Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hearing loss exhaustion help/experience? Watch

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with hearing loss exhaustion? I didn't even realise it was a thing until recently...
    I have single sided deafness but my 'good' side is having a rapid decline to the extent I rely almost entirely on lip reading and physical cues. My audiologist said this can be draining as I'm in year 13 so have to attempt to lip read in English as Well as in Spanish and French for my a2s(!!)
    Basically it's exhausting me by lunch time to the extent I can barely focus in afternoon lessons. I know should tell my school but I'm worried about it sounding ridiculous...
    Btw I have another appointment to try and combat the loss but its not for 2 months and I need advice for in the mean time :/
    TIA
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with hearing loss exhaustion? I didn't even realise it was a thing until recently...
    I have single sided deafness but my 'good' side is having a rapid decline to the extent I rely almost entirely on lip reading and physical cues. My audiologist said this can be draining as I'm in year 13 so have to attempt to lip read in English as Well as in Spanish and French for my a2s(!!)
    Basically it's exhausting me by lunch time to the extent I can barely focus in afternoon lessons. I know should tell my school but I'm worried about it sounding ridiculous...
    Btw I have another appointment to try and combat the loss but its not for 2 months and I need advice for in the mean time :/
    TIA
    I know it's not what you want to hear but tell your school, it doesn't sound silly at all, you're working a lot harder than 'normal' people to do the same thing so it's natural that you'd get tired quicker! I have very different hearing problems to you and nowhere near as bad but I notice it as well if I've been struggling- I have CFS so things like that have a big affect on me.

If you tell your school they might be able to arrange t so you can work more from books or something, I know speaking/listening are a big part of languages (you're brave doing them!) but I'm sure there's other stuff just that's what I happened to think of first. There's also exam arrangements and things but I'd imagine that's similar to previous years for you.

Hope you manage to sort things a bit soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    TIA
    You deffinately won't sound rediculous. It makes perfect sense that you would be finding it difficult. They should be able to suggest some things but it would be good if you can think of anything that might help you. Would missing out the other languages for now help? That or another class you could miss to take some time to rest. Is there anything that helps your hearing or another way of taking in information that you find less tiring than lip reading? If you would be able to hear them if they were louder you could possibly use a mic and headphones so you can turn the volume up? I'm not sure of anything else that could help cos to be honest i'm amazed you can lip read in other languages let alone english so i'm clearly not aware of every possibility you may have.
    You might also be able to ask somebody on the medical side like your audoligist if they know anything that could make things easier.

Good luck in your appointment by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely tell your school. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be entitled to some extra exam time and perhaps other help.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Definitely tell your school. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be entitled to some extra exam time and perhaps other help.
    This is deffinately a possibility. You should be entitled to DSA (disabled students allowance) which would mean you get an asessment for anything that may help you in your situation. Things like extra time, scribes, seperate rooms in exams, equipment to help you study are common. They could provide a voice recorder and computer programmes that could be useful for instance.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3940983

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.