Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London Academy of Excellence or Brampton Manor Sixth Form 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which sixth-form would you choose?
    London Academy of Excellence
    42.86%
    Brampton Manor Academy
    57.14%

ReputationRep:
    I go to Brampton Yr 12, and there are some things you should know. You are promised a Bursary of £200 per term but there's a catch. Everytime you get a late detention, £5 is deducted from it. Every late mark is a 30 minute detention And they don't give you your bursary immediately, they gave us ours after we broke up for christmas. They make you buy their PE kit but they don't make you wear it. One time, a teacher threatened to give late detentions if people didn't come in with the correct uniform. For 6th formers, the music lessons are split with 1 teacher getting 4 students for 20 minutes. I just stopped going because 5 minutes a week isn't enough. What a waste of money. You're not allowed to go out during breaks, you have to stay in school like secondary school children. The teaching quality isn't bad, but it isn't as amazing as mentioned on the website. You'll pretty much find the same quality teaching at LAE. The mathematics department isn't too good either, as some teachers are quite incompetent. You have to use a key card every time you want to get into somewhere and if you lose the receptionist purposely doesn't let you in. BTW it cost £20 to get a new one. If you want a locker, you will be short £1. They make you mark your homework yourself. At least in chemistr, if you don't get at least (sometimes 80 sometimes 100%) in a test, you have to come back and do a detention. Music room, GYM and other facilies aren't in the 6th form building. They're shared with the rest of thee school in the main building.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBMA)
    I go to Brampton Yr 12, and there are some things you should know. You are promised a Bursary of £200 per term but there's a catch. Everytime you get a late detention, £5 is deducted from it. Every late mark is a 30 minute detention And they don't give you your bursary immediately, they gave us ours after we broke up for christmas. They make you buy their PE kit but they don't make you wear it. One time, a teacher threatened to give late detentions if people didn't come in with the correct uniform. For 6th formers, the music lessons are split with 1 teacher getting 4 students for 20 minutes. I just stopped going because 5 minutes a week isn't enough. What a waste of money. You're not allowed to go out during breaks, you have to stay in school like secondary school children. The teaching quality isn't bad, but it isn't as amazing as mentioned on the website. You'll pretty much find the same quality teaching at LAE. The mathematics department isn't too good either, as some teachers are quite incompetent. You have to use a key card every time you want to get into somewhere and if you lose the receptionist purposely doesn't let you in. BTW it cost £20 to get a new one. If you want a locker, you will be short £1. They make you mark your homework yourself. At least in chemistr, if you don't get at least (sometimes 80 sometimes 100%) in a test, you have to come back and do a detention. Music room, GYM and other facilies aren't in the 6th form building. They're shared with the rest of thee school in the main building.
    That's true. I have to mark all my maths homework, mixed exercises and past papers too. Also, I don't think they take away £5 for each late, I think they take away more or it doubles. I don't really understand it. The music lessons are really short. I have cello lessons at short break so I'm always late for Chemistry because we don't hear the bell so my teacher just carries on until another student comes. The bell in the morning actually rings one minute early, so the teachers will still say that you are late even if you are on time. And the library lady learns a few people's names so even if the whole of study is talking she calls out the few people that she knows and bam detention. It's just a struggle..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra2816)
    I want to study Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
    How are the class sizes? How many people are in each class?
    When does the school day start and end?
    Is there a study room? And what is in there? I didn't get to see on the open day.
    This is exactly me

ReputationRep:
    The deadline should be around the end of February. Once it is available, apply then because you don't know how long your teacher reference will take.

And also, if you apply early to Brampton early then you get to do the interview earlier to get it out of the way. I applied to Brampton early and did the interview before the deadline for the applications.
    what questions to they ask at the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBMA)

Are they still doing a bursary scheme for all students or has it changed. The website has updated and it appears that not all students are given £200 every term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    This is exactly me
    I ended up choosing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths. Good luck with Physics, that's all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedhelp)
    what questions to they ask at the interview?
    I'm sorry for not replying earlier, but I'm sure the interview was fine for you. They only ask about what you put on the application and what you want to study in university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stormz1)
    Are they still doing a bursary scheme for all students or has it changed. The website has updated and it appears that not all students are given £200 every term.
    Thanks for telling me that, I have seen the changes on the website but they haven't told us that they would stop giving us a bursary. I got full bursary last week so I don't know if it's being taken away. Don't let that determine which sixth form to go to though, choose Brampton if you are willing to work. Be ready to handle the stress and homework. Just remember that this is only 2 years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for telling me that, I have seen the changes on the website but they haven't told us that they would stop giving us a bursary. I got full bursary last week so I don't know if it's being taken away. Don't let that determine which sixth form to go to though, choose Brampton if you are willing to work. Be ready to handle the stress and homework. Just remember that this is only 2 years of your life.
    I wouldn't go even f they made it £500 but the teachers / students were ... lets just say rude. The teaching looks alright but the grades are great. The money is a factor but definitely not a deciding one.

would be nice tho:daydreaming:

Few questions;

How strict are they on homework and are you made to mark yourself.

More generic question - hows the stress and your social life

ReputationRep:
    I ended up choosing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths. Good luck with Physics, that's all I can say.
    How hard is physics? I understand it'll be a major step up but on scale of 1-10 with 10 being near impossible and 1 being GCSE level

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go even f they made it £500 but the teachers / students were ... lets just say rude. The teaching looks alright but the grades are great. The money is a factor but definitely not a deciding one.

would be nice tho:daydreaming:

Few questions;

How strict are they on homework and are you made to mark yourself.

More generic question - hows the stress and your social life
    Brampton is strict on homework, some teachers more than others. You have to mark the homework yourself and tell them if you had any problems with it because teachers don't take your notes in sixth form because that would be 'disturbing your learning'.

Social life... well being in this school is quite stressful but you wouldn't want a chill school now would you? I don't really have much of a social life but that's not because of the school, I just like Youtube more than people. A lot of people do have a social life but they put having this 'social life' before their work.

ReputationRep:
    How hard is physics? I understand it'll be a major step up but on scale of 1-10 with 10 being near impossible and 1 being GCSE level
    I only got an A for physics GCSE and I was struggling from the first lesson, so be prepared. Go on youtube and watch the basic A level Physics Online videos, but don't use that for revision.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, im soon to join lae, can you give me your honest opinion about the school, how it runs, how you find it, hows a school day, when does it finish and other general stuff and tips please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0H4MM4D)
    I currently go to LAE (Year 12). If you have any particular questions about it you can ask me. What subjects are you hoping to study?
    Hey, I will be starting my time at LAE in a few days and I would like to know a few basics like what time does the school start and finish, how are the teachers and support, their opportunities and any other general things that would help, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am planning to go to Brampton I just want to ask what are the entry requirements for getting in with The new gcse courses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.