Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes this is another help I don't know which to choose thread, sorry!

I've been offered to study Law at both Leeds (AAA) and Exeter (AAB), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to go for.

They are both very different, and honestly I'm not too sure which one would suit me best! Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph_af)
    Hi, yes this is another help I don't know which to choose thread, sorry!

I've been offered to study Law at both Leeds (AAA) and Exeter (AAB), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to go for.

They are both very different, and honestly I'm not too sure which one would suit me best! Any thoughts?
    I would thoroughly recommend Exeter. They have recently poured a lot of money into climbing the leagues tables. The administration can be a little chaotic at times, but (some of) the teaching is very good. Real experts and experienced practitioners. Besides, Exeter is a great place to spend three years of your life. Combined with the slightly lower offer, it may be a safer bet.

I don't know anything about Leeds, except that the nightlife is great, the city is full of students and the shopping is not too bad (as with Exeter).

Go to Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    I would thoroughly recommend Exeter. They have recently poured a lot of money into climbing the leagues tables. The administration can be a little chaotic at times, but (some of) the teaching is very good. Real experts and experienced practitioners. Besides, Exeter is a great place to spend three years of your life. Combined with the slightly lower offer, it may be a safer bet.

I don't know anything about Leeds, except that the nightlife is great, the city is full of students and the shopping is not too bad (as with Exeter).

Go to Exeter.
    Thanks for the reply! I do have a rather specific question as to which of the two has better international connections? Especially with places such as Hong Kong, as I ideally would like to work/study abroad at some point but I'm wondering which uni will give me the better opportunity to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Hi even though I am an Exeter applicant, I don't think you will go wrong choosing either one of them. I heard their both pretty reputable for law. I had a conversation with an ex-lawyer while I was staying in Exeter and he suggested Exeter as a great place to do a degree in Law. However, I hear many people say Leeds as well.

Leeds has also been a stong instituition for a long time ...I heard its always been reputable amongst law firms (im only repeating what ive heard from a mixture of ex-Lawyers themeselves to people who have studied Law to family members)

So personally, you'd probably wont go wrong choosing either one of them. Just go inky pinky ponkie.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter AAB offer...WOW. They very rarely give out AAB offers for Law and the admissions department there are so arrogant about your grades. Anything less than AAA is usually seen as bad. I know from dealing with them before. Despite this Exeter does have a much better reputation for Law than Leeds! Both are Russell Group which is good but I would personally would put Exeter as much higher for Law than Leeds. I have a mate doing Law at Exeter and its very good and the famous Bracton Law Society has brilliant links with the top commercial law firms. Bear in mind if you miss AAB by even 1 mark they will say no to you, I missed my AAA offer by a mark last summer and they said no... So if you want to go there do not expect them to be even the slightly bit lenient on missing your offer. I now have a place lined up for September at another good Russell Group uni for law though.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    Despite this Exeter does have a much better reputation for Law than Leeds! Both are Russell Group which is good but I would personally would put Exeter as much higher for Law than Leeds.
    Hi thanks so much for the reply!
    I've heard a lot about how Exeter have a better reputation for Law than Leeds from various browsing around Student Room, but the issue is I've also looked through a lot of league tables and it seems that especially for Law, Leeds seems to be ranked much higher, and I was wondering why this is if Exeter is generally better regarded?
    I'm not doubting you, I'm just very confused by this!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot about how Exeter have a better reputation for Law than Leeds from various browsing around Student Room, but the issue is I've also looked through a lot of league tables and it seems that especially for Law, Leeds seems to be ranked much higher, and I was wondering why this is if Exeter is generally better regarded?
    Yes, Exeter is rising through the ranks within the past few years and I think it will do even better! The league tables should only be taken as reference, so don't rely too much on them.

ReputationRep:
    Although league tables can be useful, they do have to be taken with a pinch of salt as some league tables rate Surrey higher for Law than a lot of the Russell Group unis, Exeter is usually top 20. The Guardian league table for Law this year is very weird as Oxford Brookes is higher than Bristol by a long way and Bristol is a top 10 UK law school... Exeter, from what I know from a mate who does Law there, have excellent networking with the city Law firms, they have a great Law society called the Bracton Law Society. Every Christmas they usually have a networking dinner with partners from Magic Circle and big city firms! The only thing to keep in mind about Exeter is leniency with grades, they are not very lenient. A lot of Oxbridge rejects go to Exeter and does have a bit of a posh toff reputation, so if you do pick it as your first choice you just have to hope you get your grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    Although league tables can be useful, they do have to be taken with a pinch of salt as some league tables rate Surrey higher for Law than a lot of the Russell Group unis, Exeter is usually top 20. The Guardian league table for Law this year is very weird as Oxford Brookes is higher than Bristol by a long way and Bristol is a top 10 UK law school... Exeter, from what I know from a mate who does Law there, have excellent networking with the city Law firms, they have a great Law society called the Bracton Law Society. Every Christmas they usually have a networking dinner with partners from Magic Circle and big city firms! The only thing to keep in mind about Exeter is leniency with grades, they are not very lenient. A lot of Oxbridge rejects go to Exeter and does have a bit of a posh toff reputation, so if you do pick it as your first choice you just have to hope you get your grades
    This is true, but not usually for law. Oxbridge law rejects tend to go to other A*AA universities (LSE, UCL, Durham, KCL, Notts), or Bristol. Some do choose Exeter, but not very many. I am not sure why you had so much difficulty getting in with AAB, and whilst I accept that most people I know here have AAA at least, there are many people with AAB and even one person I know of with ABB.

