Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Does anyone have advice on how to achieve an A* in Chemistry A2? Getting an A in Chemistry A2 is moderately easy, but I find achieving an A* quite tricky (unlike other subjects like Biology where it is much easier). Since the mark schemes are very inconsistent between years and the CGP revision guide nor the Ann Fullick textbook contain all the information to potentially get full marks. What other resources should be used?
    How do you achieve your A* in Chemistry? Since grade boundaries and relatively high many people must be getting it.
    Please give some adivice.
    Cheers,

ReputationRep:
    Work hard from now until exams - I somehow managed it. I did Edexcel chemistry, and here is a link to my google drive with all my chemistry notes on - the ones from A2 (Unit4/5) are a lot better.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UU&usp=sharing

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this looks great! Which text book is this? And which year did you do your A2?

(Original post by Chazatthekeys)
    Work hard from now until exams - I somehow managed it. I did Edexcel chemistry, and here is a link to my google drive with all my chemistry notes on - the ones from A2 (Unit4/5) are a lot better.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemA2456)
    Thank you so much, this looks great! Which text book is this? And which year did you do your A2?
    No worries! Well the Unit 4/5 are my ones, based on Edexcel - not sure where the other textbook is from was just an ebook we used when doing the A-Level! I started 2013 and got my results August just gone for the full A2!

ReputationRep:
    No worries! Well the Unit 4/5 are my ones, based on Edexcel - not sure where the other textbook is from was just an ebook we used when doing the A-Level! I started 2013 and got my results August just gone for the full A2!
    Great. How did you do in your AS and your A2 in terms of UMS marks?

ReputationRep:
    Great. How did you do in your AS and your A2 in terms of UMS marks?
    Oh god um, I got 253/300 in AS I think and 533/600 in A2! I got 106/120,120/120 and 54/60 respectively in Unit 4, 5 and 6

ReputationRep:
    Oh god um, I got 253/300 in AS I think and 533/600 in A2! I got 106/120,120/120 and 54/60 respectively in Unit 4, 5 and 6
    Congratulations on U5, that is pretty damn good. But thanks that's motivating Are you going to uni now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazatthekeys)
    oh god um, i got 253/300 in as i think and 533/600 in a2! I got 106/120,120/120 and 54/60 respectively in unit 4, 5 and 6
    wow that u5 score!!!

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps
    Thank you so much for the notes, they look amazingly helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on U5, that is pretty damn good. But thanks that's motivating Are you going to uni now?
    Thanks lol - if I can do it then anyone can!
    Yeah, but I'm not studying chemistry now lol I'm studying maths at Uni of Bath!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fannibal)
    Thank you so much for the notes, they look amazingly helpful!
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamran Fazal)
    wow that u5 score!!!

I know right xD

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Does anyone have advice on how to achieve an A* in Chemistry A2? Getting an A in Chemistry A2 is moderately easy, but I find achieving an A* quite tricky (unlike other subjects like Biology where it is much easier). Since the mark schemes are very inconsistent between years and the CGP revision guide nor the Ann Fullick textbook contain all the information to potentially get full marks. What other resources should be used?
    How do you achieve your A* in Chemistry? Since grade boundaries and relatively high many people must be getting it.
    Please give some adivice.
    Cheers,
    I wish you could tell me how it is easier for biology ?, like I find the chance of getting an A* in chemistry is much higher than biology!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    I wish you could tell me how it is easier for biology ?, like I find the chance of getting an A* in chemistry is much higher than biology!!
    Really??? That surprises me a lot! Maybe I am just much stronger at Bio than Chem but given the rediculous grade boundaries getting 120/120 (in some years 80% Raw) is quite easy.
    My adivce for Bio is reading the Ann Fullick textbook thoroughly. It does have all the information required. Additionally you might find it helpful to do past papers and analyse the mark schemes. They tend to be the same all year round and thus you can "learn" them off by heart.
    What really helps me is taking out the key points that they are looking for and learning those. For instance when any question is about e.g. enzymes, what immediately should come to your mind is what it is made of (polypeptide, primary structure, peptide bond, tertiary structrue, folding and coiling R groups, hydrogen bonds etc...) those tend to give you full marks easily in those 3-5 mark questions.
    Also, I write my answers in bulletpoints (but those with the (*) do write in full sentences) this saves a lot of time and makes it much easier to write down your ideas and to know how much your answer might score. I also find it helpful in recalling the steps from memory when I write my answers step by step.
    And for the data analysis question, if you have to describe a graph or table, ALWAYS do manipulation of figures (just some easy calculation) which most of the time gives you a mark.
    Finally underline key words in the questions (I hated when teachers say that but just do it). When you read the words enzyme and structure in one sentence the points I have written above should come to your mind immediately.

