Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

He might potentially have cancer.. </3 I'm scared for him :( watch

I was speaking to my best friend who's been with me right throughout primary + secondary + 6th form college about life etc such as being each others best man when we get married to our future missus etc. We normally train quite frequently together in the gym for the last year and a bit. He suddenly stopped coming for about a month, which I asked him what's up? He replied 5 days ago saying its a health condition and he has to take time off. :sad:

He messaged me on whatsapp today saying he went and gave a blood last Wednesday and could potentially have cancer. I asked him if he noticed anything and he said 3 weeks ago he noticed a lump was on his lower body. He hasn't told his family and just told me today and not to tell anyone. Shouldn't his family have a right to know or should I respect his privacy? :dontknow:

I told him not to worry and everything will turn out perfectly fine :jumphug: as you're probably just over thinking things. However, I'm deep down just worried and panicking for him because we see each other as blood brothers. :afraid: We're really close always talking to each other daily etc. I don't have any real close friend as him. :cry2:

I don't know what to do. I told him I'll go with him to collect his results but he hasn't replied? What is the right step to go about it and how can I help him? I'm hoping things don't turn out for the worst. Any advice would be appreciated! :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was speaking to my best friend who's been with me right throughout primary + secondary + 6th form college about life etc such as being each others best man when we get married to our future missus etc. We normally train quite frequently together in the gym for the last year and a bit. He suddenly stopped coming for about a month, which I asked him what's up? He replied 5 days ago saying its a health condition and he has to take time off. :sad:

He messaged me on whatsapp today saying he went and gave a blood last Wednesday and could potentially have cancer. I asked him if he noticed anything and he said 3 weeks ago he noticed a lump was on his lower body. He hasn't told his family and just told me today and not to tell anyone. Shouldn't his family have a right to know or should I respect his privacy? :dontknow:

I told him not to worry and everything will turn out perfectly fine :jumphug: as you're probably just over thinking things. However, I'm deep down just worried and panicking for him because we see each other as blood brothers. :afraid: We're really close always talking to each other daily etc. I don't have any real close friend as him. :cry2:

I don't know what to do. I told him I'll go with him to collect his results but he hasn't replied? What is the right step to go about it and how can I help him? I'm hoping things don't turn out for the worst. Any advice would be appreciated! :cry:
    You shouldn't tell his family, they should know but it is his business and itis entirely up to him if he wants to tell them or not, if you do say anything you could push him away if you don't respect his privacy and he clearly needs support right now. You are being a really good friend by caring and offering him help but worrying yourself isn't going to help anyone, I'd say for now just wait and see if he replies, if he takes more than a day, message him again reiterating the offer and giving him messages of support, as difficult as this situation is, all you can really do is be a good friend but with things like these, it does count for a lot. Good luck to you and your friend op
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

OP,

This is a difficult thing for you and your friend to be going through. First off, let me say I'm truly sorry to hear about this. You've done the right thing up to now, being supportive and letting him know you're there for him is the the best thing you can do. I would advise that you respect his privacy in terms of him not yet telling his parents. When the time comes, I'm sure he'll tell them. Remember, it's "potentially could have cancer", he's not sure yet. He wants to keep it to himself and that's understandable.

It's amazing that he's got such a great friend to talk to and you should make it known that you're there and that you want to help. But try not to bombard him, it's tricky news to process and people handle shocking news very differently. All you can do is what you have done :hugs:

If you need to talk at all, I'm always here to PM :hugs:

All the best

I had a similar scare when I found a lump in my breasts. I didn't tell anyone but just made an appointment and had a doctor check it out and then I went back for a follow up check up. I didn't tell anyone out of embarrassment but also because it'd become a problem for someone else which I'd have to deal with.

There is no point worrying now, it's best to try to carry on as normal. Worrying about it won't change anything. I know it is hard as I spent three weeks wondering if I had cancer but distraction is the best policy (and if they are ill then that additional stress won't help them out). Why don't you ask your friend to the cinema to take his mind of things or something? You sound like a good friend so just let your friend know you are there for the sad times but encourage him to go to the doctors.

ReputationRep:

Im calling BS on this one, no cancer is diagnosed through a blood test.

(Original post by Legit)
    You can for testicular. They look at your white blood count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legit)
    OP stated they are going for an initial blood test - blood tests can be used to 'see' what is going on inside of the body. They can look for signs of cancer using blood tests, yes.

OP never said it was the absolute final step in the diagnosis period, they're just testing.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I understand this must be a difficult time for you, and I really hope you and your friend are okay. If it helps at all, waiting a week for results is a fairly long time, and the longer the time period of waiting the better (when my blood results have been positive, I've been notified within 3-4 days of giving it).

You shouldn't tell your friend's family - it's their private life and they should tell them alone when they want to. Honestly, try not to worry too much, or be too upset, until the results come.

Big hugs until then and hope the results do come back all clear :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.