Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bsbnah)
    i haven't touched social policies, just hoping the views and attainment questions are good.. possibly on gender mainly or ethnicity & maybe marxist views

does vocational education fall in line with social policies? because i have done that..
    Yes it does. I'm not planning on doing social policy but it's good to learn vocational education as it may link in to the question

ReputationRep:
    if age doesn't come up tomorrow, I'm going to cry in the exam room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gal cool)
    Yes it does. I'm not planning on doing social policy but it's good to learn vocational education as it may link in to the question
    Yh i've done everything apart from class, interactionalism & social policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakriah)
    In 2015 paper, the questions were just modified versions of 2 questions from june 2012 and 1 from jan 2012. Im thinking that for 2016 they would do 2 questions from jan 2012 and 1 from june 2012 which would be OS, Victimization and subcultural
    I was just wondering if there would be a possibility of getting 2 questions on measurements of crime and deviance. Like 2 questions on unit one seems a bit weird like OCS and victimisation surveys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IIAzimII)
    I was just wondering if there would be a possibility of getting 2 questions on measurements of crime and deviance. Like 2 questions on unit one seems a bit weird like OCS and victimisation surveys.
    Victim surveys comes under patterns of victimization which is a different topic

ReputationRep:
    Victim surveys comes under patterns of victimization which is a different topic
    LOL literally worked that out a day before my exam. I think a question along the lines of "outline and assess the different ways for me not to get into university" (50 marks) is likely to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IIAzimII)
    LOL literally worked that out a day before my exam. I think a question along the lines of "outline and assess the different ways for me not to get into university" (50 marks) is likely to come up.
    I saw that on twitter

ReputationRep:
    I saw that on twitter
    well done!

ReputationRep:
    Three Questions I really need answering asap (Crime and Deviance) (please, thank you so much!]

1) What theoretical perspectives (eg. functionalism) are related to these subcultural theories:
    -Cohen - status frustration
    -Merton - strain theory
    -Matza -subterranean values
    -Miller - working class boys key focal concerns
    -Ohlin - illegitimate opportunity structure
    -Winlow and Hall - Night time violence and Pitts - hyper-masculine gangs

2) Is Neo-Marxism the same as left realism, if not, what is the difference theories wise?

3) Can you just talk about left/ realist explanations if it asks for outline and assess solution policies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    Three Questions I really need answering asap (Crime and Deviance) (please, thank you so much!]

1) What theoretical perspectives (eg. functionalism) are related to these subcultural theories:
    -Cohen - status frustration
    -Merton - strain theory
    -Matza -subterranean values
    -Miller - working class boys key focal concerns
    -Ohlin - illegitimate opportunity structure
    -Winlow and Hall - Night time violence and Pitts - hyper-masculine gangs

2) Is Neo-Marxism the same as left realism, if not, what is the difference theories wise?

3) Can you just talk about left/ realist explanations if it asks for outline and assess solution policies?
    1) Cohen Functionalist, Merton Functionalsit, Matza Interactionist, Miller New Right, Ohlin Functionalist, Hall Neo-Marxist, rest idk

2)Neo marxism is a fusion of marxism and interactionism

3) yes but you need to include laws and crime prevention etc

ReputationRep:
    hatttttteeeee sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bsbnah)
    Yh i've done everything apart from class, interactionalism & social policies
    I've revised class just in case and interactionalist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gal cool)
    I've revised class just in case and interactionalist
    What are the chances of them coming? They've never repeated a question the following year have they?

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in taking a gamble u won't lose anything by learning the other topics too

ReputationRep:
    What type of questions would appear in relation to age?

For an example answer relating to age is this acceptable??

Outline and assess sociological explanations of age and crime and deviance

1) Eisenstadt - Transitory phase - tension outlet from anomie - lack of role - learning of the role - turn to crime to take out tension
    CRIT- Postmodern approach - Katz - simply doing it for the thrills - no tension, desire for excitement - individualistic - CRIT -katz -> male stream - ignores females

2) Cohen - Status Frustration - Working class youth - frustrated with their status in society - educational achievement 70 m.c compared to 30% - can't gain success academical so turn to crime - american dream principle ... eg. Drug dealing

CRIT - Not everyone who is frustrated with their status turns to crime .... Assumes that in order for their to be a deviant subculture, there must be mainstream norms and values - postmodernist would differ - pick and mix values - polhemus

3) Right realist approach - Miller - focal concerns - young youth males feel the need to emphasise their superiority through violence - Canaan - male identity of: Drinking, sexual conquest and Violence - 50% violent crimes are alcohol related
    CRIT - Focal concerns - Functionalist - Hirschi - social control - beliefs/morality - unlikely to turn to crime and deviance with just peer pressure as such ALSO Canaan CRIT Gilmore - protector role - unlikely to turn to crime .... BUT (Messerschmidt is like lol no they do)

