Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if tried looking for some help on this but seriously, i cannot. When I get to my speaking I would have been feeling sick for the last 2 or so days before the exam, when I get to the PRACTICE speaking (not even the real GCSE) I will speak extremelly fast skipping words and sentences and any time I try to pause I will get completely stuck and not be able to continue, failing the exam (I'm spanish and I panicked so bad before my spanish speaking it's unimaginable) well, in this case it's french, and well... My experience of asking the teachers for help is quite literally "too bad too sorry, you'll have to practice more" but meerly thinking of a practice speaking will make me panic, specially because it's not just the teacher and the fact i'm being recorded, i'm in the middle of the class and everything will be so... Silent. I feel like everyone is judging me, my heart will beat like a truck, i'll speak faster than light, i'll sweat, get extremelly hot and the situation will be so uncomfortable. I have asked the teacher to let me do the speaking in private, but she'll decline no matter what. So I need urgent help, please, any advice will help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgnesObligue)
    !
    Have you tried speaking to your pastoral staff or a more sympathetic teacher? I suffered from anxiety during high school and I had 1 to 1 sessions with an english teacher who would practice with me in private for my german oral test. She would say the lines then I would repeat them back to her. We kept doing that until eventually I could do it alone. I then was allowed to do the test in a room alone with my teacher. If none of this is possible then practice alone first, then with someone you trust, then when in the exam just look at your teacher and concentrate on them rather than your classmates. Use breathing exercises to relax.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Have you tried speaking to your pastoral staff or a more sympathetic teacher? I suffered from anxiety during high school and I had 1 to 1 sessions with an english teacher who would practice with me in private for my german oral test. She would say the lines then I would repeat them back to her. We kept doing that until eventually I could do it alone. I then was allowed to do the test in a room alone with my teacher. If none of this is possible then practice alone first, then with someone you trust, then when in the exam just look at your teacher and concentrate on them rather than your classmates. Use breathing exercises to relax.
    OP did the exact same thing for GCSE orals, went and practised with the teacher once a week until i felt at ease enough to do it for the real oral. She also wrote on my papers that i had issues with speaking clearly and it all worked out fine in the end so try not to worry x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Thanks, I don't really think there's any teacher I can practice with, however, you opened my mind to the fact that they don't nesesarilly need to know french, i guess that the only other thing would be getting to do the exam away from the class.

I'm new to TSR, didn't expect an answer so quickly, i feel better knowing i'm not the only one, so thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    OP did the exact same thing for GCSE orals, went and practised with the teacher once a week until i felt at ease enough to do it for the real oral. She also wrote on my papers that i had issues with speaking clearly and it all worked out fine in the end so try not to worry x
    You guys seem to have really nice teachers 😅
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    You guys seem to have really nice teachers 😅
    yeah she was good tbf to her, i mean she handled the whole thing badly but she did it with my best intentions and well i got the grade i wanted so i am grateful to her

goodluck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    To be honest, if tried looking for some help on this but seriously, i cannot. When I get to my speaking I would have been feeling sick for the last 2 or so days before the exam, when I get to the PRACTICE speaking (not even the real GCSE) I will speak extremelly fast skipping words and sentences and any time I try to pause I will get completely stuck and not be able to continue, failing the exam (I'm spanish and I panicked so bad before my spanish speaking it's unimaginable) well, in this case it's french, and well... My experience of asking the teachers for help is quite literally "too bad too sorry, you'll have to practice more" but meerly thinking of a practice speaking will make me panic, specially because it's not just the teacher and the fact i'm being recorded, i'm in the middle of the class and everything will be so... Silent. I feel like everyone is judging me, my heart will beat like a truck, i'll speak faster than light, i'll sweat, get extremelly hot and the situation will be so uncomfortable. I have asked the teacher to let me do the speaking in private, but she'll decline no matter what. So I need urgent help, please, any advice will help!
    I had a lot of anxiety when I was doing my speaking exams and we were given private slots to do them in... it's no wonder you're feeling anxious if you're being asked to do it in the middle of class. Are there no other teachers you can talk to about this? I'm very sorry that your French teacher is being unreasonable (completely unreasonable in my opinion, particularly since she's the one who's going to get flak if people's grades drop because of the pressure she's putting on people) but if you managed to get a teacher you trust to have a word with her about this and to explain your anxiety, maybe that might be more helpful?

ReputationRep:
    I'm into A level Spanish and we obviously have speaking exams too and I panic like hell... Shouldn't your exams (even mocks) be in a private room? Why would you be made to do it in front of the whole class? That sounds horrible...

Anyway I have bad bad anxiety so I went to my doc and asked him for beta blockers. They basically stop all symptoms of anxiety (heart beating fast, loss of breath) which can calm your mind too once you see you're not getting any physical signs of anxiety. It worked incredibly well for me. I don't want to force you on meds especially since you're so young but if you really can't cope then this can be like your last resort.

Good luck anyway and I hope you come up with a solution

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.