Like I said, try to memorise those key terms that are essential for scoring easy marks. Same with HIV for instance, talking about gp120 glycoproteins is an easy mark to score, as are all the specific names for the receptors in the immune system. Also, diffusion was a word especially in AS that gives easy marks many questions.
    Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Really??? That surprises me a lot! Maybe I am just much stronger at Bio than Chem but given the rediculous grade boundaries getting 120/120 (in some years 80% Raw) is quite easy.
    My adivce for Bio is reading the Ann Fullick textbook thoroughly. It does have all the information required. Additionally you might find it helpful to do past papers and analyse the mark schemes. They tend to be the same all year round and thus you can "learn" them off by heart.
    What really helps me is taking out the key points that they are looking for and learning those. For instance when any question is about e.g. enzymes, what immediately should come to your mind is what it is made of (polypeptide, primary structure, peptide bond, tertiary structrue, folding and coiling R groups, hydrogen bonds etc...) those tend to give you full marks easily in those 3-5 mark questions.
    Also, I write my answers in bulletpoints (but those with the (*) do write in full sentences) this saves a lot of time and makes it much easier to write down your ideas and to know how much your answer might score. I also find it helpful in recalling the steps from memory when I write my answers step by step.
    And for the data analysis question, if you have to describe a graph or table, ALWAYS do manipulation of figures (just some easy calculation) which most of the time gives you a mark.
    Finally underline key words in the questions (I hated when teachers say that but just do it). When you read the words enzyme and structure in one sentence the points I have written above should come to your mind immediately.

Like I said, try to memorise those key terms that are essential for scoring easy marks. Same with HIV for instance, talking about gp120 glycoproteins is an easy mark to score, as are all the specific names for the receptors in the immune system. Also, diffusion was a word especially in AS that gives easy marks many questions.
    Thank you so much for your advice, I will surely try to start using it!! One last question, do you know what should I revise from As for unit 5 since it's synoptic?
    And I am studying biology by myself from the Ann fillic book which is relieving as you said it contains everything!!
    I want to ask you about a text written in the book: in the glycolysis stage, it wrote " Three molecules of ATP result from each 3C sugar passing through glycolysis" I have been stuck on this point like forever, because I know that 4 molecules of ATP are released in the glycolysis stage and the net ATP gained is 2 so how three molecules of ATP are produced per 3C sugar ?

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps
    Hey, those are great notes! Do you have any similar notes for biology?

ReputationRep:

Woow thanks for these tips!
    How did you do in As biology?
    Also do you have any tips for Empa practicals?

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps
    Thanks a lot for these! Really well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cilla_e)
    Woow thanks for these tips!
    How did you do in As biology?
    Also do you have any tips for Empa practicals?
    I do Edexcel courseworks so I can't really help with the Empa (not extremely sure what it actually is) In my AS I got 113/120 103/120 and 50/60, but the grade boundaries become much better when doing A2. Unit 3 and 6 however is always a gamble, you can never be sure what the external examiner will think about it.

If these practicals are like the core practicals then I believe its just identifying and following the structures they want. For instance always include independent variable, dependent variable, 2 controlls and a repeat + how to measure dependent varaible, those are easy marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Thank you so much for your advice, I will surely try to start using it!! One last question, do you know what should I revise from As for unit 5 since it's synoptic?
    And I am studying biology by myself from the Ann fillic book which is relieving as you said it contains everything!!
    I want to ask you about a text written in the book: in the glycolysis stage, it wrote " Three molecules of ATP result from each 3C sugar passing through glycolysis" I have been stuck on this point like forever, because I know that 4 molecules of ATP are released in the glycolysis stage and the net ATP gained is 2 so how three molecules of ATP are produced per 3C sugar ?
    To be honest I havent familiarised my self that much with the pre-release yet, so I would probably have to come back to you at a later date.
    (there are some minor exception to the textbook containing everyithing, such as gp120 glycoprotein on HIV but these can be found in the mark schemes of old papers)
    So coming to your question: I am not 100% sure but this makes sense:
    On page 132 it mentions "two hdrogen atoms are removed from the 3C sugars and taken up by NAD forming reduced NAD". The reduced NAD then moves into the outer mitochondrial membrane where it goes down the electron transport chain. When you turn to page 138, there is a diagram on the left (7.1.14) This shows how one molecule of reduced NAD goes through the electron transport chain and produces 3 molecules of ATP until it eventually forms water. Thus you can say, that strictly speaking one 3C sugar produces reduced NAD that is equivalent to producing 3 molecules of ATP later on in the electron transport chain. This does not howerver consider the NET production of the whole process of splitting one molecule of glucose. To consider this you would have to subtract the ATP used to phosphorylate the sugar AND the ATP made when the 3C sugar is converted to pyruvate (In the assumption of producing 3 molecules of ATP, we only counted the reduced NAD formed that results in the production of ATP, not the actual ATP released in the process itself. The book only mentioned "some amount of ATP" made when forming pyruvate. I guess this is why they did not quantify it and give an overall ATP production here.
    Does this make sense to you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.