Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm going to be studying at Durham for 4 years as an International Student, I have family savings to pay 3 years of the tuition and accommodation, but it's very expensive... Is it posible to as for a student loan to pay the last year of study and accommodation? and if it is.. how? when do i apply and where? I'm an UK national, but I haven't lived in the UK for many years so I'm being counted as international for now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    International students aren't entitled to a student loan for accommodation or tuition, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patongirl)
    Hey! I'm going to be studying at Durham for 4 years as an International Student, I have family savings to pay 3 years of the tuition and accommodation, but it's very expensive... Is it posible to as for a student loan to pay the last year of study and accommodation? and if it is.. how? when do i apply and where? I'm an UK national, but I haven't lived in the UK for many years so I'm being counted as international for now.
    You mention that you are a UK national so do you have a UK or European passport? If so then you should be be classed as a home student and not be paying international student fees. You need to let the University know.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by poem09)
    You mention that you are a UK national so do you have a UK or European passport? If so then you should be be classed as a home student and not be paying international student fees. You need to let the University know.
    No. Fee status is based on residency not nationality. If OP lives outside UK/EU they are classed as International.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...gher-Education

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poem09)
    Yes! I know, but I haven't been living in the UK so I'm not a resident, so I do pay international fees...

Could I ask for a loan to pay the last year only? (I'll be a resident on my 4th year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No. Fee status is based on residency not nationality. If OP lives outside UK/EU they are classed as International.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...gher-Education

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. When I get to be a resident in 3 years, would I be able to ask for a loan to pay my UK tuition for the last year only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    International students aren't entitled to a student loan for accommodation or tuition, I'm afraid.
    I'm a UK passport holder, but I haven't been in the UK the past years.

I'll be a resident in 3 years, so could I ask for a loan just to cover my last years of studies as a UK resident?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Will you have been a UK resident for the previous 3 years? Not just during term time, but your home would need to be UK.
    I know, I'll be living in the UK for my degree..So the question is more, can you get loans just for the last year of a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patongirl)
    I know, I'll be living in the UK for my degree..So the question is more, can you get loans just for the last year of a degree?
    Your eligibility is based solely on your residency status at the start of your course. This will not change. If you started your course classed as an International student, that will be your status for the duration of your course, regardless of its length.

In addition, years when you were living in the UK solely for the purpose of education, do not count as being resident for Student Finance purposes.

You are not entitled to any Student Finance.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Your eligibility is based solely on your residency status at the start of your course. This will not change. If you started your course classed as an International student, that will be your status for the duration of your course, regardless of its length.

In addition, years when you were living in the UK solely for the purpose of education, do not count as being resident for Student Finance purposes.

You are not entitled to any Student Finance.
    Thanks for clarifying
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Kilx has it spot on. It's always you have to live in the UK for at least 3 years prior to starting your course, for reasons other than education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.