4) Radical Criminology - Sewell - triple quandary of black youth - Media Rep, Fatherless figures, racism - All lead to crime to reestablish status and masculine role - BUT - Malestream yet again, stereotype of fatherless figure - empirical evidence?? - BUT - Racism is evident in society .. Ben and Simon - higher chance of getting stopped and search - Notice Brixton - 1000 stop and searchers a day - led to riots

5) Other alternatives - Youths dont commit crime, Marxists: Upper class do - chambliss, snider - reluctant to pass laws which regulate big business concerns and chambliss - Greed..supported by Gross = Bourgeoisie/corporate criminals all have ambitious and greedy personality traits. BUT - Ignores the victims of W.C, economic reductionism - W.C commit crime simply because . Left realist - Relative Deprivation.

6) Other alternatives - elderly commit political crime - Bourdieu BUT - Geest - disengagement (meh maybe a point)

7) Other alternatives - Clarke - crime is committed out of rationality - Felson - benefits of crime outweigh risks - no relation to youth..BUT - Youth have less social bonds - Functionalism ALSO Crime not rational - Hate crime, murder?? POST MOD- Henry - simply to boost self-esteem by harming others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    What type of questions would appear in relation to age?

For an example answer relating to age is this acceptable??

Outline and assess sociological explanations of age and crime and deviance

1) Eisenstadt - Transitory phase - tension outlet from anomie - lack of role - learning of the role - turn to crime to take out tension
    CRIT- Postmodern approach - Katz - simply doing it for the thrills - no tension, desire for excitement - individualistic - CRIT -katz -> male stream - ignores females

2) Cohen - Status Frustration - Working class youth - frustrated with their status in society - educational achievement 70 m.c compared to 30% - can't gain success academical so turn to crime - american dream principle ... eg. Drug dealing

CRIT - Not everyone who is frustrated with their status turns to crime .... Assumes that in order for their to be a deviant subculture, there must be mainstream norms and values - postmodernist would differ - pick and mix values - polhemus

3) Right realist approach - Miller - focal concerns - young youth males feel the need to emphasise their superiority through violence - Canaan - male identity of: Drinking, sexual conquest and Violence - 50% violent crimes are alcohol related
    CRIT - Focal concerns - Functionalist - Hirschi - social control - beliefs/morality - unlikely to turn to crime and deviance with just peer pressure as such ALSO Canaan CRIT Gilmore - protector role - unlikely to turn to crime .... BUT (Messerschmidt is like lol no they do)

4) Radical Criminology - Sewell - triple quandary of black youth - Media Rep, Fatherless figures, racism - All lead to crime to reestablish status and masculine role - BUT - Malestream yet again, stereotype of fatherless figure - empirical evidence?? - BUT - Racism is evident in society .. Ben and Simon - higher chance of getting stopped and search - Notice Brixton - 1000 stop and searchers a day - led to riots

5) Other alternatives - Youths dont commit crime, Marxists: Upper class do - chambliss, snider - reluctant to pass laws which regulate big business concerns and chambliss - Greed..supported by Gross = Bourgeoisie/corporate criminals all have ambitious and greedy personality traits. BUT - Ignores the victims of W.C, economic reductionism - W.C commit crime simply because . Left realist - Relative Deprivation.

6) Other alternatives - elderly commit political crime - Bourdieu BUT - Geest - disengagement (meh maybe a point)

7) Other alternatives - Clarke - crime is committed out of rationality - Felson - benefits of crime outweigh risks - no relation to youth..BUT - Youth have less social bonds - Functionalism ALSO Crime not rational - Hate crime, murder?? POST MOD- Henry - simply to boost self-esteem by harming others
    Sorry I can't help u coz I'm doing education

ReputationRep:
    Does any one have a last minute essay plan for policies for the solution of crime? I feel like i've neglected it and it has a chance of coming up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by absentislands)
    Does any one have a last minute essay plan for policies for the solution of crime? I feel like i've neglected it and it has a chance of coming up
    same I have no clue, I'm just going to use these examples:

Brixton Riots
    Stop and Search
    Home Start Schemes
    Neighbourhood Watch
    in general a shift to rehabilitation policies
    Reintegrative shaming policy idk
    Zero tolerance policy/ Tolerance policy
    Target Hardening, CCTV etc.?

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the exam??

ReputationRep:
    I did option 1 and 2, and option 1 I liked, option 2 was a bit iffy because of the wording but it was good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.