Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have an offer for computing at Bournemouth?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations lkelly25!

I'm Chris and I am a second year ambassador for BU. You should check out the Facebook pages and the other threads on this forum too there will be plenty of people looking to meet coursemates soon

Let me know if you had any questions about the course or life at BU in general!

Thanks - Chris

ReputationRep:
    Hi IKelly25,

I'm a first year studying Computing, if you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    Hey !

I got unconditional from Computing.
    As you are currently a student of this program, do you mind giving me a glimpse of what is it like for a first year to study this subject ?

As I am coming from other country I will need to somehow get an part-time job and study at the same time, which sounds pretty daunting for me.
    Can you tell me about the modules you study, cons & pros of uni overall ?

Thanks a bunch!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Geltonas,

Congratulations on your offer BU!

The Computing framework is very technical and practical in the first year; providing foundation knowledge for the second year. Requires the hands on approach, you only write one essay in the first year which is in the Business & Professional issues module; all the rest of the modules are practical orientated. You're given one or two lectures a week on each module which the lecturers teach you different topics and you have seminars to reiterate what you have learnt but you're also expected to learn/read outside of the lectures to gain a better understanding. More independent study compared some Universities but this will help in the second and final year.

I do not currently have a job but my friends from University do and they have found a balance in which they can work, study and still go out to do things. As long as you're motivated to do the work for University, you should have no problem!

In the first year, you study a range of technical and business orientated units; Business & Professional Issues, Relational Databases, Programming, System Analysis and Design, User-centred web development and Computers & networks.

Brief overview of each module:

Business and Professional Issues - Improve your knowledge of the industry and providing moral and ethical reasons on different events that had occurred.

Relational Databases - Learn about relational databases (Just to give you a taste of some sub topics: Conceptual and Logical ERDs, Transactions, ACID, Recovery, Index Blocks). Also learning Oracle SQL and able to create a database, insert data and create queries.

Programming - You use Java programming language to create an application for your first year project. They teach you from the beginning with a sub few topics including; collections, objects and classes, Inheritance and methods.

System Analysis and Design - Model business systems using different techniques such as data flow modelling, elicitation and scrum. They teach you about agile which is used within the industry and not often taught at many universities. There is 2 day business event and a week SAD event; you must interview staff, understand their business process and create DFDs for each department and finally present it with your suggested improvements. These events given a simulation to how it would work in the industry.

User-Centred Web Development - You learn about design principles, usability, and multimedia. Very basic HTML,CSS and JavaScript is taught but you don't actually develop websites in the first year (you will in the second year).

Computers & Networks - Learn about architecture of computers, operating systems and peripherals. A few topics included in the Computers side are: logic gates, truth tables and an assembly language. In the networks, you learn about the different protocols, how to create and design a network, you get to use the servers in the labs as well.

Pros about BU
    - Modern campus
    - Up to date with the latest industry updates/news
    - Up to date equipment
    - Support from different staff at BU to help solve any issues you have.
    - They're own Buses to get to and from university
    - Fantastic lecturers imo, if you don't understand what has been taught in the lecture, you're able to arrange an appointment and get extra support from them or they can explain some things again.
    - A lot of societies to join so can connect with other people outside your course

Cons about BU
    - Quite expensive accommodation
    - Expensive food/drink on campus
    - SUBU building space is not maximised and you often can't find a seat.
    - Some courses are not that well taught (Computing is though).

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, wow. Thanks a lot for such an lengthy answer !
    Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the job, and if I will get scholarship then it should be perfect.

I'll google these sub topics you have wrote to get the feeling what would be taught in the first year.

Have you yourself did some pre-learning before coming to uni and what could you suggest to learn for me before-hand ?
    Since I am in a gap year now, and have some extra time.

Great to hear that lectures are fantastic, since one of the main factor for me is quality of teaching.

Thanks again !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geltonas)
    Oh, wow. Thanks a lot for such an lengthy answer !
    Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the job, and if I will get scholarship then it should be perfect.

I'll google these sub topics you have wrote to get the feeling what would be taught in the first year.

Have you yourself did some pre-learning before coming to uni and what could you suggest to learn for me before-hand ?
    Since I am in a gap year now, and have some extra time.

Great to hear that lectures are fantastic, since one of the main factor for me is quality of teaching.

Thanks again !
    The scholarship is extremely helpful, it's paid in 9 installments which is about £169 per month; this helps with my shopping, going out to do things and other expenses! So if you get that, this will help a lot.

