The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

Hey guys,

I'm in my final year of 6th form and I have 5 offers for Biomedical Science. During the application process I decided I'd really like to do medicine, but my GCSE grades and AS results weren't nearly good enough to apply directly. I got 8 B's, 2 A's and a C at GCSE, with CCDD at AS. I'm predicted 3 Bs at A level, although I believe I can get ABB.

One of my offers if from Queen Mary's University of London, and one of the things that attracted me to it was the way the course there is structured to help students get into a graduate entry medicine course. I'm wondering if there is any point choosing this uni if it's unlikely i'll ever be accepted onto a graduate entry medicine course because of my GCSE grades, and my A Levels most likely not being the 3A*'s a lot of universities expect for first year entry.

Any help would be great. How seriously do admissions tutors for graduate entry medicine take A level grades? Best possible scenario, assuming I get ABB and graduate with a 1st in biomedical science will I have a chance of being accepted?
Original post by Biffalo_
Hey guys,

I'm in my final year of 6th form and I have 5 offers for Biomedical Science. During the application process I decided I'd really like to do medicine, but my GCSE grades and AS results weren't nearly good enough to apply directly. I got 8 B's, 2 A's and a C at GCSE, with CCDD at AS. I'm predicted 3 Bs at A level, although I believe I can get ABB.

One of my offers if from Queen Mary's University of London, and one of the things that attracted me to it was the way the course there is structured to help students get into a graduate entry medicine course. I'm wondering if there is any point choosing this uni if it's unlikely i'll ever be accepted onto a graduate entry medicine course because of my GCSE grades, and my A Levels most likely not being the 3A*'s a lot of universities expect for first year entry.

Any help would be great. How seriously do admissions tutors for graduate entry medicine take A level grades? Best possible scenario, assuming I get ABB and graduate with a 1st in biomedical science will I have a chance of being accepted?

I think if you get a 2:1 or better in biomed you stand a good chance of getting onto graduate medicine (but it is still extremely competitive). Funding is an issue as well for graduates I think. I don't think your AS levels will be that big of a problem.
Hey guys,

I heard for queen Mary, if you do biomed really well in the first year, there are 20 places up for grabs for medicine,
I'm not too sure of this, but you can check this out.
Also, I recommend instead taking a gap yea and applying for the foundation programmes:
Southampton, UEA, kings, Nottingham, etc.
They have lower entry requirements for people who don't necessarily have the grades.
Just make sure ur eligible for it first before taking a gap year, otherwise, go for biomed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know of any GEPs which care about GCSEs. And there are a good few which have minimal A level requirements, or no requirements at all.

My advice would be to keeping working hard for your A2s and keep GEM as the goal you're working towards.
Reply 4
Getting into a graduate entry course is based on performance at gamsat or ukcat and a strong interview. I'm therefore not really sure how the QMUL course could be structured to help you with this in a way that would be significantly different to other courses, so don't let this point be the key factor in your choice.
Reply 5
There did use to be a scheme where the top X scores were guaranteed an interview for Medicine at QMUL/Barts, but beyond that I don't think there's any particular advantage. Better to go somewhere where you'll be happy for 3 years, studying a subject you'll enjoy, and this will give you the best chance of getting a place on a GEP.
Reply 6
Their website says the top twenty performers get access to their five year medicine course, so it depends on whether this would be financially feasible for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
I heard for queen Mary, if you do biomed really well in the first year, there are 20 places up for grabs for medicine,
I'm not too sure of this, but you can check this out.
Also, I recommend instead taking a gap yea and applying for the foundation programmes:
Southampton, UEA, kings, Nottingham, etc.
They have lower entry requirements for people who don't necessarily have the grades.
Just make sure ur eligible for it first before taking a gap year, otherwise, go for biomed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

After looking in to some of the foundation courses you suggested, most seem focused on helping disadvantaged students. Using Southampton as an example, they require you to check 3 boxes from a list of requirements in order to qualify for the programme. This is stuff like coming from a low income family, or living in a disadvantaged area. Do you know of any programmes suitable for students who are just concerned they won't get the grades? Since I don't fall under either of these categories.

At the moment a GEP seems like the best option for eventually finding my way on to a medicine course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
After looking in to some of the foundation courses you suggested, most seem focused on helping disadvantaged students. Using Southampton as an example, they require you to check 3 boxes from a list of requirements in order to qualify for the programme. This is stuff like coming from a low income family, or living in a disadvantaged area. Do you know of any programmes suitable for students who are just concerned they won't get the grades? Since I don't fall under either of these categories.

At the moment a GEP seems like the best option for eventually finding my way on to a medicine course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, these courses are also for people who don't get the grades. I didn't do amazingly in AS, trust me! And I got two interviews from these foundation programmes!
I highly recommend this tbh unless ur not eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending