Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey im exactly 5ft and i weigh 9.6st. I need to lose weight. I have tried many times although nothing has worked for me. Can someone give me some help and tell me an idea that has actually worked to help you lose weight and also please say how much weight you have lost and how long it took. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What have you already tried? My fitness pals and so does doing small things like walking a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_diamond)
    Hey im exactly 5ft and i weigh 9.6st. I need to lose weight. I have tried many times although nothing has worked for me. Can someone give me some help and tell me an idea that has actually worked to help you lose weight and also please say how much weight you have lost and how long it took. Thanks.
    I lost 2.5 stone by:

a) eating less - it does seem obvious but beware hidden calories - nuts and fruit are very high in calories.

b) no carbs after 6 pm. Carbs are converted to energy and if you don't use them - i.e. you go to bed and sleep, then they are converted to fat.

c) I took up running - started with a couple of miles and gradually increased to a half marathon. You don't need to do that much, but daily exercise for half an hour .

The weight will drop off - honestly.

Also keep a food diary and see where your downfalls are - be very honest with yourself

ReputationRep:
    Just don't eat junk food.

Avoid sweets and energy drinks.

Drink loads of water, aim for 2l a day

Try and eat at least 1 portion of fruit

Exercise in your spare time. Like if you're playing computer games, take a brake every 30-60 mins and just get your self out of breath some how.

Always go for the healthier option.

Have breakfast everyday.

Finally, only eat till you are no longer hungry, not until you are full.

By doing this I managed to lose about 2.5st over about half a year. It was pretty tough to start with. But I eventually got used to it and I am now a far healthier weight than I was before.

Hope this helps :^)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I lost 2.5 stone by:

a) eating less - it does seem obvious but beware hidden calories - nuts and fruit are very high in calories.

b) no carbs after 6 pm. Carbs are converted to energy and if you don't use them - i.e. you go to bed and sleep, then they are converted to fat.

c) I took up running - started with a couple of miles and gradually increased to a half marathon. You don't need to do that much, but daily exercise for half an hour .

The weight will drop off - honestly.

Also keep a food diary and see where your downfalls are - be very honest with yourself
    Than k you for the advice,I will try this. But how long did it take u to lose 2.5 st

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Words_are_dumb)
    Just don't eat junk food.

Avoid sweets and energy drinks.

Drink loads of water, aim for 2l a day

Try and eat at least 1 portion of fruit

Exercise in your spare time. Like if you're playing computer games, take a brake every 30-60 mins and just get your self out of breath some how.

Always go for the healthier option.

Have breakfast everyday.

Finally, only eat till you are no longer hungry, not until you are full.

By doing this I managed to lose about 2.5st over about half a year. It was pretty tough to start with. But I eventually got used to it and I am now a far healthier weight than I was before.

Hope this helps :^)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice, does drinking alot of water make such a big difference? Ive tried for a couple of days and i see no difference on the scale or in the mirror

ReputationRep:
    Hello there from the life science student.
    It's very hard to lose weight by exercise only. To lose weight u need to restrict your energy intake which is any food u r eating. Just cut down the junk food, don't quit just reduce eating them. Oils, bread, spread etc..
    I eat absolute everything restricting my diet is something I can never do. I just love my food. I don't gain wait and I exercise a lot

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I lost 25% of my bodyweight (having previously always been overweight and self-conscious about it) by using MyFitnessPal - logging the calories I ate and trying to keep my intake below a certain level. Of course, if you want to remain healthy, you need to also care about what foods those calories come from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thanks for the advice, does drinking alot of water make such a big difference? Ive tried for a couple of days and i see no difference on the scale or in the mirror
    You have to drink water for a few weeks to see any effect. A few days won't magically do it.

ReputationRep:
    I found that it would just make me less hungry. None of these will have massive next day effects. There is no healthy way to lose weight that quickly. Just stick with it, put the effort in and it will work :^)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have 3 cups of green tea a day. No lie this will help speed up your metabolism (so you'll pee a lot as well) and trim down real good (make no mistake, u won't get abs lol and don't just rely on this). If you're not used to green tea start off with 1 cup a day for 1 month then go up to 2 in the next month then 3 on the third month. Should work well by doing this for only 3 months, you'll lose a lot (as long as you don't eat too much).