They ask you to do some induction learning activities but not many people did them and it didn't really help in my opinion. I suggest looking at Oracle SQL, HTML/CSS/JavaScript and Java. Learning the basics of these will help a lot, something I did not do but don't worry if you don't learn a lot or understand it completely, they will teach you from the beginning!

I recommend looking at:

User-Centred Web Development
    W3Schools.com for HTML, CSS and JavaScript

Programming
    New Boston on YouTube for Java (Teaches a lot of other programming languages/Operating Systems).

Relational Databases
    Not sure about Oracle SQL (SQL syntax should be the same, so learn about joins, queries, how to create/delete tables and how to insert data).

Business & Professional Issues
    Presentation/Essay tips could be useful for the Business & Professional Issues

System Analysis & Design
    Again not sure about this module, text books could be quite useful.

Computers & Networks
    Convert binary, hexadecimal and decimal.
    OSI Model - the different layers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunno203)
    The scholarship is extremely helpful, it's paid in 9 installments which is about £169 per month; this helps with my shopping, going out to do things and other expenses! So if you get that, this will help a lot.

They ask you to do some induction learning activities but not many people did them and it didn't really help in my opinion. I suggest looking at Oracle SQL, HTML/CSS/JavaScript and Java. Learning the basics of these will help a lot, something I did not do but don't worry if you don't learn a lot or understand it completely, they will teach you from the beginning!

I recommend looking at:

User-Centred Web Development
    W3Schools.com for HTML, CSS and JavaScript

Programming
    New Boston on YouTube for Java (Teaches a lot of other programming languages/Operating Systems).

Relational Databases
    Not sure about Oracle SQL (SQL syntax should be the same, so learn about joins, queries, how to create/delete tables and how to insert data).

Business & Professional Issues
    Presentation/Essay tips could be useful for the Business & Professional Issues

System Analysis & Design
    Again not sure about this module, text books could be quite useful.

Computers & Networks
    Convert binary, hexadecimal and decimal.
    OSI Model - the different layers

I have just received an answer from university, that I fulfill the conditions for the scholarship, which as you said will be extremely helpful.

And thanks for taking time to write this, that is exactly what I needed. I will be at ease now, that I know what to start learning before-hand.

Cheers !

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I have an offer for the Msc in Applied Data Analytics. Don't suppose anyone here has much knowledge of the course or has perhaps been on it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I have my offer for Computer Networks at Bournemouth! Yay! I still haven't managed to take a peek at Bournemouth (applicant days ect) I have been keeping up with the Webinars and everything else apart from going there, hopefully going this weekend to have a gander around Bournemouth and the Uni (if they let you at the weekends? *gulp*) Anyone else doing Computer Networks?

*waves*

Charlie

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I got an unconditional at bournemouth so I will be attending this year too!
    Thanks for the info dunno, helpful

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Maybe I'll see you in September then! You have all of your student finance / accommodation sorted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disguiseddeamon)
    Awesome! Maybe I'll see you in September then! You have all of your student finance / accommodation sorted?
    Yeah and yeah man! , student finance yes but not accommodation yet as I only recently mad Bournemouth my confirmed choice so I will do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disguiseddeamon)
    Hey Guys,

I have my offer for Computer Networks at Bournemouth! Yay! I still haven't managed to take a peek at Bournemouth (applicant days ect) I have been keeping up with the Webinars and everything else apart from going there, hopefully going this weekend to have a gander around Bournemouth and the Uni (if they let you at the weekends? *gulp*) Anyone else doing Computer Networks?

*waves*

Charlie
    Hi Charlie!

My name is Patricia and I'm a current BU student and also an Ambassador for the uni on The StudentRoom!

Congratulations on your offer!!! It's also a great idea to come and have a look at the uni. You can do a self-guided tour of Talbot Campus (this is where you will be based). More information regarding this can be found >here<

You can have a gander round the Lansdowne campus, this is where most of the accommodation is based. Information on that can also be found on the link

Apart from that, if you have any other questions about BU or the area, feel free to ask!

Good Luck!
    Patricia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Josh)
    Hi Guys,

I have an offer for the Msc in Applied Data Analytics. Don't suppose anyone here has much knowledge of the course or has perhaps been on it?
    I'm looking into doing this MSc, so any knowledge would also be useful for me. Especially timetabling or general overviews!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.