Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

Please could you help me out with this query,

I'm thinking of deferring an accepted offer to a course, but wondering what the consequences of that 1 year deferral until September 2017 would be on my Student Loan situation.

Should I still apply to for student financial support now and ask for it to be deferred afterwards,

OR

Should I just sort all the online applications for student finance next year, so sign up on line next year in January 2017 for example.

Many thanks,
    Kind regards,
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by topicoa)
    Hi ,

Please could you help me out with this query,

I'm thinking of deferring an accepted offer to a course, but wondering what the consequences of that 1 year deferral until September 2017 would be on my Student Loan situation.

Should I still apply to for student financial support now and ask for it to be deferred afterwards,

OR

Should I just sort all the online applications for student finance next year, so sign up on line next year in January 2017 for example.

Many thanks,
    Kind regards,
    You can't defer a student loan application - if you are 100% deferring to 2017 entry then you don't need to apply this year.

If there is even the slightest chance you might decide to attend university this autumn then you are best off applying ASAP.

If you defer at the last minute it has zero impact on your student loan application (your student loan wont pay a penny until your university confirms that you've turned up in person....if you don't turn up nothing gets paid so there's no hassle involved at all). If you decide to attend this year and haven't applied for funding however then your first payments could be delayed (I know of at least one student who applied for finance in August when their results came out and didn't get their first payments until March of their first year at university - luckily their university was helpful in delaying accommodation charges for them and their parents could give them some money to live on but it was far from ideal).

In other words: applying for 2016 and deciding not to go til 2017....no problem, deciding to go to university in 2016 without applying by the deadlines...big problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You can't defer a student loan application - if you are 100% deferring to 2017 entry then you don't need to apply this year.

If there is even the slightest chance you might decide to attend university this autumn then you are best off applying ASAP.

If you defer at the last minute it has zero impact on your student loan application (your student loan wont pay a penny until your university confirms that you've turned up in person....if you don't turn up nothing gets paid so there's no hassle involved at all). If you decide to attend this year and haven't applied for funding however then your first payments could be delayed (I know of at least one student who applied for finance in August when their results came out and didn't get their first payments until March of their first year at university - luckily their university was helpful in delaying accommodation charges for them and their parents could give them some money to live on but it was far from ideal).

In other words: applying for 2016 and deciding not to go til 2017....no problem, deciding to go to university in 2016 without applying by the deadlines...big problems.
    Thank you, Cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.