt degrading.
    Think you need thicker skin my friend, dont let a look a stranger gave you get you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heineken)
    Think you need thicker skin my friend, dont let a look a stranger gave you get you down.
    It does bother me, we don't have much money and I struggle to keep a long term job. I guess I just really hate the snobbery people have towards those that don't have jobs. I think that is my next big goal in life, to be able to financially provide for the family so that people can't be judgmental like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.