Faster metabolism will make you hungrier as well, so if you want to reduce the amount you eat, drink 1 cup of water before every meal (apart from breakfast e.g cereal) because then you'll feel full more quickly and so you will eat less.

Also try to east 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones, and try to eat less. Moreover, try to exercise as well if u can, even if it's just jogging for 20 minutes of doing squats (muscle removes 3x more fat than jogging) but just doing those things i said before would help at least a bit.

i know a girl who did the green tea thing the way i just told u and u could rlly tell the difference after 3 months. i'm currently drinking (well trying to) drink 1 cup a day coz i don't have time for 3 lol and it does help especially after food.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

What works is a calorific deficit. That is eating slightly less than your body needs to maintain itself, which results in weight loss.
    You are only slightly overweight and could lose about a stone to get back to a normal weight.

The easiest way to know whether you are at a eficit or not is to get some kitchen scales and weigh your food. Thats the best way to know how much you are eating.
    Your maintenance calories are c 1700 calories a day.

To lose 1lb a week you should eat c 500 calories less per day as 3500 cals = a theoretical 1lb. If it were me then id eat 1200 calories per day plus any exercise calories i burned. Swimming, wlaking, gym for 30-45 mins a day will give you an extra 200-300 calories to eat per day. Eating 1400-1500 cals per day is doable.

Weight loss is not linear so you have to be patient and you lose weight over time. I said you could lose 1 stone, so thats 14lbs =14 weeks and then id add the same again 14 weeks for slow downs and hiccups. So I think you cna lose 1 stone in c 4-6 months. Its much better to do it slow and steady rather than severe and give up plus binge.

Join my fitnesspal and start tracking those calories.
    You have to be patient, focused and determined if you wnat to lose weight, ots a slow process and people give up.

Just to add:

Cardio exercise burns most calories for time spent and helps heart and lungs. Try and walk, rdie a bike, swim each day for 30mins +. Walk to uni etc, walk to the shops.
    Resistance exercises/ weights helps increase fat loss by maintaining muscle. This will help you lose fat and keep body shape plus plenty of other benefits. 3x a week is ideal.

Weight loss is calories, but if you use nutrition to help you then you get a healthier diet, feel fuller and this makes it easier to stick to your calorie target.

Its all about your deficit over time if you wnat to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    From previous experience last year, I lost 25kg in a matter of 3/4 months.....just by getting good sleep and eating v low carb intake 5 days a week

Just eat a sh*t load of protein and half a plate of veg. If you're hungry drink water and a fruit and you'll feel full. Planning on doing this next week to shred once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    in terms of weight: ideal body weight of 5ft men is 50kg and women 45kg. If your a guy your weight would need to be 7stone 12ish (give or take 2 pounds) or 7 stones 1lb if your a gal.

with cardio, 30 minutes (on top of what you do) 5 times a week moderate, with 2 days resistance training is recommended via NICE (NHS clinical guidance people). eat things with low glycaemic index. also regarding sugar intake, the new recommended figure is now 50g/ day for weight loss. regarding calorie intake: everything you ingest (carbs, fat, protein) has calories. the health app for windows 8 pcs / windows 10 even tells you how many calories you should have for your height, weight, age, sex etc. but ideally, aim for 300-600 kcal less than you would need to maintain body weight.

ReputationRep:
    Than k you for the advice,I will try this. But how long did it take u to lose 2.5 st
    About three months - it was really easy once I started running - you also put on muscle which is heavier than fat but you know from your clothes that you are losing weight.