Whilst I am happy you're hyping my uni and my course, let's not go over the top!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    This is true, but not usually for law. Oxbridge law rejects tend to go to other A*AA universities (LSE, UCL, Durham, KCL, Notts), or Bristol. Some do choose Exeter, but not very many. I am not sure why you had so much difficulty getting in with AAB, and whilst I accept that most people I know here have AAA at least, there are many people with AAB and even one person I know of with ABB.

Whilst I am happy you're hyping my uni and my course, let's not go over the top!

Hi thanks for the reply! Do you happen to have an opinion between Leeds and Exeter? ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the reply! Do you happen to have an opinion between Leeds and Exeter? ☺️
    I'd say they're both quite good. Though a classic test people on this site suggest to use is looking at the university's law societies and seeing which one has the more competitive list of sponsors. Leeds has some good names, but Exeter's has every member of the Magic Circle as sponsors and a handful of US law firms (such as White & Case). Likely to make a huge difference? No, but the path should be slightly easier at Exeter.

I can't speak for the comparative university experience because obviously I have not studied at Leeds. Would you want to live in quite an expansive metropolitan city like Leeds or a more laid back "city" like Exeter, though really Exeter is more of an average-sized town with a cathedral and airport.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they're both quite good. Though a classic test people on this site suggest to use is looking at the university's law societies and seeing which one has the more competitive list of sponsors. Leeds has some good names, but Exeter's has every member of the Magic Circle as sponsors and a handful of US law firms (such as White & Case). Likely to make a huge difference? No, but the path should be slightly easier at Exeter.

I can't speak for the comparative university experience because obviously I have not studied at Leeds. Would you want to live in quite an expansive metropolitan city like Leeds or a more laid back "city" like Exeter, though really Exeter is more of an average-sized town with a cathedral and airport.
    Thank you, that's actually quite a helpful way to look at it!
    I've lived in a small town my whole life, so the only slightly bigger upgrade to somewhere like Exeter sounds appealing due to the familiarity I guess, but at the same time the idea of something new like a big city such as Leeds is also quite appealing! I guess I just have to think about which area would suit me better!

You said that you attend Exeter in your earlier post, do you have any general comments about the uni and the city?

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    You said that you attend Exeter in your earlier post, do you have any general comments about the uni and the city?
    I studied in Exeter for three years 2012-2015 and looking forward to heading back there for a week to graduate after my year abroad. The first thing I would say generally about the uni and the city is that everybody who goes there loves Exeter, students, friends who visit, even the parents of students I know who also went there still hark on about how fabulous it was in a way that no other people talk about their uni. You have beach, you have Dartmoor, you have a city centre (just a little one) you have clubs, you have shopping and you have a lot of coffee shops/cafes and even more pubs. (just say the words "tea on the green" or "the Impy" to an Exeter alumni and see what happens.) Unless you are utterly broken as a human, you will love your time at Exeter.

But I'm sure someone would say the same about Leeds. Try to visit them both!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    I studied in Exeter for three years 2012-2015 and looking forward to heading back there for a week to graduate after my year abroad. The first thing I would say generally about the uni and the city is that everybody who goes there loves Exeter, students, friends who visit, even the parents of students I know who also went there still hark on about how fabulous it was in a way that no other people talk about their uni. You have beach, you have Dartmoor, you have a city centre (just a little one) you have clubs, you have shopping and you have a lot of coffee shops/cafes and even more pubs. (just say the words "tea on the green" or "the Impy" to an Exeter alumni and see what happens.) Unless you are utterly broken as a human, you will love your time at Exeter.

But I'm sure someone would say the same about Leeds. Try to visit them both!!

The nicest Wetherspoon in the UK and the finest breakfast hash a man can find. Respect.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am actually quite impressed by your taste. So many people would mention Old Firehouse or the Ram, which truly pale in comparison to those two beauties.

ReputationRep:
    So many people would mention Old Firehouse or the Ram
    No one would mention Old Firehouse. It's called firehouse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 2, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.