Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been reading through the posts. Firstly, I wanted to say we need to be careful when start resorting to objective but incongruous information, such as REF research statistics and most importantly LEAGUE TABLES. Not only are these kind of statistics susceptible to change year on year, do they really tell the true story of how good a course really is? One professor publishing 3 amazing books in anthropology does not mean that this "world leading" anthropology department will take your fancy? Moreover just browsed through the league tables and I saw that (with all due respect) Lancaster and Loughborough in both the Guardian and the Complete University Guide were ranked above UCL. In the complete university guide Surrey is 8th in the UK! Does this mean that Surrey,Lancaster & Loughborough are "better" than UCL?

Anyway in terms of the UCL vs LSE argument....

Quite a number of the UCL advocates over LSE in this forum and other I have seen, have appeared on LSE applicant forums. Soon after they get a rejection from LSE, well then it's UCL to death do us part.
    I do think UCL is a fantastic uni, I could've picked them, and I may still choose to do my postgrad there. But I wanted to go to the most prestigious university I had gotten an offer at, to both challenge myself and develop my academic potential. The best university I received an offer from was LSE.

To put into context LSE's economics programme is twice as competitive as UCL's. It is MUCH much easier to get into UCL than LSE. Even on the right of my screen in the latest discussions box someone posted "UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB. There's no way you will hear news like that for LSE when the yearly acceptance rate is 7-8%.

It is true that you can still get great job opportunities at UCL, and apparently the social scene is better, but I think this too is controversial. What would a uni with the right social life look like for you?

LSE is not equal with UCL. That is truly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1000)
    Been reading through the posts. Firstly, I wanted to say we need to be careful when start resorting to objective but incongruous information, such as REF research statistics and most importantly LEAGUE TABLES. Not only are these kind of statistics susceptible to change year on year, do they really tell the true story of how good a course really is? One professor publishing 3 amazing books in anthropology does not mean that this "world leading" anthropology department will take your fancy? Moreover just browsed through the league tables and I saw that (with all due respect) Lancaster and Loughborough in both the Guardian and the Complete University Guide were ranked above UCL. In the complete university guide Surrey is 8th in the UK! Does this mean that Surrey,Lancaster & Loughborough are "better" than UCL?

Anyway in terms of the UCL vs LSE argument....

Quite a number of the UCL advocates over LSE in this forum and other I have seen, have appeared on LSE applicant forums. Soon after they get a rejection from LSE, well then it's UCL to death do us part.
    I do think UCL is a fantastic uni, I could've picked them, and I may still choose to do my postgrad there. But I wanted to go to the most prestigious university I had gotten an offer at, to both challenge myself and develop my academic potential. The best university I received an offer from was LSE.

To put into context LSE's economics programme is twice as competitive as UCL's. It is MUCH much easier to get into UCL than LSE. Even on the right of my screen in the latest discussions box someone posted "UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB. There's no way you will hear news like that for LSE when the yearly acceptance rate is 7-8%.

It is true that you can still get great job opportunities at UCL, and apparently the social scene is better, but I think this too is controversial. What would a uni with the right social life look like for you?

LSE is not equal with UCL. That is truly ridiculous.
    Dubious comments in the last couple of paragraphs, but no need to stir an argument again in this post. I've made the decision and firmed LSE, so unless people believe this thread is beneficial to other users, I'm happy to call it quits and thank many people for the advice they have given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest115)
    Dubious comments in the last couple of paragraphs, but no need to stir an argument again in this post. I've made the decision and firmed LSE, so unless people believe this thread is beneficial to other users, I'm happy to call it quits and thank many people for the advice they have given.
    I don't think dubious is the right word, I would say controversial lol. I heard reports that the econ programme is twice as competitive and there is also a thread with someone being predicted AAB that has an offer from UCL. But I agree, no need to restart a stir. Slightly annoyed, I came in late I would've loved to be in that debate.

I look forward to seeing you in September, I firmed LSE too!

ReputationRep:
    LSE > UCL at everything they share in common.

ReputationRep:
    I am an undergraduate from U.S. and quite frankly, I only knew the big 4 (Ox, cam, LSE and IC) before I seriously considered to apply for a graduate program in UK.
    The discussion of which is better between UCL and LSE is hilarious. Either domestic rank or world rank cannot completely represent how the college is until you get a chance to study there. UCL definitely is an outstanding school on many perspectives. So as LSE.
    Besides, I think LSE has such high international reputation not just because of its great economic related programs but also of political science, history, sociology, communication and many many other programs, most of which indeed rank pretty high on an international level. I firm LSE but it's just my personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, what kind of rankings is everyone looking at? How can UCL be top 10 globally if the 8 Ivy Leagues Duke, MIT, Chicago, Stanford are leagues ahead of it. In fact, any U.S. top 25 would be considered better than UCL.Outside the UK, everytime my UCL friend gets asked where he studies, people say “you mean UCLA”? UCL does have a great reputation in the UK though.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.