Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the end of year 13, I should have 3 a levels in philosophy, psychology and history.

I don't know whether I can get into a university that would accept me in a psyhology course with these qualifications as they do seem slightly awkward (although I know that some psychology students have took history a levels before).

I just want to know whether these a levels would put me on a disadvantage or if they're fine. Also a recommendation on which universities would let me in with these subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennim)
    At the end of year 13, I should have 3 a levels in philosophy, psychology and history.

I don't know whether I can get into a university that would accept me in a psyhology course with these qualifications as they do seem slightly awkward (although I know that some psychology students have took history a levels before).

I just want to know whether these a levels would put me on a disadvantage or if they're fine. Also a recommendation on which universities would let me in with these subjects.
    Some universities want at least two science A-levels- you will only have one. Most would be fine with two sciences and history, for example. Your university choice will be a limited by this and many universities will still "prefer" applicants with two or more science A-levels.

Psychology is quite a popular subject, so if you are a less competitive applicant, you will need to target your application carefully.

I've had a quick look, and both York and Leeds would consider you with just the Psychology A-level, but it's likely that applicants with two science subjects will be preferred. Cardiff is another that I think would consider you, but you would get a lower offer if you did have two sciences.

ReputationRep:

If you want you can apply to a couple of the Scottish universities as they offer an MA course for Psychology, and these are more likely to favour humanities and social sciences

Like for example Edinburgh's MA course only requires one of Psychology, Maths or an approved science and you've got psychology so that would be enough for them to accept you (edinburgh is the only one I've see that ask for an approved science). Places like St Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen don't even have any required subjects all have a pretty great reputation for psychology

ReputationRep:

Have a look at the universities that you're interested in going to and whose UCAS points/grade requirements are in the rough area you expect to achieve. Then take a look at their subject requirements and see if you're in luck, or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.