Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm approaching my 17th birthday and planning on getting a motorcycle and I have a couple questions to ask.

1) WR125 X or the MT125? (Both by Yamaha). I think they're both gorgeous but i can not make up which one i want to get. Can anyone help me decide with some facts and opinions?

2) Will I get bored on a 125? Reason being if i would then i would probably opt for a Honda MSX 125/ Grom because many Motovloggers seem to have lots of fun on them. But the Honda wouldn't be my first choice if getting bored isn't the case.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    1. My pal used to have a WR400 which was a great bike. They make good commuters in supermoto form (big suspension travel and upright position, you can ride them like a hooligan and it will respond well to it). LOVE the styling of the MT though.

As for facts. A 125 is a 125. It will weigh 100-140kg (except 125 cruisers, they are awful). It will have 11-15bhp (minus a few examples). It should do 65...ish and get 90ish mpg. They are all made in China nowadays with the exception of the ones which are stupid expensive (Yamaha YZF... £4k for a 125 WTF), so build quality is 'alright'. My recomendation is get one thats a couple of years old that doesnt look like its been slid down the road more than a few times and dont pay more than ~£1500 on a first bike (hell mine was £800). I wouldnt put much weight on the model you are getting, the speed and handling characteristics are pretty much the same amongst 125s. The good Chinese ones (Sinnis/Lexmoto/ WK etc) are pretty much matching the cheaper Japanese ones (CBF/YBR) nowadays so dont be put off by a left of field brand. My first bike was a Sinnis and lasted me 2 years and 11k miles (I bought it at 2 years old and 7k miles) with relatively few problems. And I barely lost any money selling it (£800 > £600)

Get your A2/A done asap and lose the L plates.

2. I wouldnt recommend an MSX at all. They are an overpriced joke bike, probably great fun to fanny about on but they are too slow and uncomfortable to actually use daily in my opinion.

Will you get bored? That depends. I loved my 125 right up to the moment I bought a much faster car then to be honest it kind of lost its appeal. Upgraded to a 500 which was great fun

Sadly I no longer have a bike, Had to sell my GPZ500 since I couldnt afford to run it alongside my car, and I needed the practicality of a car until I start working full time again, or move somewhere warmer .

ReputationRep:
    Whatever happens and wherever you go when you die, could you save me a seat?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the quick and great answer! The bike would be for commuting and getting to and from school. So the supermoto sounds great for that. How do you think the MT would do with commuting? I looked at chinese bikes but the japanese bikes looked so much better. The price isn't an issue with what I'm buying either so I was looking at a brand new MT or WR. Again thanks for the great answer!

ReputationRep:
    The right 125 will do 70mph and 35 up a hill.

Will you get bored? Yep, but it'll be quick enough to make progress but not fast enough that you'll kill yourself.
    Have fun and don't forget your life-savers!

ReputationRep:
    I have the MT07 - similar looks to the 125...

However until you start looking at bigger bikes where the layout of the engine will actually start impacting the ride, think of a 125 as a 125. You'll find a street oriented one better for the road/commute and unless you're going to do a bit of greenlaning there's no point in a scrambler style 125z

An MT125, as a new model, is going to be expensive. If you can afford it, then why not...

I bought a CBR125R as my first bike - £900 and I can't fault it. Useless for long journeys but £5 for 200 miles and cheap insurance/VED meant it was really affordable at uni. Although I never dropped it, (I'd ridden abroad a bit so had some experience) some people will drop their first bikes so best to get something you're not precious about.

Yamaha YBR125 is worth considering too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ^ Ah, now for road bikes I don't think you can beat a Varadero 125.
    The honda V-twin is a jewel of an engine and right on the power limit for a learner.
    Plus... it's a big big sized frame so you won't feel like a bear in a pram!
    This one was mine...

ReputationRep:
    If you want something more fun get a 2-stroke(a derestricited Aprilia RS125 will reach 100mph). However they guzzle oil and petrol compared to a 4-stroke and break down more.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for the great answers!

Shaymarriott, I did think of choosing a cheaper 125 like a cbr but then i thought i didn't really want a sport bike body position for a 125 so thats why i opted for the mt or wr because of their upright riding position. Also i wanted something brand new so i know i would have zero problems with it. A local yamaha dealer of mine are doing this deal atm and they pay for your cbt and 10% of riding gear. So i liked that deal where your getting a new bike with deals for gear and free cbt. Likewise with JC, i wanted something new that i won't have any problems with.

Thanks again guys!

ReputationRep:
    New doesnt neccesarily = problem free...

I also had a VT125. Bought it with 1600 miles on the clock.
    Nice alternative if you want a cruiser style bike and you get that glorious honda v twin engine too!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe JC your 125s where so much nicer than mine.

I had a Sinnis (Qingqi) Stealth

Which was a fantastic little commuter, all it needed was its yearly oil change and the carbeurettor cleaned

And a Hyosung Xr125 which I managed to crash halfway up a mountain 3months after I bought it. The engine is still sitting in my parents shed. That one was £250, 7 years old with no MOT. All it needed was an exhaust repair and a new horn for its MOT.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.