Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious to know not that I would want to enter a polygamous relationship.
    Also guys it would be great if you could use sources such as links to show your statements are valid/legit.
    It seems to be only legal in certain Islamic states but the majority of countries are completely against it.

ReputationRep:
    Because marriage.

Marriage is essentially a financial contract. If you could marry anyone and everyone there would be no point to marriage legislatively.

You can still have as many partners as you want.

ReputationRep:
    I'll direct you to what the ''official'' religion of the UK has been for a very long time and then you can conclude why.

ReputationRep:
    Men are biologically polyamarous creatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I'll direct you to what the ''official'' religion of the UK has been for a very long time and then you can conclude why.
    But having numerous civil partnerships is surely illegal too?

ReputationRep:
    Part of it is certain religions against it are influencing law. Because when many nations and governments were being founded and established, religion was more mainstream and common, a way of life, a reason for death, etc.

But now it's about money. It costs to divorce. Sadly. It is also is beneficial to get married legally because of spousal rights during marriage and after, many of which I don't know of specifically because I'm not married. Prenups, alimony, assets, salary/joints, etc...

ReputationRep:
    What was the 'official religion' in the UK? See this would make sense if it was only the UK that banned polygamy but what about countries such as Thailand, Australia and even Iraq and Syria that aren't Christian nations which all hold restrictions on polygamy? It's more than just an 'official religion'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    What was the 'official religion' in the UK? See this would make sense if it was only the UK that banned polygamy but what about countries such as Thailand, Australia and even Iraq and Syria that aren't Christian nations which all hold restrictions on polygamy? It's more than just an 'official religion'.
    Then obviously...look at their official religions.

And find anti-polygamy?

It's also not just about religion, it's economic to marry/divorce.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity in '''''''recent''''''' times.

I am giving you the answer as to why it is illegal in the UK and I imagine religion is the source for almost all countries.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindorian)
    Then obviously...look at their official religions.

And find anti-polygamy?

It's also not just about religion, it's economic to marry/divorce.
    Sorry realised polygamous civil marriage is now legal but what about Syria? Islam does not go against polygamy. Yea, it's definitely not because of religion or at least not solely.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity in '''''''recent''''''' times.

I am giving you the answer as to why it is illegal in the UK and I imagine religion is the source for almost all countries.
    Not trying to be rude guys but any sources to back up your statements? Not that I disagree but so far everyone's just saying what it seems like when this may be far from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to be rude guys but any sources to back up your statements?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindorian)
    :confused:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    It's bigotry and legislative inertia, basically.

Under a system of gender equality, there is no good reason to deny that we must keep evolving until an adult, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, monogamy or polyamory, race, or religion is free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage (and any of those without the others) with any and all consenting adults. Polyamory, polygamy, open relationships are not for everyone, but they are for some. The limited same-gender freedom to marry is a great and historic step, but is NOT full marriage equality, because equality "just for some" is not equality. Let's stand up for EVERY ADULT'S right to marry the person(s) they love. Get on the right side of history!

http://marriage-equality.blogspot.co...arguments.html

ReputationRep:
    The Christian rulers made it like that

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.