I had a dress that I tried on every week - that it how I know that my regime was working

ReputationRep:
    There are three fundamental components of loosing weight:
    Drink enough water - water makes your metabolism work faster. What is more water is like a 'brush' for your body: it leads toxins and useless things out of your organism.
    Sleep - Unlike water, sleepless nights slow the metabolism.
    Burn more than your eat - Personally I can not imagine my life without jogging. To control the process of burning calories I use Runkeeper app. It shows the speed, the distance and the amount of burned calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What works is a calorific deficit. That is eating slightly less than your body needs to maintain itself, which results in weight loss.
    You are only slightly overweight and could lose about a stone to get back to a normal weight.

The easiest way to know whether you are at a eficit or not is to get some kitchen scales and weigh your food. Thats the best way to know how much you are eating.
    Your maintenance calories are c 1700 calories a day.

To lose 1lb a week you should eat c 500 calories less per day as 3500 cals = a theoretical 1lb. If it were me then id eat 1200 calories per day plus any exercise calories i burned. Swimming, wlaking, gym for 30-45 mins a day will give you an extra 200-300 calories to eat per day. Eating 1400-1500 cals per day is doable.

Weight loss is not linear so you have to be patient and you lose weight over time. I said you could lose 1 stone, so thats 14lbs =14 weeks and then id add the same again 14 weeks for slow downs and hiccups. So I think you cna lose 1 stone in c 4-6 months. Its much better to do it slow and steady rather than severe and give up plus binge.

Join my fitnesspal and start tracking those calories.
    You have to be patient, focused and determined if you wnat to lose weight, ots a slow process and people give up.

Just to add:

Cardio exercise burns most calories for time spent and helps heart and lungs. Try and walk, rdie a bike, swim each day for 30mins +. Walk to uni etc, walk to the shops.
    Resistance exercises/ weights helps increase fat loss by maintaining muscle. This will help you lose fat and keep body shape plus plenty of other benefits. 3x a week is ideal.

Weight loss is calories, but if you use nutrition to help you then you get a healthier diet, feel fuller and this makes it easier to stick to your calorie target.

Its all about your deficit over time if you wnat to lose weight.

Wow thank you so much for all that information it has helped me understand alot
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wow thank you so much for all that information it has helped me understand alot
    Go and join MFP and ask on the forums. once you understand the basics its straightforward and you cna get past all the myths. Deficit is all.

Start when you can be consistent and can commit. Eat less and move more so you are in consistent deficit and your weight will fall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hals)
    Have 3 cups of green tea a day. No lie this will help speed up your metabolism (so you'll pee a lot as well) and trim down real good (make no mistake, u won't get abs lol and don't just rely on this). If you're not used to green tea start off with 1 cup a day for 1 month then go up to 2 in the next month then 3 on the third month. Should work well by doing this for only 3 months, you'll lose a lot (as long as you don't eat too much).

Faster metabolism will make you hungrier as well, so if you want to reduce the amount you eat, drink 1 cup of water before every meal (apart from breakfast e.g cereal) because then you'll feel full more quickly and so you will eat less.

Also try to east 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones, and try to eat less. Moreover, try to exercise as well if u can, even if it's just jogging for 20 minutes of doing squats (muscle removes 3x more fat than jogging) but just doing those things i said before would help at least a bit.

i know a girl who did the green tea thing the way i just told u and u could rlly tell the difference after 3 months. i'm currently drinking (well trying to) drink 1 cup a day coz i don't have time for 3 lol and it does help especially after food.
    This is nonsense. Green tea does not speed up your metabolism remotely enough to burn off a water cracker, let alone help you lose weight. It's the lazy man's diet and it is not backed up by science.

Anyone who claims to have lost a lot of weight from green tea is mistaken, don't doubt they lost weight but the green tea did not help in terms of calories.

Follow tiger999 advice, pretty much what I was about to post anyway OP. And don't fall into any of the nonsense traps and fads people are always posting on her and in magazines and on the internet in general. It's calories in vs calories out. No amount of green tea is going to make up for a high calorie diet.

ReputationRep:
    How long should you spend in the gym
    I need to make about 3 stone after putting so much weight!
    Is 2 hours gym, 4 times a week enough?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.