Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://goo.gl/S3bldn

3 i and ii

I have a vague idea of the first part, probably constructing some equation of a line with the info I'm given, I couldn't get it to work, perhaps I'm rusty with coordinate geometry.

ii is really weird for me though. I thought I could draw y=x and f(x) and show it staircase or cobweb to a, but f(x) is not in x=F(x) form so I can't do that. I've seen several of these types of questions where its something to do with tangents and convergence but I don't get them, I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If the initial approximation and the second, with their corresponding y value where to be sketched on a graph, the line connecting these two point is very close to the tangent of the curve.
    EDIT: whoops wrong chapter :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    https://goo.gl/S3bldn

3 i and ii

I have a vague idea of the first part, probably constructing some equation of a line with the info I'm given, I couldn't get it to work, perhaps I'm rusty with coordinate geometry.

ii is really weird for me though. I thought I could draw y=x and f(x) and show it staircase or cobweb to a, but f(x) is not in x=F(x) form so I can't do that. I've seen several of these types of questions where its something to do with tangents and convergence but I don't get them, I would like to know. Thanks in advance.
    16Characters....

ReputationRep:
    Part one involves replacing f(x+e) with its first degree Taylor expansion, which gives f(X) +f,(X)e is approximately 0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    If the initial approximation and the second, with their corresponding y value where to be sketched on a graph, the line connecting these two point is very close to the tangent of the curve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure I get what you mean.

Draw a tangent at (x2, f(x2) ) and it gets very close to a ?

That seems to make sense, but I don't know if that's what you meant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I get what you mean.

Draw a tangent at (x2, f(x2) ) and it gets very close to a ?

That seems to make sense, but I don't know if that's what you meant.
    Sorry I was thinking of the approximations and errors chapter, I'm not sure if this still applies to Newton-raphson, but yeah that's what I meant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, a bit busy so can't give a proper explanation, but reading through this and this might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Sorry, a bit busy so can't give a proper explanation, but reading through this and this might help.
    Thank you, was useful for my understanding however Taylor series aren't in the spec so I don't know how OCR would want me to answer.

https://goo.gl/YseIKK

Mark scheme just mumbles something about "attempt gradient"

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, was useful for my understanding however Taylor series aren't in the spec so I don't know how OCR would want me to answer.

I didn't want you to look at the taylor series part, scroll down a few pages and look at the "geometric derivation part" - that applies to both PDF's, there's a useful picture in the second link!

ReputationRep:

That would be for part (i), which is basically just the difference in y-values f(x_1) - 0 over the change in the x value x_2 - x_1, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want you to look at the taylor series part, scroll down a few pages and look at the "geometric derivation part" - that applies to both PDF's, there's a useful picture in the second link!
    Thank you! That's ii down.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That's ii down.
    Do you still need help with (i)?

ReputationRep:

I think I misread that actually, taylor series is how you establish the general formula, not how you use it as an iterative one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I misread that actually, taylor series is how you establish the general formula, not how you use it as an iterative one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The general formula is the iterative one, you derive them using the Taylor series.

ReputationRep:
    The general formula is the iterative one, you derive them using the Taylor series.
    Ugh, doesn't appear to be my day today, at least I got to nab some extra notes for fp2 so it's not all bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, doesn't appear to be my day today, at least I got to nab some extra notes for fp2 so it's not all bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know the feeling. Bright side looks good, Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I still am confused about i.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I still am confused about i.
    Okay, so you can see that the tangent on the diagram. Find it's gradient. You know two of the points on the tangent,

(x_1, f(x_1)) and (x_2, 0). This means your gradient is: \displaystyle \frac{0 - f(x_1)}{x_2 - x_1}.

You with me so far?

But the gradient of the tangent at x_1 is the derivative of the curve evaluated at x_1, no? You with me?

So: \frac{-f(x_1)}{x_2 - x_1} = f'(x_1) You cool with me here?

Now re-arrange.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so you can see that the tangent on the diagram. Find it's gradient. You know two of the points on the tangent,

(x_1, f(x_1)) and (x_2, 0). This means your gradient is: \displaystyle \frac{0 - f(x_1)}{x_2 - x_1}.

You with me so far?

But the gradient of the tangent at x_1 is the derivative of the curve evaluated at x_1, no? You with me?

So: \frac{-f(x_1)}{x_2 - x_1} = f'(x_1) You cool with me here?

Now re-arrange.
    Once again thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Once again thank you very much.
    No problemo!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.