Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield Hallam is my first choice only been there once. Just wanted to know what the city is like. Is it safe near uni campuses and the diversity?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bolt15)
    Sheffield Hallam is my first choice only been there once. Just wanted to know what the city is like. Is it safe near uni campuses and the diversity?
    Hey Bolt15,

I studied at Sheffield Hallam and it's a really great student city. 1 in 10 people in the city are students, so everything is aimed towards you - from the pubs and clubs to the restaurants, cafes, shopping hotspots and pretty much everything in between. Everything is in walking distance to the campus, train station and accommodation too so you'll never need to go very far to find everything you need.

Loads of students always say Sheffield is really safe. It's obviously an idea to keep your wits about you no matter where you are in the country, but it's one of the safest cities to be in and I always feel comfortable here any time of the day.

I came from Newcastle, which is quite a big city, and fell in love with Sheffield. It's still big (the fifth biggest in the country) but has a lovely friendly feel to it. You always bump into people you know, everyone knows everyone, and it's a very supportive place.

We're really big on our music in Sheffield and there's around 70 gig venues, ranging from 02 Academy and other gig giants to small basement venues and old converted cinemas and ballrooms. We have loads of festivals in Sheffield too including Tramlines, our huge inner-city music festival which comes to us every July for a weekend of partying. It attracts 100,000 people so it's a pretty big deal.

If you're into sport, we've got loads of facilities. We've got two gyms, lots of facilities for climbing, swimming, loads of sports teams, running clubs, cycling clubs. The Peak District is 20 minutes away for all your outdoor activity. We've got 200 parks and green spaces.

It's a pretty cool place. I'm still here six years later and finding there's still loads to get involved with. Food markets, pottery workshops, loads of gigs, sporting events... you'll have to make sure you fit in time for some uni work!

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask us

Thanks,
    Laura
    (Official Hallam rep)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.